🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 98.5 — Bonus Cut: Best of What’s Bothering You? Special

We’ve gathered some of our favorite What’s Bothering You? segments for this week’s special bonus episode of improv4humans which features an all-star roster of improvisers which includes Eugene Cordero, Pamela Murphy, Billy Merritt, Andy Daly, Stephanie Allynne, Chris Kula, Sean Clements, Neil Campbell, Dominic Dierkes, Amy Poehler, Seth Morris, Joe Hartzler, Lennon Parham, Danielle Schneider, Horatio Sanz, and Brian Huskey. We’ll look back at some of the topics that have been discussed such as the use of Twitter during the Boston marathon tragedy, Oscar Pistorius shooting his girlfriend, and the epidemic of ceiling fan suicides. Attention humans, go out and interview your fellow citizens and find out what is bothering them, then send it to the show so it can be played on an upcoming episode of improv4humans! You can now get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/books/the-upright-citizens-brigade-comedy-improvisation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Ah! The thing about the Google Car is here! That bugged me before; I guess you could say it was something that was bothering ME. I can't believe so many of you guys are untrusting of that thing. Cameras & identification software (that's been iterated on over the past 20+ years) make sure it has a 360 degree view of everything around it at all times, AND it communicates with GPS satellites to stay on roads and work it's way through traffic. It won't hit a thing, it'll avoid congestion, and it won't get in a crash - it sure as shit won't text and drive either. It's FAR more capable than pretty much every human driver. Though, like with any driver, it might not be able to do much to save you from some twit who IS texting & driving should they crash into you.

Seriously, it's not like they whipped together the software & engineering that powers this thing in the past 5 years or so, guys. People have been working on this for YEARS. Carnegie Mellon had self-driving cars in the early 90's/late 80's for example... although they took so long to identify things, and didn't have the benefit of GPS, so they moved at, like, less than a mile an hour :)The "Urban Challenge" has been pushing robotics and artificial intelligence for over 20 years. Being a big nerd, I remember seeing TV specials about this kind of thing as a kid - a show on PBS in the early 90's, hosted by Alan Alda that showed off some of these prototypical self-driving cars. They are super, super capable now.

We should have FAR MORE robot cars on the road than we currently do, which is basically just Google.

OH! But great episode anyway! And Thanks Matt for doing this, as it includes some of the stuff I (and others, I'm sure) wanted to see on the Best Of Vol.3 episode. Give them another shot in the spotlight! Thanks I4H!

Ah! The thing about the Google Car is here! That bugged me before; I guess you could say it was something that was bothering ME. I can't believe so many of you guys are untrusting of that thing. Cameras & identification software (that's been iterated on over the past 20+ years) make sure it has a 360 degree view of everything around it at all times, AND it communicates with GPS satellites to stay on roads and work it's way through traffic. It won't hit a thing, it'll avoid congestion, and it won't get in a crash - it sure as shit won't text and drive either. It's FAR more capable than pretty much every human driver. Though, like with any driver, it might not be able to do much to save you from some twit who IS texting & driving should they crash into you.

Seriously, it's not like they whipped together the software & engineering that powers this thing in the past 5 years or so, guys. People have been working on this for YEARS. Carnegie Mellon had self-driving cars in the early 90's/late 80's for example... although they took so long to identify things, and didn't have the benefit of GPS, so they moved at, like, less than a mile an hour :)The "Urban Challenge" has been pushing robotics and artificial intelligence for over 20 years. Being a big nerd, I remember seeing TV specials about this kind of thing as a kid - a show on PBS in the early 90's, hosted by Alan Alda that showed off some of these prototypical self-driving cars. They are super, super capable now.

We should have FAR MORE robot cars on the road than we currently do, which is basically just Google.

OH! But great episode anyway! And Thanks Matt for doing this, as it includes some of the stuff I (and others, I'm sure) wanted to see on the Best Of Vol.3 episode. Give them another shot in the spotlight! Thanks I4H!

I don't trust digital gas gauges, car GPS, cell phones, etc. I'm sure as hell not giving up driving to be taken on a theme park ride by a computerized car. I'd rather white knuckle and hydroplane all day than renounce my earned right to drive.

I trust digital gas gauges, car GPS, cell phones, etc. I'm sure as hell not giving up driving to be taken on a theme park ride by a computerized car. I'd rather white knuckle and hydroplane all day than renounce my earned right to drive.

To me this is just being a luddite. Self driving cars are going to save millions of lives and make cities so much better in so many ways. Driving ourselves will someday be viewed as an archaic, absurdly dangerous practice we did, like the era of cars without seatbelts and permitted drunk driving. Almost everything that goes into being a good driver is something that can be automated thousands of times better than us. After living in LA for a while, I can't wait to never drive again.

• Like 1

I think it's a stellar idea to solicit "Fan on The Street" interviews. Color me excited.

I also liked putting out a Best Of for a specific segment. I'm sure it helps whittle down the overwhelming choices for the regular Best Of. I would love to see more of these. Best Of Interviews, Crap on YouTube, Tebow etc. Or even themed shows like religious scenes or drugs scenes (though I understand it may be "too much" to listen to an entire show of one topic.), and more music inspired shows.

Basically, whatever gets me and the other fans more episodes of this show.

To me this is just being a luddite. Self driving cars are going to save millions of lives and make cities so much better in so many ways. Driving ourselves will someday be viewed as an archaic, absurdly dangerous practice we did, like the era of cars without seatbelts and permitted drunk driving. Almost everything that goes into being a good driver is something that can be automated thousands of times better than us. After living in LA for a while, I can't wait to never drive again.

I wouldn't describe myself as a luddite, although I definitely sound like it in that post. I'm a person who will always go by the maxim, "Is it really necessary?" So I adopt most technology late in the game because it saves money, glitches are worked out, and so many people use said item that it becomes a necessity.

With the automated car in particular there is a fear of being out of control. Most people on the road are garbage, there's no doubt about that. They talk on phones, text, drink, drive while high on any number of drugs, are distracted by music, kids, passengers, or they're just morons... But I'd rather be responsible for my own actions, good or bad. Plus I enjoy driving.

There are ways that it could be implemented that I'd be very interested in, especially for major metropolitan areas like you mentioned. It could alleviate traffic and poor drivers from the road, which is always going to be a positive change. I would just need much more information than is currently out there and I'd have to see it in action for years before feeling comfortable enough to invest, and I must retain the option of physically driving if I so choose. I don't want any part in a HAL 9000 situation.

I wouldn't describe myself as a luddite, although I definitely sound like it in that post. I'm a person who will always go by the maxim, "Is it really necessary?" So I adopt most technology late in the game because it saves money, glitches are worked out, and so many people use said item that it becomes a necessity.

With the automated car in particular there is a fear of being out of control. Most people on the road are garbage, there's no doubt about that. They talk on phones, text, drink, drive while high on any number of drugs, are distracted by music, kids, passengers, or they're just morons... But I'd rather be responsible for my own actions, good or bad. Plus I enjoy driving.

There are ways that it could be implemented that I'd be very interested in, especially for major metropolitan areas like you mentioned. It could alleviate traffic and poor drivers from the road, which is always going to be a positive change. I would just need much more information than is currently out there and I'd have to see it in action for years before feeling comfortable enough to invest, and I must retain the option of physically driving if I so choose. I don't want any part in a HAL 9000 situation.

Same here. Plus there will be plenty of cars for years that won't have the capabilty in them that will have to be grandfathered in.

Sign in to follow this