🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 122 — Religious Science

Tig is back in the hatch but this time she’s solo. After giving us a quick update on what’s going on with her life, Tig is joined by actress, improviser, and internet person Stephanie Allynne to discuss Religious Science. They’ll talk about Stephanie’s childhood cooperative learning game “Harvest Time,” being positive by not dwelling on the future, and that old woman who lived in a shoe. Plus, they’ll explore Stephanie’s connection to Angelina Wells.

• Like 1

That "Tig Alone With Guest" pic is probably the best thing ever, also the intro is already amazing. Tig Notaro is the best Premium Blend Alumni in the history of podcasting!

• Like 2

Fun fact: the colloquialism "babymoon" relates to the 19th century misapprehension that children's physiology is ideally suited for traveling to and living in outer space via canon.

So, a "babymoon" is when you take a sabbatical from work to spend your afternoons building adorably tiny rockets in order to send an infant to the moon. You have to stop him. Not because it's dangerous- but because a baby on the moon would ruin everything.

• Like 4

The image on the homepage is forgetting one thing... Hope you don't mind, I took the liberty to update it.

hIduS91.jpg

• Like 4

The 70 minutes before the picture (which was the first thing on the Earwolf main page this morning) was explained were torture.

Great episode which, no offense to the guys, didn't suffer at all from Tiggleby flying solo. Looking forward to Kyle and David's episodes, too.

Also, STARD CAMEO!

• Like 1

I was sceptical at first because of the lack of fellas, but this episode was fantastic. The sexy old woman in the shoe riffing had me cackling.

I would have never thought of "solo" host episodes! And as much as I love David, Kyle and Aaron, this was terrific! It just made me love Tig even more than I already do. She has such humor, compassion and humanity in her sweet voice. What a wonderful mother (or father) she will be! I am looking forward to hearing the fellas on their own.

I can't say I have a really strong grasp of "religious science" based on this podcast, but Stephanie was a great guest who was funny and had great chemistry with Tig.

• Like 2

Tig - Re: Old Woman in a Shoe -

There are a couple of theories regarding the true meaning. I tend to believe that it alluded to King George II and his contemporaneous political issues. He had eight children. Another theory is that there's a connection between shoes and giving birth. Not sure of the origin. I believe it continues today when shoes are affixed to the cars of newlywed breeders couples.

Instead of WikiLeaks, maybe we should go back to composing nursery rhymes with hidden meanings, i.e. "there was an old bear, with slicked back hair, who created some friction, with his topless fishin'."

FYI - ditto on education. I left high school when I was 15 years old. Never returned, never took an "SAT", etc., and ended up going to grad school at Brown. When I did go to college, I was better prepared than the vast majority of my classmates.

• Like 1

That was a good conversation, and I like Stephanie Allynne in everything she does (especially "Take a Knee"). I'm not picking on her when I say the following; it has actually come up on the show before. People use the idea of coincidence (or the impossibility of it) to justify beliefs all the time, and it's really poor critical thinking. In Stephanie's story, she awoke from a dream having thought of a name (Angelina Wells) only to discover on the computerwebs that she shares a birthday with someone named that and it sounds quite fantastic. Except it's not. Probability dictates that with only 30 people in a room you have a 78% chance of their being matching birthdays. 60 people means 99% probability of two people sharing birthdays. Like anything probabilistic, there is always a chance of some things happening.

The truly unlikely event is that if you are imagining that maybe you have a past life, considering that most human beings have been Chinese or African, why didn't you think of "Xiahou Sung" as your name or maybe "Elkanah Odembo?" Could it be that your brain, an exceptional machine that constantly monitors your environment notes things that you consciously forget? The answer is yes. Your brain does that all the time.

When someone says something *just can't* be a coincidence, they often haven't crunched the numbers. Like Tig says, when someone asks you "Can you believe it!?" the answer is usually, "Yeah. I can wrap my head around that."

• Like 1

Really great, wonderful chemistry on this episode. Might be my new favorite. As funny as 'Name that..... Punky' is (or was at first), and as cool as the live shows are, I much prefer the 'Just sit around the studio talking to someone about a topic' format.

I am 56 minutes into this podcast and am CONVINCED that Stephanie is Tig's mammal friend and they are just being coy with all the relationship questions. And if not, they should be. (no offense actual mammal friend)

• Like 1

I am 56 minutes into this podcast and am CONVINCED that Stephanie is Tig's mammal friend and they are just being coy with all the relationship questions. And if not, they should be. (no offense actual mammal friend)

She is definitely the mammal in question. She was at the Bentzen Ball with Tig, and appeared as Tig's conspicuously nameless movie-loving girlfriend on the corresponding episode of Doug Loves Movies. It's great to hear Tiggleby's unique brand of giddy-in-love.

Good call, drosheim. Based on another backstage photo that Stephanie was in and some of the stuff Tig said on You Made it Weird, I had a feeling this might be the case, but nothing seemed too definitive, and it was indeed weird that they never mentioned her name on DLM despite her apparently coming up on stage.

Sign in to follow this