Episode 146 — Keep It Clean

43 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,521 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

June Diane Raphael couldn’t get enough of the charts so she joins Ku-Ku & Wie-Wie once again for a clean and tidy episode of WHO CHARTED! We learn a little bit about June’s father, what June’s pop song would be titled, and the Creative Arts Emmys as they count down Billboard’s HOT 100 Chart. Then, the Movie Chart leads to discussion about the journey of June’s upcoming film Ass Backwards, the power of Twitter, and Vin Diesel. Also, June describes how she dealt with her childhood growing pains during a round of Chart Darts!

#2 Ben M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:03 AM

The day Howard taught me an actual vocabulary word.

#3 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Freestyle that shit, Howard!

#4 Road Strange

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

"What were the reindeer's names?"

"Well, there's Splants--Splash--uhhhhhh"

Howard has been awesome this whole episode, and I pretty much lost it at this point. Fucking hilarious.

#5 bigicecream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

I'm obsessed with how slow and deliberate June Diane speaks. Quite the elocution.

#6 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

There was a guy I used to work with that needed to have a morning coffee before he could get anything done. A morning coffee and a cigarette. After that, he would sit at his desk for several hours and then go to lunch. I still don't understand how could physically have done that; after drinking coffee or smoking cigarettes, I get the bubbleguts. He did them both at the same time! It's like he was impervious to bubbleguts.

http://www.funnyordi...nd-casey-wilson

#7 seanotron

The Gifmaster General

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

That Avicii song is like a serious version of Cotton Eye Joe.

#8 MLoPDX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

Another fantastic episode - JDR is a treat and I can't wait for Ass Backwards.

I enjoyed the discussion of the brilliant series that June was a big part of - Burning Love - and when they specifically named off the male actors who were a part of the series. What's funny about that, however, is that they failed to mention former Who Charted host Armen Weitzman, who had a part in the 3rd season and even had a forced relationship with June's character in an episode.

Armen Weitzman - never forget.

#9 seanotron

The Gifmaster General

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Deciduous 2: The Leaves Are Falling

#10 cat & beard

our fluoride is gluten free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postbigicecream, on 18 September 2013 - 06:25 AM, said:

I'm obsessed with how slow and deliberate June Diane speaks. Quite the elocution.

She's amazing on How Did This Get Made; quite the counterpart to the manic energy that is Jason Mantzoukas.

Posted Image
via EarBear

View PostShariq Torres, on 18 September 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

There was a guy I used to work with that needed to have a morning coffee before he could get anything done. A morning coffee and a cigarette.

I'm on the caffeine train but I'll never get smokers. The dudes outside my office spend at least 30 minutes on the clock enjoying their morning cigarette. 'Sgusting. I only get bubbleguts if I don't eat breakfast.

Hah, Kremer and his Polynesian Love. "Have you buried a pig in the sand?"

#11 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Can someone explain to me what is the 'edm' aspect of that Avecii song? Is that not a real guitar I hear, but instead a crisp, guitar sample looped in Reason?

#12 Bruce Reid Robinson II

No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 18 September 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

Can someone explain to me what is the 'edm' aspect of that Avecii song? Is that not a real guitar I hear, but instead a crisp, guitar sample looped in Reason?

I think it has to do with the kick being on beat one. As long as there is the untz untz untz you can loop anything over it and it is still EDM. I could be wrong, the only EDM I hear is on this show and in public places where it is forced into my ears.

#13 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 18 September 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

I think it has to do with the kick being on beat one. As long as there is the untz untz untz you can loop anything over it and it is still EDM. I could be wrong, the only EDM I hear is on this show and in public places where it is forced into my ears.

The kick? WOW! That is garbage.

I don't listen to that stuff either. It sounds like people taking the stocks sounds out of a DAW and going to crazytown.
"I have an empty block right here...maybe I should fill that space with a bleepity bloop"

#14 cat & beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 18 September 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

As long as there is the untz untz untz

Or as we've always called it: boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and...

#15 Bruce Reid Robinson II

No good, two-bit, hippy womanizer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationAny farm in Oregon

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 18 September 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

The kick? WOW! That is garbage.

I don't listen to that stuff either. It sounds like people taking the stocks sounds out of a DAW and going to crazytown.
"I have an empty block right here...maybe I should fill that space with a bleepity bloop"

You aren't too far off. I know a couple of guys who do "DJ sets" **shudders** and they can make several of these songs in a day. It doesn't require any real talent, just practice and enough disposable income to buy the software and sound packages.
Of course it also depends on the person. You can use electronic elements in a creative way to make cool sounds or layer tracks with real instruments and all that i.e. Have Anotha Summah, OR you can make terrible disco-tech music and just sporadically insert "drops" of super low-end oscillating bass noise. It seems like there is very little middle ground nowadays with guys like Bassnectar(ass-nectar as I call him) or Skrillex.

I guess I'm just an old fogey because the thought of grinding my junk against some lady I've never met in a dark, crowded room while drinking heavily and doing molly or moon rocks or whatever is repulsive to me.

View Postcat & beard, on 18 September 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

Or as we've always called it: boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and...

Bootz and pantz indeed!
Posted Image

#16 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

It all sounds like a lamer, uninteresting version of the techno wave that came to the States around the mid-to-late 90s (Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, etc). And that's not to say that stuff was all that great either, but there was something more going on than just random noises and fades, which is what my ears hear now.

#17 greggy

rillist thing runnin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Location@TheGreggiest

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

someone at earwoof tell howard that the JT verses on holy grail arent love songs, he is singing about fans and papparrazzi just like mr z is rapping about
it is a song about the love/hate celebrities have for being famous

hope this helps
podcastsarewonderful.com: this week me and gordon ramsay talk about injuries, reality tv, and Reality Show Show episode 6 featuring Hayes Davenport, Sean Clements, and Dave Holmes

#18 cat & beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 18 September 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

You aren't too far off. I know a couple of guys who do "DJ sets" **shudders** and they can make several of these songs in a day. It doesn't require any real talent, just practice and enough disposable income to buy the software and sound packages.
Of course it also depends on the person. You can use electronic elements in a creative way to make cool sounds or layer tracks with real instruments and all that i.e. Have Anotha Summah, OR you can make terrible disco-tech music and just sporadically insert "drops" of super low-end oscillating bass noise. It seems like there is very little middle ground nowadays with guys like Bassnectar(ass-nectar as I call him) or Skrillex.

Humblebrag time! I was at Decibel fest one year, and the night I played I was literally the only performer who wasn't using a laptop. I have a rack of analog gear with a drum machine and a Boss SP-303 velcroed to the top, all being driven by a Roland MC-50 (which uses 3.5" floppy disks!), and I play a Juno 60 and an MS2000. People were looking at me like I was a fucking necromancer or something. Looking out at the audience, it was all glowing Apple logos.

I know how to use Reason, Logic, etc, but I need physical knobs and keys; it just ain't the same. But yeah, like you said, with some basic knowledge you can just churn out a bunch of generic dance music very easily. And then during mastering they just compress it to hell and it sounds like shit.

#19 cat & beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostShariq Torres, on 18 September 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

It all sounds like a lamer, uninteresting version of the techno wave that came to the States around the mid-to-late 90s (Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, etc). And that's not to say that stuff was all that great either, but there was something more going on than just random noises and fades, which is what my ears hear now.

Yeah, that's what bums me out. We went from chill summer jams (say, around 2006-ish) to all mainstream R&B/pop sounding like rave shit from 15 years ago. I can't listen to the "urban" station here anymore cuz it sucks.

#20 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

Also, I never noticed how big The Grove plays a part in Los Angeles culture. They make it seem like everyone is there. When I went there, I didn't see anyone famous or anything interesting going on. I always thought that place to be was that little theater in Westwood. There was a full blown movie premiere going on when I was getting my coffee at the nearby Coffee Bean.