🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Brett Arnold

Episode 143 — Normies

Meanwhile, Winfrey is (also) just as self-aggrandizing as Nanjani and Leggero suggest (every bit of charity from her seems super-plastered with her brand, and often funded by others, and sometimes not so very helpful...such as the school she was credited with funding where abuses were rampant), and unlike young Cyrus, she's not remotely a kid.

In fact, Oprah-worship is a part of why one heavily advertised Earwolf podcast is a tough thing to slog through.

Like that whole thing where Oprah gave everyone a new car -- everyone was like, oh em gee, Oprah is literally Jesus. No man, fuck that, those cars weren't "gifts", they were "charitable donations". All those people with a new car? They had to pay taxes on them (which, depending on the state, can be several thousand dollars). And Oprah? She got to deduct them from her taxes. And if you decide to sell the car? Guess what, that's more income you have to declare, along with the car, which now puts you into a higher bracket.

Fuck you, Oprah.

• Like 1

I haven't skipped an episode of Who Charted in months. Usually with a guest heavy show, I pick and choose, but Howard and Kulap have been on fire, individually and together.

I agree that the Miley stuff is tacky & degrading on several levels, but let's not give a free pass to Mr. "These blurred lines, I know you want it" grinding on a girl young enough to be his daughter.

I agree that the Miley stuff is tacky & degrading on several levels, but let's not give a free pass to Mr. "These blurred lines, I know you want it" grinding on a girl young enough to be his daughter.

young enough to be his daughter? gimmie a break she's 20, he's 36. thats a fuckin stretch.

people gotta cool their jets with all this shit. something "outrageous" like this happens at the VMAs every year. howard was spot on, she's young, shes having fun and being stupid. get over it people

• Like 1

young enough to be his daughter? gimmie a break she's 20, he's 36. thats a fuckin stretch.

people gotta cool their jets with all this shit. something "outrageous" like this happens at the VMAs every year. howard was spot on, she's young, shes having fun and being stupid. get over it people

Also, is it just me, or did he look SUPER-UNCOMFORTABLE with her grinding?

The hit song writer that Natty Leggs was talking about is this woman, Ester Dean (I think):

http://www.newyorker...a_fact_seabrook

It's an incredible read and I highly recommend it.

Also, I didn't know there could be a more infectious laugh than KuKu's but Natasha has it. Great episode.

I'm pretty sure she must have been talking about Wie's favorite snaggle-toothed Australian, Sia Furler, seeing as she wrote the lyrics for "Diamonds".

And now I'm reminded of the great quizzes Howard used to do, eg "Snaggle-Tooth or Italy". He should bring those back. Just think of all the unpurchased goods and services just sitting there at the Earwolf Walking Mall and nobody with the Comedy Credits to redeem them!

• Like 1

Great chemistry between these three. As much as I love the modern incarnation of Comedy Bang Bang, there's something I miss about the Indie 103.1 days, when a bunch of comedians just got together to shoot the shit.

That notwithstanding, they failed to mention Natasha's new web series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifyn0D5nmiA

That looks great! The world needs more Moshe Kasher, and the fact that he's a speedo-clad drink-slinging man servant is hilarious, especially because of his legendary hairy arms. I also love seeing projects like this because they help inform the comedic friend circles everyone runs in (for instance, of course Chelsea Handler and a lot of Chelsea Lately panelists are collaborating, due to Natasha's involvement with the program).

Her, and your definition, of having "fun" and "being stupid" degrades other people.

In addition to everything you guys are saying about the racial overtones in Miley's performance, am I correct in that I swear at one point she grabbed the face of one of the woman wearing the big teddy bears and sang right into it for a beat during a part of the chorus or something? I saw that and was like, "WTF is even happening here? I'm not cool with any of this."

Rhianna's reaction sums it up perfectly.

original.gif

• Like 2

Her, and your definition, of having "fun" and "being stupid" degrades other people.

degrading to who? other than to herself. what the fuck is twerking or "rachet culture" if not inherently degrading? and yeah i said it was stupid, i'm not defending it, i'm saying all this outrage is a bunch of phony baloney dogpiling by people love to get outraged and over intellectualize and cherish the sanctity of pop culture trash. if she was carrying on like a dumbie in gg allen shirt you'd all be talking about how disrespectful she is to "scum fuck culture"

rachet culture

Okay, player.

But really, this has been going on for a long time, the VMAs were just the train wreck on the icing on the cake on top of the iceberg. All the reaction gifs from the show, I would hope any thought of shock or disgust would be about even being there and pretending like MTV still matters to music.

degrading to who? other than to herself. what the fuck is twerking or "rachet culture" if not inherently degrading? and yeah i said it was stupid, i'm not defending it, i'm saying all this outrage is a bunch of phony baloney dogpiling by people love to get outraged and over intellectualize and cherish the sanctity of pop culture trash. if she was carrying on like a dumbie in gg allen shirt you'd all be talking about how disrespectful she is to "scum fuck culture"

So, it was degrading to Miley Cyrus to twerk, but not for the black women who she used as props in her performance or the black woman's ass she smacked? I think your tune would be changed if 2Chainz was the one smacking women's asses on stage. I think you would have used the moment to talk about how misogynistic hip-hop is.

But since it's Hannah Montana that's doing it, it all fine and dandy and everybody's making a "big deal" out of nothing.

• Like 1

Okay, player.

But really, this has been going on for a long time, the VMAs were just the train wreck on the icing on the cake on top of the iceberg. All the reaction gifs from the show, I would hope any thought of shock or disgust would be about even being there and pretending like MTV still matters to music.

What does your take on MTV's relevance to the music industry have to do with Miley Cyrus smacking a woman's ass on stage or the fact she is a rich girl that is "playing" at being poor and black?

Miley is a victim of Monarch Mind Control. Most Disney actresses are. Google it.

/davidicke.

So, it was degrading to Miley Cyrus to twerk, but not for the black women who she used as props in her performance or the black woman's ass she smacked? I think your tune would be changed if 2Chainz was the one smacking women's asses on stage. I think you would have used the moment to talk about how misogynistic hip-hop is.

But since it's Hannah Montana that's doing it, it all fine and dandy and everybody's making a "big deal" out of nothing.

they're paid back up dancers voluntarily taking part in a rehearsed awards show music number! so all non starring performers in a musical number are props? now i haven't read anything on it but have any of these performers come out as saying they feel they were degraded? do you find the ass slapping degrading or the idea of twerking and "ratchet culture" degrading. cause they both are! either it's degrading to women or its a racist appropriation of black culture. it can't really be both, because it would imply you think it's more acceptable for the black hip hop community to be degrading to women in this fashion cause they invented this particular brand of misogyny.

and also, 2 chainz was part of the same fucking performance, surrounded by scantily clad ass shaking "props" as you would call them. so whats your point?

Rhianna's reaction sums it up perfectly.

original.gif

I was totally going to post that gif. Even better is Rihanna's friend just to the left. I have to assume Rihanna is also thinking, 'Damn, I'm glad I passed on this.'

Miley is a victim of Monarch Mind Control. Most Disney actresses are. Google it.

/davidicke.

The Conspiracy Wiki on this is down. CLEARLY THE WORK OF THE ILLUMINATI.

• Like 4

Is this the first episode where both hosts weren't in studio? In any case, great job Nattie Leggs and Sloppy Timmy Slotzman!

they're paid back up dancers voluntarily taking part in a rehearsed awards show music number! so all non starring performers in a musical number are props?

Well, if everyone is paid to degrade themselves then everything is fine then? Remember when people were upset about the Kanye West "Monster" video where he surrounded himself with dead-looking white women? Well, since it was voluntary and they were paid, there is absolutely no reason to talk about the deeper issue as to why violence against women in glamorized. Since all of those girls in rap videos are paid, then there is no reason to talk about the deeper issue as to why women in hip-hop are only used a props and background and given respect as artists.

It must be nice to not have to think of any deeper issue about art and just float through life.

do you find the ass slapping degrading or the idea of twerking and "ratchet culture" degrading. cause they both are! either it's degrading to women or its a racist appropriation of black culture. it can't really be both, because it would imply you think it's more acceptable for the black hip hop community to be degrading to women in this fashion cause they invented this particular brand of misogyny.

Well, see, that's the thing. This is not black culture. This is what a rich country white girl "thinks" is black culture. She "playing" at being poor and black without any of the negative consequences that come with it.

Being poor and black in this country means that you grow up in choatic neighborhoods; Miley has been on soundstages her whole childhood.

Being poor and black means that you get subpar schooling and your high school probably doesn't offer a wealth of AP classes or has a nice computer lab; Miley has had private tutors were whole life.

Being poor and black means that you have limited opportunities and even if you have smarts, talent and skill, it is going to be a hard road for you to go because you will be doing something that your parents/aunts/uncles have no experience with; Miley has a father who had a quadruple selling platinum song. All she knows is a life of privilege.

Also, it is both racist and sexist. Black women are women as well and degrading them so that you can shed a "nice girl" image is totally not cool.

and also, 2 chainz was part of the same fucking performance, surrounded by scantily clad ass shaking "props" as you would call them. so whats your point?

And 2Chainz was a part of the performance, but he gets called out on his shit all the time. As do most hip-hop artists because people are tried of seeing women treated like props. Now, if your whole gig is that Miley should be above any criticism -- the same criticism that fellow performers get -- then just say so.

What does your take on MTV's relevance to the music industry have to do with Miley Cyrus smacking a woman's ass on stage or the fact she is a rich girl that is "playing" at being poor and black?

Because my take is I don't give a shit about Miley Cyrus, the VMAs or a manufactured controversy to make either of the two things seem relevant. Not the first time, nor will it be the last, that a popstar appropriates a subculture or has an embarrassing moment, but I could really care less. But don't let junk media tell you otherwise: this is important!

The Conspiracy Wiki on this is down. CLEARLY THE WORK OF THE ILLUMINATI.

Ok, this is something that just popped in my mind. All of the teddy bears in the performance. Is that a reference to pedo-bear? Is this chick shouting out pedofiles?

Because my take is I don't give a shit about Miley Cyrus, the VMAs or a manufactured controversy to make either of the two things seem relevant. Not the first time, nor will it be the last, that a popstar appropriates a subculture or has an embarrassing moment, but I could really care less. But don't let junk media tell you otherwise: this is important!

You're so damned enlightened, I'm surprise you don't just ascend into the heavenly plane to live above us mere mortals.

Howard - Please don't deprive the world of your Lee impression. Its supplied the world with more joy than the real Lee ever has (cheap shot). Also, haven't heard Sloppy Timmy in a while. Gotta go.

You're so damned enlightened, I'm surprise you don't just ascend into the heavenly plane to live above us mere mortals.

If I could, I would do it just to see how you would spin it as the most racist thing that ever happened.

If I could, I would do it just to see how you would spin it as the most racist thing that ever happened.

Yep, black people are the "real" racists, aren't they?