🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Arnold

Episode 165 — He's A Lesbian

NFL legend and all around awesome guy Terrell Owens makes his first visit to the calming shores on this week's extra special Sklarbro Country! After some quality takes, Terrell joins Randy & Jason to break down his career in the NFL, talk about what it's like to play in the Super Bowl and deal with a potentially career-threatening injury. After a discussion on the rise of concussions in football and the funniest players in the league, Terrell shares some personal stories and sticks around for some Quick Hits. Later on in the show, Jerry Jones joins in on the fun via a very secure phone line to talk all things TO and Lady GooGoo. Citizens of Los Angeles — Sklarbro Country will be a part of the LA Podcast Festival on October 5th! Go to http://lapodfest.com for tickets.

Outstanding interview, T.O.'s predictably suspect views on genetics notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Great show! TO is a big get.

I noticed that you were promoting Improv4Humans - GET MATT BESSER BACK ON THE SHOW! He would be amazing on County

• Like 1

Really interesting convo with T.O. Awesome get, and as you guys said, I hope it opens the floodgates for more athletes to come on the show and have some fun. MWP in the Country would be amazing.

I almost pissed myself at "Tony Dorsett Corset". And that chuckle from TO was great.

Wow! What a great episode on so many levels. Good job guys!

And you guys were hilarious as aslways at the Improv last Saturday. Keep it up!

I agree with what T.O. said, or rather, there is no way to agree or disagree because of established fact.

There are two very strong pieces of evidence which convincingly prove that homosexuality is not hard wired. The human genome project was completed over a decade ago and it found no single gene which is specifically associated with or defines sexual orientation. Secondly, and probably the more convincing piece of evidence, is the result of twin studies.

If two people are identical twins, they have the exact same genetic code (obviously). There exist twins who one of which is gay and the other is not. If there were any gene which predetermined homosexuality, both twins would have to be gay or straight.

That being said, Francis S. Collins, who conducted some of these twin studies and was head of the human genome project, does find that there seem to be genetic factors which may influence homosexuality, but there is no on off switch for being gay or straight. On the topic he said, "sexual orientation is genetically influenced but not hardwired by DNA, and that whatever genes are involved represent predispositions, not predeterminations."

As for my personal opinion, I do not think homosexuality is wrong or perverted in any way. I do not think it is a choice, nor do I think the root of homosexuality is even important. People have the right to live how they please, their sexual preferences are their own business, but I dislike when people claim false facts or deny science. It is hypocritical when those same people look to science to defend other perspectives they have.

The identical twins thing flies out the window when you consider epigenetics

MWP in the Country would be amazing.

YES.

The song at the end was amazing, doubly so since he was pronouncing "Terrell" in the way that had previously been established as incorrect. Obviously it couldn't have been planned, but it fits the Jerry character perfectly.

I loved the Sklarbro Country episode with TO. Great interview and wonderful handling of a guest with whom they did not completely agree on all subjects.

I write as a life-long fan of Houston baseball. First, the Astros deserve all of the comments Ran and Jay heaped on them. I love Ran and Jay for their humor and humanity. The Astros are a bad team with bad ownership who has let a recent World Series team degrade to a sub-minor league level. No contest.

But let me plead my case for showing Houston baseball some love.

I was born in Texas and was raised in a number of little oil towns in east Texas. Some of my earliest memories were of endless drives across the barren plains past refineries, ranches and farms. And somewhere, back in my memory, I can see a structure rising some distance from the freeway. My dad would point to it and say that they were building a “domed stadium”. I didn’t even know what that meant. But Dad seemed to think it was a big deal, so I took note. Over months and years, on the many trips our family took visiting friends or relatives, we would pass that spot and see this massive structure rise. Once the domed roof began to be installed, the special nature of this building became evident, even to a young boy like me.

A year or two later, we would watch the Colt .45s playing one of their last games in old Colt stadium and get a close-up view of the “domed stadium” as it was completed. My dad bought me a Colt .45s pennant and cap. I still have the cap.

It wasn’t called “the Astrodome” at first. It was “the domed stadium”. My dad saw the first exhibition game when Mickey Mantle hit the first ever home run there. And soon he brought his young family to watch the newly-renamed Houston Astros play in the “8th Wonder of the World”.

In the early to mid 1960s, it was an engineering marvel. It was a more innocent time when people could be un-ironically awed by such things. Not far from the “domed stadium”, Houston mission control was making history with NASA. The Astros were named after the new-fangled astronauts, the “star voyagers”, who were the heroes of the day, back when the media built heroes and did not gleefully tear them down.

The groundskeeping crew wore “space suits”, orange jumpsuits with space helmets, to drag the infield dirt. The scoreboard featured crude animation on a biggest-of-its-kind display that projected monochrome pictures of the players and exhortations and cheers for the crowd. Homeruns and wins by the home team were celebrated with a “fireworks display” of colored lights that featured a steam-snorting longhorn bull and a six-gun shooting cowboy dancing a jig. And the crowd loved it!

The Astrodome, as it came to be called, had deep fences and low-scoring games that were not much fun for very young kids to watch. But one such game that Dad brought us to featured something special. At the seventh inning stretch, a man in a flight suit walked out to the pitcher’s mound wearing a jet pack. He launched himself high into the air, nearly to the roof. He circled the playing field with a deafening roar and then landed back where he started. The whole thing lasted maybe fifteen seconds and lives in my 53-year-old memory still.

When I was ten, I joined the Astro Buddies fan club. My Astro Buddy was Jim Wynn, the Toy Cannon. He and Doug “Red Rooster” Rader were the first two players to hit balls up into the blue seats. A toy cannon and a red rooster were painted on the seats where those balls landed. The fan club gave its members free tickets to several games and discounted tickets to several more. My mother or the mother of my friends would drive us kids to the dome and drop us off and leave us there to enjoy the game. They would come back and pick us up afterward. It was safe to do that back then.

The Astros weren’t ever the best team. Often they were bad. They had some good players, even some great ones back then. Joe Morgan came to my elementary school one day. Larry Dierker won 20 games, pitched a no-hitter, became an announcer and eventually managed the team. Later Nolan Ryan, J.R. Richard, Mike Scott and other great players graced our rosters. But my guys were Wynn, Rader, Cedeno, Alou, Blasingame, Menke, Gladding, Edwards, and Watson. Not many hall-of-famers. And I didn’t find out that the Astroturf, once a modern marvel, was widely hated by players and caused injuries until many years later.

No, the Houston Astros haven’t won a World Series. They got swept in the one they made it to. They aren’t the Cardinals. They are not even the Mets. But they are the team my dad introduced me to. And if they get moved to another city and have their name changed, they will always live in my memory, just like my dad does.

So, I don’t mind the razzing and jokes. They are well-earned and deserved. But spare a thought for the generation of kids for whom the Colt .45s and then the Astros were the first big-time sports team we ever saw. It was a more innocent age and we were all a lot younger. I hope the youngsters of today have something special like that for their dads to share with them.

That song was spectacular. And by the way, so we're all clear, he's a homophobe. And of course, by he, I am talking about Gary Hogeboom.

Second time listening to this episode! Terrell 'Emmer-Effing' Owens!

A fantastic episode....that's all I can say about this one. It's flawless!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this