🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 58 — Mystical Sex

Andy Richter, Matt Besser, and Matt Mira join Jake in their viewing positions on today’s LIVE episode from the LA Podfest! They’ll experience joy that only Huell Howser can create, be intrigued by the gentleman in a music video simply called “Mystical Sex,” and enjoy some public access vids courtesy of the mysterious Rev. Bruce Howard. Remember to check out all the videos over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles! If you’re listening to this the day it drops and live in New York City, then come to a LIVE taping of THE FOGELNEST FILES at The Bell House with special guests Dave Hill, Julie Klausner, and Katie Notopoulos. Tickets at thebellhouseny.com. Also, don’t miss out on an ILLEGAL SCREENING of a Punk Rock film with Jake & Julie Klausner on Friday, October 11th at UCB East. Go to east.ucbtheatre.com for more info.

Yay! I love the LIVE episodes of Fogelnest Files! And it's been awhile. The 1-on-1 conversations are great and informative, but these are just hilarious. I can't get enough of 'em, Jake :)

• Like 2

Good God, I love Huell Howser. Anyone so genuinely enthusiastic about dogs eating avocados is the EXACT right person to be hosting a travel show. I feel like his internal monologue is constantly "WOW AMAZING!" and it is adorable.

On the opposite end of the sincerity spectrum, I can't imagine what it was like for the actors or people on set of for that 'Days of Our Lives' Chex Mix thing. Like, "shit, we have to memorize and shoot pages and pages of dialogue every day concerning the most nonsensical shit, and now, FUCKING CHEX MIX?!?!"

• Like 4

I've been deeply intrigued by Bruce Howard since I first saw his cable access show in around 2001ish. Great to hear him on the show! A little update on him. Somebody recently contacted me through YouTube because of a couple videos of him that I uploaded. He claimed to be gathering as much video as he could in effort to make a documentary on The Reverend. I don't really know how serious this person was, and haven't really followed up on it, but It seems like there's an interesting story there and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he was for real.

• Like 2

This is incredible.

Avocado is actually really good for dogs; it's included in several higher end "natural" dry foods. I love the idea that Huell Howser's mind was completely blown forever by that concept.

Didn't know about that Besser album; buying it now, thanks!

• Like 2

I've been deeply intrigued by Bruce Howard since I first saw his cable access show in around 2001ish. Great to hear him on the show! A little update on him. Somebody recently contacted me through YouTube because of a couple videos of him that I uploaded. He claimed to be gathering as much video as he could in effort to make a documentary on The Reverend. I don't really know how serious this person was, and haven't really followed up on it, but It seems like there's an interesting story there and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he was for real.

Checked my youtube account for the first time in a while when I got home, and somebody else also seems to be working on a documentary featuring Bruce Howard. Looks like it's more about early Seattle public access in general. https://www.facebook.com/ChannelingYourself

Yay! I love the LIVE episodes of Fogelnest Files! And it's been awhile. The 1-on-1 conversations are great and informative, but these are just hilarious. I can't get enough of 'em, Jake :)

Yes, all of this. Fantastic episode.

Good God, I love Huell Howser. Anyone so genuinely enthusiastic about dogs eating avocados is the EXACT right person to be hosting a travel show. I feel like his internal monologue is constantly "WOW AMAZING!" and it is adorable.

So your name is St. Peter? And you're the guy that admits all the angels into Heaven? Well, that is AMAZING! It sure is nice to be here! Hey, when I was down there in California, on Earth, I met a dog ... he had a really nice coat. You know why he had such a nice coat? Well it was because he ate California AVOCADOS! Can you imagine? Do y'all have dogs up here in Heaven?

• Like 3

I had tickets for this podcast but I fell ill and had to lay in bed... :(

Man, Andy Richter brings it with the barrage of F-Bombs and overall craziness. A great panel of guests, Jake. Anything with Huell Howser is brilliant. Only wish you had Dan Gould on for this episode. His impression of Huell is freaking hilarious.

When Jake mentioned Seattle public access, I was hoping he'd talk about Goodspaceguy, another local lunatic who has run for public office at least a dozen times. (My working theory is that Klaus Nomi faked his death in 1983 and moved to Washington to seek low-level office.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vEZ1w0aEL0

When Jake mentioned Seattle public access, I was hoping he'd talk about Goodspaceguy, another local lunatic who has run for public office at least a dozen times. (My working theory is that Klaus Nomi faked his death in 1983 and moved to Washington to seek low-level office.)

Dan, did you grow up around the Seattle area? I watched a ton of public access there in the 1990s. That Richard Lee guy who was obsessed with Courtney Love and the "murder" of Kurt Cobain ran for mayor a few times, pulling weird stunts like recording his show while at a city hall/campaign event while standing on top of a table in a dress. Do you remember Goddess Kring? The weird lady who would dance and talk about how much she loved Tori Amos? I wish I had my old VHS tapes, there was so much good stuff.

Dan, did you grow up around the Seattle area?

Sadly, no. I moved here in 2001, only a few days before the Nisqually Earthquake killed us all.

Sadly, no. I moved here in 2001, only a few days before the Nisqually Earthquake killed us all.

You're kidding but I lived in Olympia, Washington at the time, and that was my first "major" earthquake -- pretty terrifying stuff, really, although I know Californians will scoff at that. It shut down the beloved Olympia Film Society for over a year. My boss (I was at work) had a heart attack during it. Crazy seeing sidewalks doing a sine wave.