99 replies to this topic

#41 cat & beard

our fluoride is gluten free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Shariq, once again I want to thank you for your ability to articulate what the rest of us dum-dums can't figure out.

#42 KajusX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

In addition to everything you guys are saying about the racial overtones in Miley's performance, am I correct in that I swear at one point she grabbed the face of one of the woman wearing the big teddy bears and sang right into it for a beat during a part of the chorus or something? I saw that and was like, "WTF is even happening here? I'm not cool with any of this."
Likes: Tomatoes, umbrellas (all kinds), some dogs, most cats

#43 wolfhaley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostKajusX, on 28 August 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

In addition to everything you guys are saying about the racial overtones in Miley's performance, am I correct in that I swear at one point she grabbed the face of one of the woman wearing the big teddy bears and sang right into it for a beat during a part of the chorus or something? I saw that and was like, "WTF is even happening here? I'm not cool with any of this."

Even worse, she grabbed one of the girls' booties and motorboated it with her tongue out, and then smacked it in a degrading manner.

#44 Todd Mason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Meanwhile, Winfrey is (also) just as self-aggrandizing as Nanjani and Leggero suggest (every bit of charity from her seems super-plastered with her brand, and often funded by others, and sometimes not so very helpful...such as the school she was credited with funding where abuses were rampant), and unlike young Cyrus, she's not remotely a kid.

In fact, Oprah-worship is a part of why one heavily advertised Earwolf podcast is a tough thing to slog through.

#45 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Awesome episode, tons of extremely funny little moments, great job by Natasha and Kumail. But the title should have been "Dazzle me, Dalai!"

#46 daveB from Oakland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

View Postcat & beard, on 28 August 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

I 100% agree with Natasha, I wish I could get high like Reggie. I just get panic attacks.

I don't know what movie Kumail is talking about, but it sounds very similar to the excellent book "Lords Of Chaos" -- good, interesting read about Norwegian black metal.

http://en.wikipedia...._Light_Takes_Us
Chop off the "En", Chop off the "In"

Stop in!!

Glish Muff!!

#47 Andrew Kristel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCarrboro, NC

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Holy shit! It's the reappearance of Sloppy Timmy. Where have you been Timmy?

#48 Dan Engler

Ombudsman

• Administrators
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

Great chemistry between these three. As much as I love the modern incarnation of Comedy Bang Bang, there's something I miss about the Indie 103.1 days, when a bunch of comedians just got together to shoot the shit.

That notwithstanding, they failed to mention Natasha's new web series:

Disclaimer: I am not an Earwolf employee. Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of Midroll Media LLC.

#49 Bruce Reid Robinson II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

View Postcat & beard, on 28 August 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Kumail and Howard in one room is like way too much handsome for this heterosexual guy.

I was thinking this all day long. They are both tall and have super chiseled features PLUS they're really talented and lousy with charm. I'm going to have to re-think some things.

P.S. April and Natty Leggs picking at Howard in tandem would be amazing. MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

#50 Poika

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

Great episode... great chemistry! Also, it's called "Lee Daniels' The Butler" because some other studio had a script called The Butler and there were legal issues.

#51 cat & beard

our fluoride is gluten free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostTodd Mason, on 28 August 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

Meanwhile, Winfrey is (also) just as self-aggrandizing as Nanjani and Leggero suggest (every bit of charity from her seems super-plastered with her brand, and often funded by others, and sometimes not so very helpful...such as the school she was credited with funding where abuses were rampant), and unlike young Cyrus, she's not remotely a kid.

In fact, Oprah-worship is a part of why one heavily advertised Earwolf podcast is a tough thing to slog through.

Like that whole thing where Oprah gave everyone a new car -- everyone was like, oh em gee, Oprah is literally Jesus. No man, fuck that, those cars weren't "gifts", they were "charitable donations". All those people with a new car? They had to pay taxes on them (which, depending on the state, can be several thousand dollars). And Oprah? She got to deduct them from her taxes. And if you decide to sell the car? Guess what, that's more income you have to declare, along with the car, which now puts you into a higher bracket.

Fuck you, Oprah.

#52 PuncturedJesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

I haven't skipped an episode of Who Charted in months. Usually with a guest heavy show, I pick and choose, but Howard and Kulap have been on fire, individually and together.

#53 Michael Wo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

I agree that the Miley stuff is tacky & degrading on several levels, but let's not give a free pass to Mr. "These blurred lines, I know you want it" grinding on a girl young enough to be his daughter.

#54 must turd

half animal, part party machine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostMichael Wo, on 28 August 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

I agree that the Miley stuff is tacky & degrading on several levels, but let's not give a free pass to Mr. "These blurred lines, I know you want it" grinding on a girl young enough to be his daughter.

young enough to be his daughter? gimmie a break she's 20, he's 36. thats a fuckin stretch.

people gotta cool their jets with all this shit. something "outrageous" like this happens at the VMAs every year. howard was spot on, she's young, shes having fun and being stupid. get over it people

#55 PuncturedJesus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

View Postmust turd, on 28 August 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

young enough to be his daughter? gimmie a break she's 20, he's 36. thats a fuckin stretch.

people gotta cool their jets with all this shit. something "outrageous" like this happens at the VMAs every year. howard was spot on, she's young, shes having fun and being stupid. get over it people

Also, is it just me, or did he look SUPER-UNCOMFORTABLE with her grinding?

#56 subject117

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

View Postbigicecream, on 28 August 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

The hit song writer that Natty Leggs was talking about is this woman, Ester Dean (I think):

http://www.newyorker...a_fact_seabrook

It's an incredible read and I highly recommend it.

Also, I didn't know there could be a more infectious laugh than KuKu's but Natasha has it. Great episode.

I'm pretty sure she must have been talking about Wie's favorite snaggle-toothed Australian, Sia Furler, seeing as she wrote the lyrics for "Diamonds".

And now I'm reminded of the great quizzes Howard used to do, eg "Snaggle-Tooth or Italy". He should bring those back. Just think of all the unpurchased goods and services just sitting there at the Earwolf Walking Mall and nobody with the Comedy Credits to redeem them!

#57 KajusX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostDan Engler, on 28 August 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

Great chemistry between these three. As much as I love the modern incarnation of Comedy Bang Bang, there's something I miss about the Indie 103.1 days, when a bunch of comedians just got together to shoot the shit.

That notwithstanding, they failed to mention Natasha's new web series:

That looks great! The world needs more Moshe Kasher, and the fact that he's a speedo-clad drink-slinging man servant is hilarious, especially because of his legendary hairy arms. I also love seeing projects like this because they help inform the comedic friend circles everyone runs in (for instance, of course Chelsea Handler and a lot of Chelsea Lately panelists are collaborating, due to Natasha's involvement with the program).
Likes: Tomatoes, umbrellas (all kinds), some dogs, most cats

#58 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

View Postmust turd, on 28 August 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Her, and your definition, of having "fun" and "being stupid" degrades other people.

#59 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostKajusX, on 28 August 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Rhianna's reaction sums it up perfectly.
Posted Image

#60 must turd

half animal, part party machine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 29 August 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Her, and your definition, of having "fun" and "being stupid" degrades other people.

degrading to who? other than to herself. what the fuck is twerking or "rachet culture" if not inherently degrading? and yeah i said it was stupid, i'm not defending it, i'm saying all this outrage is a bunch of phony baloney dogpiling by people love to get outraged and over intellectualize and cherish the sanctity of pop culture trash. if she was carrying on like a dumbie in gg allen shirt you'd all be talking about how disrespectful she is to "scum fuck culture"