Episode 97.5 — Bonus Cut: Intern Wars

24 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 999 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

Seth Morris and Mike Still join Matt Besser for a special edition of improv4humans in which they have potential interns battle each other to see who has the best Man On The Street interviews. Plus, the original improv4humans intern, Eric the (Un)paid Intern returns via phone call from a dog park! Attention humans, please go to the Earwolf forums to let us know which scenes should be in our next Best of improv4humans episode! You can now get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/...visation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

#2 Basil Marlowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

I'm having flashbacks to the Earwolf Challenge and that's a good thing.
The interns were assigned tasks in their respective 'wheelhouses.'

Thanks for the great bonus episode. There is no such thing as too much I4H!

#3 Mattress Sale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

I know Eric the Unpaid Intern's unorthodox style might not work for this show all that well, but that bit with him running around the dog park asking a family if they've ever broken a bone was amazing. I vote for keeping him around, unpaid.

#4 MattCameron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

I want there to be an Eric The Unpaid Intern movie.

#5 Jackson1326657838

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Nice, the livesteam comes up as a bonus cut! This was such an amazing experience to watch on youtube, I wanted to comment so many things right away (shout out to the return of the Pope!). Keep the intern wars coming!!

#6 daveB from Oakland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hey, if you're reading this right now ... you've got a dikfour on your shoulder.
Chop off the "En", Chop off the "In"

Stop in!!

Glish Muff!!

#7 Road Strange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

This was probably the funniest VPN episode Matt and co. have ever done. Really funny considering the three man team. And Eric The Unpaid Intern delivered the luls.

#8 daveB from Oakland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostMattCameron, on 10 September 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

I want there to be an Eric The Unpaid Intern movie.

Why stop there? We should form a religion around him.

Eric's got that rare Karl Pilkington vibe of unintentional hilarity (having said that, I was never very comfortable with Gervais and Merchant's over-the-top meanness towards Karl. I like the Matt-Eric dynamic better).

I like the contrast between Eric's bumbling personality and the impressive technological jobs he gets. Facial recognition software? Consumer brain imaging? What the hell IS consumer brain imaging ... I think Matt and crew could make a good scene out of that ... maybe a scenario where a mild-mannered, clumsy kid turns out to be an evil genius who takes over the earth and all of it's Hue-monns.

Stop in!!

Glish Muff!!

#9 daveB from Oakland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Jonah the 17-year old potential intern is also funny. It tripped me out that he said people explained rainbow parties to him, but he just "kept forgetting" the details. It's as if he's such an innocent that his brain just shuts down when he hears that information.

Stop in!!

Glish Muff!!

#10 Kevin Irmiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostMattress Sale, on 10 September 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

I know Eric the Unpaid Intern's unorthodox style might not work for this show all that well, but that bit with him running around the dog park asking a family if they've ever broken a bone was amazing. I vote for keeping him around, unpaid.

What are you talking about? He was a PAID intern, and if anything the problem is that he world TOO well for the show and they don't know how to replace him. And he has already said he wants to do "man on the street" interviews for the show again.

Wait, is this a joke where you're intentionally getting everything wrong? If it is, and I didn't get it, sorry.

#11 Kevin Irmiter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostdaveB from Oakland, on 10 September 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

I like the contrast between Eric's bumbling personality and the impressive technological jobs he gets. Facial recognition software? Consumer brain imaging? What the hell IS consumer brain imaging ... I think Matt and crew could make a good scene out of that ... maybe a scenario where a mild-mannered, clumsy kid turns out to be an evil genius who takes over the earth and all of it's Hue-monns.

There are actually a lot of people like that--people who are extremely gifted in one area like science or economics or something, but absolutely terrible at everything related to ordinary everyday life.

#12 Brett Morris

Earwolf Engineer

• Administrators
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostKevin Irmiter, on 10 September 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

There are actually a lot of people like that--people who are extremely gifted in one area like science or economics or something, but absolutely terrible at everything related to ordinary everyday life.

autism...you can say it
i'm lead audio engineer at earwolf.

please check out my band scattered suns.

find me on twitter @brettsbrain.

#13 Sean G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Matt, have you tried to get your book at Powell's Books? I bet you could get it on sale there, and they also do online sales.

Great episode. I like the 17 year-old guy best, the girls-by-the-pool guy second best. Glad to hear they are going to do another assignment and keep it up. Looking forward to the competition going on.

#14 Docwhiskey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

In St. Louis try Left Bank Books http://www.left-bank.com/.

#15 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Awesome episode. I didn't watch the live show and it took a while for me to catch on that this was it. I thought all the (non-Eric) interviews were good.

#16 Matt Besser

improv4humans Host

• Host
  • 118 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

I don't think Powell's books is responding to us. Do you have some connection?

#17 Sean G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

Sorry Matt, I don't know anyone, I just live down the street. I'll fill out an item request. Or track the manager down on the street and do an intern-style interview with him.

#18 saddlebags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

Non-Eric interviews were all pretty good, then Eric came back and stole the show. When you could hear the dogs start barking at him I lost it.

#19 jerseypin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

I still don't know what a Rainbow Party is.

#20 Shannon

• Administrators
  • 880 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

video of the livestream is here