#21 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

View Postmust turd, on 04 September 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

i challenge anyone over the age of 12 to go back and watch billy madison or happy gilmore again and honestly say they are not terrible. cause they are, they are just as unfunny, cheap and crass as any of the new shit, it just seems worse because he's such a higher profile actor and this trash costs way the fuck more to make.

I don't think they are bad and still get some laughs from them. I never expect them to be Dr. Strangelove and sometimes it's satisfying to not take yourself too seriously and laugh at something immature.
Brother

#22 cat & beard

our fluoride is gluten free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

I don't find any of his shtick funny at all, especially when he spends an entire movie in that stupid high pitched voice. Then he did Punch Drunk Love, which was pretty universally praised, but he's not a great dramatic actor; it was more like watching a cat shit in a toilet instead of a litter box, kinda interesting but still just crap.

So many other SNL alumni have made featherweight junk movies like Adam Sandler does, but they are funny, unlike his. Tommy Boy is better than any of Sandler's film; hell, even Chris Farley's motivational speaker sketch on SNL is funnier than anything Sandler has ever done. MacGruber is super dumb and crass but also very funny. The fact that Sandler is doing shit like Jack & Jill is just, I don't know, depressing in a way. He has a bunch of money and could do whatever he wants, but he's just on autopilot.

#23 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Sandler is like the McDonalds of comedy. I would never say that a Big Mac is anywhere as good as a burger from Five Guys or In & Out, but sometimes it is satisfies the urge.

And I thought Punch-Drunk-Love was a so-so movie, but it should be viewed as a Paul Thomas Anderson movie and not an Adam Sandler movie.
Brother

#24 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

I am going to dare say it. Adam Sandler is more like a 7 Eleven burger. the kind you buy when your drunk or stoned.

#25 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

That's a good analogy, and a couple of his movies are like taquitos, which I eat without any drugs or alcohol in my system...
Brother

#26 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostLando, on 04 September 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

That's a good analogy, and a couple of his movies are like taquitos, which I eat without any drugs or alcohol in my system...

I'm a 2/$3 quarter pound Big Bite guy myself.
Child of the Eighties. Man of the Nineties. Man-Child of the Twenty-First Century.

www.facebook.com/RobBrown78

#27 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

I pose a question for you folks. Say that you are sentenced to be given the Clockwork Orange treatment but you are allowed to choose between randomly assigned Adam Sandler or Dane Cook movies. Which do you pick?
Brother

#28 SuperNintendoChalmers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostLando, on 05 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

I pose a question for you folks. Say that you are sentenced to be given the Clockwork Orange treatment but you are allowed to choose between randomly assigned Adam Sandler or Dane Cook movies. Which do you pick?

Sandler and it's not even close.

#29 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Well, based on the size of the body of work, I'd say Dane Cook for no other reason than it would be over sooner. If it was running on an eternal loop, I think I'd still say Cook, because Sandler's films seem to be as much or even more of an assault on your hearing as they are on your eyeballs. In Sandler's case, I think I'd run the risk of losing my sight anyway based on the sheer force and frequency of eye-rolling. I'm afraid that my eyes might somehow detach themselves.
Child of the Eighties. Man of the Nineties. Man-Child of the Twenty-First Century.

#30 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Lando - Why would you not select Adam Sandler vs Dana Carvey. Dane Cook, unlike Adam Sandler I've seen a lot more of Dane Cook work. like Guns, Girls and Gambling. was not that bad, I'll watch any movie like a sucker with Christian Slater in it. I am a fan of his work. also Gary Oldman, he plays elvis in GGG, yep you read that right. Gary Oldman is a master of impersonation.

To be truthful GGG could almost be a HDTGM movie.

#31 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Dana Carvey isn't that controversial is he? Cook is controversial or generally looked down upon. Guns, Girls & Gambling looks a bit like 3000 Miles to Graceland
Brother

#32 Blueman29X

Jim Kata

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

Trick question; I choke on my tongue.

#33 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostLando, on 05 September 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Dana Carvey isn't that controversial is he? Cook is controversial or generally looked down upon. Guns, Girls & Gambling looks a bit like 3000 Miles to Graceland

I would say it's more like Reindeer Games then 3000 Miles to Graceland but it's still good fun. Jeff Fahey is in this movie and I think sorta steals it. but it's a good Friday night movie, hang out with the friends and watch a stupid movie, kinda thing.

#34 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

I go with Dane Cook. He made that one movie with Jessica Simpson, who is sort of nice to look at, and Andy Dick, who is sort of funny. But if you include Cook's standup specials, then I begin to plead to you for mercy.

#35 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 06 September 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

I go with Dane Cook. He made that one movie with Jessica Simpson, who is sort of nice to look at, and Andy Dick, who is sort of funny. But if you include Cook's standup specials, then I begin to plead to you for mercy.

The movie "Mr. Brooks", where he's blackmailing serial killer Kevin Costner, was pretty decent. Maybe I just think that Dane Cook should be beaten to death with a shovel in EVERY movie.

#36 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostPlanBFromOuterSpace, on 06 September 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

The movie "Mr. Brooks", where he's blackmailing serial killer Kevin Costner, was pretty decent. Maybe I just think that Dane Cook should be beaten to death with a shovel in EVERY movie.

That would have made Employee of the Month even better if at 15 minutes in, Dax had just beat Dane Cook to death and then it was a buddy detective movie with Jessica Simpson and Andy Dick.

#37 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 06 September 2013 - 07:18 AM, said:

That would have made Employee of the Month even better if at 15 minutes in, Dax had just beat Dane Cook to death and then it was a buddy detective movie with Jessica Simpson and Andy Dick.

Or "Good Luck Chuck". Yeah, poor guy gets laid all the time but the girls keep ending up with someone else, and then BAM, skull caved in. A raunchy sex comedy that all of a sudden becomes "Auto Focus" at the end.

How about "Planes"? Cook's plane self just gets beaten with shovels at the end. Fun for the whole family.

#38 jerrycanada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostLando, on 05 September 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Dana Carvey isn't that controversial is he?

Lando, no he's not a controversial actor but he's made equally bad movies as Adam Sandler has. I was thinking the same level of shit..

#39 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Postjarrycanada, on 06 September 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

Lando, no he's not a controversial actor but he's made equally bad movies as Adam Sandler has. I was thinking the same level of shit.

His body of work is much smaller, and he has the "Wayne's World" movies, so percentage-wise, I think he's way better off than Sandler.. What else was he in? I can think of "Master of Disguise", "Clean Slate", and "Opportunity Knocks". His post-SNL solo movie career never really took off.

#40 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

I think that part of the anti-Sandler sentiment is a personal dislike of him based on previous bad movie going experiences. I think his appearance causes people to automatically shave some points off of a movie before he opens his mouth regardless of how much they might have enjoyed the movie had they never heard of Sandler before. I think the same goes for Dane Cook, but I don't think too many people dislike Dana Carvey personally.
Brother