🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 71.5 — Minisode 71.5

Also, I really hope we get some discussion on those uniforms. Because I feel like those are worth a podcast all by themselves.

llcooljames_zps96a17c08.gif

I can hear the insane music in my head just watching this GIF.

HOO-HA. HOO. HA. HOO-HA. HOO. HA.

How does Zevo Toys stay in business? Their merchandise seems incredibly ridiculous and outdated. Put any Zevo Toys product in an actual toy store and you wouldn't sell a single unit. I think kids would have more fun playing with the stereotypical wooden garbage you often see being crafted by elves in Santa's Workshop.

Kids would be unimpressed but pretentious parents would snap them up for 3x the price of GI Joes as "classic" or "vintage" style toys. The same people who are spending millions on 18 dollar rubber giraffes would buy these and display them in their kids' professionally decorated rooms.

Plus, you have to admit that fake vomit was top-grade circa 1992. Wonder if that teriyaki version ever came out...

• Like 1

Toys is more "of its time" (early 90s) than any movie I've ever seen. It should be viewed as a double feature with Scenes from a Mall.

Toys is more "of its time" (early 90s) than any movie I've ever seen. It should be viewed as a double feature with Scenes from a Mall.

You think so? I would disagree. It's got a particular style and vision but it's more art deco, childhood imagery, French paintings, militarism, etc. When I think of early 1990s film, I think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator 2, Addams Family, Wayne's World -- all of which, to me, are much more quintessentially products of their time.

• Like 2

Yeah, IMO there's no other time in history this movie would have been, in the manner in which it was made, than the early 1990s.

Also, I should add, I hate this movie so, so much.

I remember you disliking at least one other HDTGM movie (Fast 6, perhaps) which other people generally liked. So now I'm curious what your taste is like. What are some of your favorite movies or directors? Not trying to argue or anything, I'm genuinely interested.

I remember you disliking at least one other HDTGM movie (Fast 6, perhaps) which other people generally liked. So now I'm curious what your taste is like. What are some of your favorite movies or directors? Not trying to argue or anything, I'm genuinely interested.

No, no. I LOVED Fast 6. I am a big, big fan of the whole series.

Perhaps the one you are thinking of is Gymkata? I didn't get any of the joy out of it that everyone else found.

Favorite directors? Woody Allen, David Wain, Truffaut and Michael Winterbottom would be at the top of my list. That said, I love a good (or bad) Stallone-directed mindless action movie too.

Favorite movies? 24 Hour Party People, Crimes and Misdemeanors, First Blood, Godfather Part II and The Deal are probably my top five currently.

You think so? I would disagree. It's got a particular style and vision but it's more art deco, childhood imagery, French paintings, militarism, etc. When I think of early 1990s film, I think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator 2, Addams Family, Wayne's World -- all of which, to me, are much more quintessentially products of their time.

Generally agree, though I think the only thing that would date the Addams Family as a 90s product is the MC Hammer song. Other than that, there's nothing especially 90s about it.

I remember saying the same thing about Demolition Man, but I got a bit of a Tim Burton Batman vibe from it. I think they all share sort of similar aesthetics which seem pretty dated now; one big part of this (maybe not the Batman movies so much as the other two) is the score, which features a lot of residual '80s synths with reverb and minor keys, which has a very specific feel to it.

the score, which features a lot of residual '80s synths with reverb and minor keys, which has a very specific feel to it.

When I hear this I think carpenter, but that's probably just me watching too many carpenter movies.

• Like 1

It's probably used in a ton of '80s and early '90s movies, which might make it a bad example for the point I was trying to make.

It also felt like Barry Levinson told Michael Gambon before shooting the first scene, "Hey Mikey, do me a favor, okay? I want you to act is if you were Alan Rickman on crack in 90% of the scenes in this movie. Can you do that for me Mikey?"

Sign in to follow this