🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Brett Arnold

Episode 56 — SEX, DEATH & ROCK AND ROLL

Kim Fowley joins Jake for Sex, Death and Rock and Roll and bedding the bounds of decency and civilized behavior. Drugs, disease and haircuts have not changed in Hollywood since Hollywood began. Live from his hospital bed in West Hollywood, Kim, along with his friends The Fabulous Miss Wendy and Lady Satan, join Jake for a discussion about The Germs, The Runaways, Kiss and Rodney Bingenheimer. The Fogelnest Files is LIVE at the LA Podcast Festival on October 5th with Andy Richter, Matt Besser and more. lapodfest.com LIVE in New York City on October 10th at The Bell House with Julie Klausner, Dave Hill and special guests. Tickets at thebellhouseny.com.

I'm kind of fascinated by Kim Fowley, so I was thrilled to see that he was the guest. After seeing the Mayor of Sunset Strip and the Runaways doc without Joan Jett or Runaways music, I became convinced that Kim needs his own documentary. (The Runaways need a proper documentary as well, but that's another story).

I dug the show. Sure, Kim took over and did how own thing, but it might not have felt like a Kim Fowley interview if he didn't. I was glad to hear Rodney get pulled into the mix as well.

On an unrelated note, I was thrilled to hear about the UCB midnight screening, but was disappointed to deduce from the movie's description that it won't be the long promised Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band live commentary. I'm still planning to go though.

Jake,

Such a great episode of the Files! While I'm not that knowledgable of Kim Fowley's career, aside from the Runaways and a few 70s bands, I loved that you did a quick and very in depth biography of the man's life. I loved that you brought in Rodney to the mix with a couple of great stories. I now have new music to download and listen to!

Amazing work Jake!

I'm only about halfway in, but man, this is weird as hell, and totally fascinating. Jake, thank you for bringing in someone as strange and interesting as Kim Fowley. Excellent work, as always.

Holy god damn fuck, Jake. You are a champion. This episode is insane and incredible.

Tom Snyder show 1977. Weird meandering panel discussion where Tom tries to suss out what's up with the kids and their crazy new music. Kim Fowley, Robert Hillburn, and Bill Graham ... later joined by teen hooligans Joan Jett and Paul Weller. This is chopped up into several parts on YouTube, but Kim gets the spotlight in this one, starting around 0:58

• Like 2

I absolutely loved parts of this episode and contemplated bailing at other parts.

Yup! I expect to see this exact review in The AV Club except it will be worse and in THE REST.

• Like 2

I don't know how you did it jake but you brought gold to my ears in a way that made them uncomfortable and totally engaged.

fucking ace man.

"What was writing for KISS like?"

"Profitable."

BOOM! If Pete Holmes were here, he would call that "laser fucking accuracy." Fowley's moments of comic genius are all the more fascinating considering he spent half the podcast hazily blabbing about the functionality/disfunctionality of his genitalia. As far as my own... functionality goes, I may not be into ankles, but I do fancy myself some ghosts and space travelers, so this episode speaks to me.

• Like 1

This was a fascinating episode. You never know what you're going to get with a person that at least seems to be heavily medicated. I found a Zappa interview from when he was sick that was a little difficult to watch. But you know what? At least they're still trying and aren't hidden in a closet.

I'm very glad that you brought up Zappa. I never knew what he did exactly on Freak Out and the numerous Zappa books I've read said that he was just a hanger on Frank briefly found fascinating.

A very interesting episode, though it is odd how Jake lets Fowley off the hook with regards to all the Runaways rumours, saying that he seems too nice to have been like that, in spite of Fowley's extremely unboundaried sexual remarks to Miss Wendy and Lady Satan, all of which are brushed over by them and certainly not encouraged. And that's before Fowley's non-denial denials start!

A very interesting episode, though it is odd how Jake lets Fowley off the hook with regards to all the Runaways rumours, saying that he seems too nice to have been like that, in spite of Fowley's extremely unboundaried sexual remarks to Miss Wendy and Lady Satan, all of which are brushed over by them and certainly not encouraged. And that's before Fowley's non-denial denials start!

To not talk about it would've been irresponsible. To grill him further would've been a different kind of conversation than belongs on this show. If I ever get the chance to talk to Cherie, I would love to hear her story.

This was an amazing podcast, Jake.

I've never been a huge fan of LA punk or punk in general but the way you conducted this interview was top knotch.

The podcast just flowed. Though it doesn't seem Mr Fowley had any desire to listen to the clips interspersed in the podcast, they added a much appreciated reference to listeners who had no reference to The Murmaids or The Seeds. I will totally admit the song Kim improvised at the end made me cry.

This podcast makes me enjoy people I never thought I would.

Thanks, "Jay."

I interviewed Kim Fowley a few years ago. I sought him out, went to his West Hollywood apartment where he was dying of cancer, and showed up with a microphone. It was a very entertaining chat. Kim often liked to play up the role of the villain. The lecherous big bad wolf record producer. When I went to interview him, he did not disappoint. However, I was struck immediately by his sadness. I saw a man who knew he was dying and was absolutely not at peace.

Nor should he have been.

What you will read here, is not rock and roll lore like "The Mudshark Incident." It is the story of Jackie Fuchs, a teenage girl who Kim Fowley raped. She is very brave for coming forward.

http://highline.huff...the-lost-girls/

• Like 5

Thanks for checking in, Jake. I read about this earlier today and immediately thought about this episode.