🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 146 — Keep It Clean

June Diane Raphael couldn’t get enough of the charts so she joins Ku-Ku & Wie-Wie once again for a clean and tidy episode of WHO CHARTED! We learn a little bit about June’s father, what June’s pop song would be titled, and the Creative Arts Emmys as they count down Billboard’s HOT 100 Chart. Then, the Movie Chart leads to discussion about the journey of June’s upcoming film Ass Backwards, the power of Twitter, and Vin Diesel. Also, June describes how she dealt with her childhood growing pains during a round of Chart Darts!

"What were the reindeer's names?"

"Well, there's Splants--Splash--uhhhhhh"

Howard has been awesome this whole episode, and I pretty much lost it at this point. Fucking hilarious.

• Like 2

There was a guy I used to work with that needed to have a morning coffee before he could get anything done. A morning coffee and a cigarette. After that, he would sit at his desk for several hours and then go to lunch. I still don't understand how could physically have done that; after drinking coffee or smoking cigarettes, I get the bubbleguts. He did them both at the same time! It's like he was impervious to bubbleguts.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2517/caffeine-a-love-story-from-june-raphael-and-casey-wilson

Another fantastic episode - JDR is a treat and I can't wait for Ass Backwards.

I enjoyed the discussion of the brilliant series that June was a big part of - Burning Love - and when they specifically named off the male actors who were a part of the series. What's funny about that, however, is that they failed to mention former Who Charted host Armen Weitzman, who had a part in the 3rd season and even had a forced relationship with June's character in an episode.

Armen Weitzman - never forget.

• Like 2

I'm obsessed with how slow and deliberate June Diane speaks. Quite the elocution.

She's amazing on How Did This Get Made; quite the counterpart to the manic energy that is Jason Mantzoukas.

hno.gif

via EarBear

There was a guy I used to work with that needed to have a morning coffee before he could get anything done. A morning coffee and a cigarette.

I'm on the caffeine train but I'll never get smokers. The dudes outside my office spend at least 30 minutes on the clock enjoying their morning cigarette. 'Sgusting. I only get bubbleguts if I don't eat breakfast.

Hah, Kremer and his Polynesian Love. "Have you buried a pig in the sand?"

Can someone explain to me what is the 'edm' aspect of that Avecii song? Is that not a real guitar I hear, but instead a crisp, guitar sample looped in Reason?

Can someone explain to me what is the 'edm' aspect of that Avecii song? Is that not a real guitar I hear, but instead a crisp, guitar sample looped in Reason?

I think it has to do with the kick being on beat one. As long as there is the untz untz untz you can loop anything over it and it is still EDM. I could be wrong, the only EDM I hear is on this show and in public places where it is forced into my ears.

• Like 2

I think it has to do with the kick being on beat one. As long as there is the untz untz untz you can loop anything over it and it is still EDM. I could be wrong, the only EDM I hear is on this show and in public places where it is forced into my ears.

The kick? WOW! That is garbage.

I don't listen to that stuff either. It sounds like people taking the stocks sounds out of a DAW and going to crazytown.

"I have an empty block right here...maybe I should fill that space with a bleepity bloop"

• Like 1

As long as there is the untz untz untz

Or as we've always called it: boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and...

• Like 3

The kick? WOW! That is garbage.

I don't listen to that stuff either. It sounds like people taking the stocks sounds out of a DAW and going to crazytown.

"I have an empty block right here...maybe I should fill that space with a bleepity bloop"

You aren't too far off. I know a couple of guys who do "DJ sets" **shudders** and they can make several of these songs in a day. It doesn't require any real talent, just practice and enough disposable income to buy the software and sound packages.

Of course it also depends on the person. You can use electronic elements in a creative way to make cool sounds or layer tracks with real instruments and all that i.e. Have Anotha Summah, OR you can make terrible disco-tech music and just sporadically insert "drops" of super low-end oscillating bass noise. It seems like there is very little middle ground nowadays with guys like Bassnectar(ass-nectar as I call him) or Skrillex.

I guess I'm just an old fogey because the thought of grinding my junk against some lady I've never met in a dark, crowded room while drinking heavily and doing molly or moon rocks or whatever is repulsive to me.

Or as we've always called it: boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and...

Bootz and pantz indeed!

Untz+Girl.jpg

• Like 3

It all sounds like a lamer, uninteresting version of the techno wave that came to the States around the mid-to-late 90s (Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, etc). And that's not to say that stuff was all that great either, but there was something more going on than just random noises and fades, which is what my ears hear now.

someone at earwoof tell howard that the JT verses on holy grail arent love songs, he is singing about fans and papparrazzi just like mr z is rapping about

it is a song about the love/hate celebrities have for being famous

hope this helps

• Like 1

You aren't too far off. I know a couple of guys who do "DJ sets" **shudders** and they can make several of these songs in a day. It doesn't require any real talent, just practice and enough disposable income to buy the software and sound packages.

Of course it also depends on the person. You can use electronic elements in a creative way to make cool sounds or layer tracks with real instruments and all that i.e. Have Anotha Summah, OR you can make terrible disco-tech music and just sporadically insert "drops" of super low-end oscillating bass noise. It seems like there is very little middle ground nowadays with guys like Bassnectar(ass-nectar as I call him) or Skrillex.

Humblebrag time! I was at Decibel fest one year, and the night I played I was literally the only performer who wasn't using a laptop. I have a rack of analog gear with a drum machine and a Boss SP-303 velcroed to the top, all being driven by a Roland MC-50 (which uses 3.5" floppy disks!), and I play a Juno 60 and an MS2000. People were looking at me like I was a fucking necromancer or something. Looking out at the audience, it was all glowing Apple logos.

I know how to use Reason, Logic, etc, but I need physical knobs and keys; it just ain't the same. But yeah, like you said, with some basic knowledge you can just churn out a bunch of generic dance music very easily. And then during mastering they just compress it to hell and it sounds like shit.

It all sounds like a lamer, uninteresting version of the techno wave that came to the States around the mid-to-late 90s (Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, The Chemical Brothers, etc). And that's not to say that stuff was all that great either, but there was something more going on than just random noises and fades, which is what my ears hear now.

Yeah, that's what bums me out. We went from chill summer jams (say, around 2006-ish) to all mainstream R&B/pop sounding like rave shit from 15 years ago. I can't listen to the "urban" station here anymore cuz it sucks.

Also, I never noticed how big The Grove plays a part in Los Angeles culture. They make it seem like everyone is there. When I went there, I didn't see anyone famous or anything interesting going on. I always thought that place to be was that little theater in Westwood. There was a full blown movie premiere going on when I was getting my coffee at the nearby Coffee Bean.

The thing you have to remember with EDM is that the term is so broad/generic that it's kind of meaningless (think alternative, indie, etc.). EDM could encompass anything from Skrillex to Giorgio Moroder to Sparks to Washed Out. Even when you get down to the more specific sub-genres it can be confusing. Skrillex is considered dubstep but so are Katy B and Burial, and those 3 really sound nothing alike.

It's really like any other genre that gets super popular; the stuff that's easiest to digest tends to rise to the top.

Confession time: I used to be a club DJ/promoter and we would sometimes book these flash-in-the-pan guys like Skrillex who had dropped some wacky track that was popular for a summah because you have to fill 52 Friday nights and sometimes you do what you have to. Then they'd get on to do an actual DJ set, and it was like Ableton Live vomited all over the dance floor. I remember one guy specifically had some success because he basically did a dubstep remix of a Smashing Pumpkins song, and his set was just 1 1/2 hours of garbled noise with occasional bass drops. Then about 6 months later I was at another club that had booked him, and it was literally the exact same set. I think he just pre-recorded everything and pretended to fiddle with knobs to keep up appearances.

Humblebrag time! I was at Decibel fest one year, and the night I played I was literally the only performer who wasn't using a laptop. I have a rack of analog gear with a drum machine and a Boss SP-303 velcroed to the top, all being driven by a Roland MC-50 (which uses 3.5" floppy disks!), and I play a Juno 60 and an MS2000. People were looking at me like I was a fucking necromancer or something. Looking out at the audience, it was all glowing Apple logos.

I know how to use Reason, Logic, etc, but I need physical knobs and keys; it just ain't the same. But yeah, like you said, with some basic knowledge you can just churn out a bunch of generic dance music very easily. And then during mastering they just compress it to hell and it sounds like shit.

I used to mess around with Reason and Fruity Loops back in the day, but I decided that I didn't want to put in the time to actually try to do that as a way to make money, so I gave up on it.

And love that you called yourself a necromancer. To those people, you might as well have come out on stage with a set of triangles and recorders. ;)

"Doesn't he know there is a Juno VST? Some people just don't know how to make music."

Yeah, that's what bums me out. We went from chill summer jams (say, around 2006-ish) to all mainstream R&B/pop sounding like rave shit from 15 years ago. I can't listen to the "urban" station here anymore cuz it sucks.

My theory is that all of the production moved to Miami after Hurricane Katrina wiped out Louisiana. So, since Mannie Fresh and his stable of producers were in South Florida, they started taking in that Euro techno sound. Once Mannie was down in Florida, a lot of other people came to network get their music commissioned and hook up with Rick Ross and DJ Khalid.

It's very weird because when the production was centered in Atlanta and New Orleans, there were elements borrowed from the marching bands -- the snare roll to setup a break comes to mind. And then when production was centered in New York, it was borrowing from jazz.

• Like 1

Confession time: I used to be a club DJ/promoter and we would sometimes book these flash-in-the-pan guys like Skrillex who had dropped some wacky track that was popular for a summah because you have to fill 52 Friday nights and sometimes you do what you have to. Then they'd get on to do an actual DJ set, and it was like Ableton Live vomited all over the dance floor. I remember one guy specifically had some success because he basically did a dubstep remix of a Smashing Pumpkins song, and his set was just 1 1/2 hours of garbled noise with occasional bass drops. Then about 6 months later I was at another club that had booked him, and it was literally the exact same set. I think he just pre-recorded everything and pretended to fiddle with knobs to keep up appearances.

Gawker had a list of how much EDM people made last year and the numbers are staggering. Millions of dollars to twiddle knobs, or in this case, pretend to twiddle knobs.