🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 102 — Satan's Face

Ron Funches, Mookie Blaiklock, Ben Siemon, and Joel Spence share what in The National Enquirer frightens them the most on today’s improv4humans! Read your copy of the Juggalo Times some other time and instead pour yourself a nice glass of milk as you tune in to the greatest podcast in the universe! You can now get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/books/the-upright-citizens-brigade-comedy-improvisation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Just like the last Mookie episode with the ranting guy, I knew he'd jump at that Juggalo character.

• Like 3

Just like the last Mookie episode with the ranting guy, I knew he'd jump at that Juggalo character.

Such a great ear for cadence, he's amazing.

• Like 2

fuckinnnn Mookie fuckin Blaiklock man

he fuckin knows how to fuckinnnn do voices

• Like 4

Finally, the show tackles the issues important to me. And by that, I mean pro wrestling. Funches is the man.

• Like 2

Finally, the show tackles the issues important to me. And by that, I mean pro wrestling. Funches is the man.

Agreed!

Also, what is with Matt - specifically, his beef with milk (ha! cow pun! I didn't intend to do it, but now that I have, I am embracing it!)? That is really odd that he finds it childish to drink milk. Matt - you need to rethink some life choices, buddy :) Also, I was a little disappointed that Mookie didn't say that he acquired NERF guns, in that apocalypse sketch. Matt brought the Fart-in-a-Jar! They were ready to invade and takeover BabyTown! That sketch ended too soon!

Such a great ear for cadence, he's amazing.

That exactly what it was. Mookie had the voices down, but the way he did the atheist one and the juggalo perfectly mimicked the way they spoke

Also, what is with Matt - specifically, his beef with milk (ha! cow pun! I didn't intend to do it, but now that I have, I am embracing it!)? That is really odd that he finds it childish to drink milk. Matt - you need to rethink some life choices, buddy

I came here to see exactly this: if anyone else thought that milk was a puzzling thing over which to bully someone. Fucking milk. I mean, I get that Matt's a manly man meathead macho man's man -- he's made that clear many times over whenever he berates someone over, say, their disinterest in sports -- but that the fact that he finds the very concept of eating breakfast cereal to be so alien and apparently effeminate is just mind-boggling.

I haven't listened to every Earwolf podcast, Earwolf fan though I am, but I'd be surprised if any other host comes off as as judgmental and unpleasant as Matt does. Bullying his intern over buying milk (instead of what, beer, I guess?) doesn't help.

I came here to see exactly this: if anyone else thought that milk was a puzzling thing over which to bully someone. Fucking milk. I mean, I get that Matt's a manly man meathead macho man's man -- he's made that clear many times over whenever he berates someone over, say, their disinterest in sports -- but that the fact that he finds the very concept of eating breakfast cereal to be so alien and apparently effeminate is just mind-boggling.

I haven't listened to every Earwolf podcast, Earwolf fan though I am, but I'd be surprised if any other host comes off as as judgmental and unpleasant as Matt does. Bullying his intern over buying milk (instead of what, beer, I guess?) doesn't help.

tumblr_mkne6a58HG1rytgrro1_500.gif

There's a big difference between bullying and giving someone a hard time, especially when it's clearly in good fun. The only other time we have heard about it was last week and there was more context. It isn't that drinking milk is strange, Matt thinks it's odd that a grown man often goes to a convenience store specifically to buy a gallon jug of milk that he drinks from. We found out this episode that he(Thomas?) goes to this store enough that the staff recognizes him. If you listen to enough of the I4H episodes, the interns job is supply material for the show. If that material happens to come from the odd behavior they exhibit, so what? If the intern feels abused he can quit the part time (probably unpaid) job.

Also, Matt doesn't seem unpleasant to me. If he were as bad as you make him sound I doubt that guests would come back over and over again to get "berated" by him.

P.S. the gif is a joke, I'm not trying to troll you, I just don't see where you're coming from on this.

• Like 2

Agreed that the intern can quit if he doesn't like his working conditions. Of course that's an option. I'm not trying to stand up for the intern's rights or anything. That's totally irrelevant to what I'm talking about. The intern's personal situation doesn't make Matt's behavior any more or less unpleasant in my eyes. I'm still listening to a guy laugh at another guy for buying milk.

(Plus, I mean, the intern has a good reason for drinking whole milk. The guy's done his research. It's not that he loves milk so much -- it's that he's young and, uh, not wealthy, and needs cost-effective ways of eating a decent diet. Mocking your unpaid intern for, ultimately, not being as well-off as you are is something of a dick move, IMO.)

Re: return guests, they're not usually the target of the thing I'm talking about. First of all, most of them are Matt's friends, so of course I expect some shit-giving there. (See: Gemberling.) I'm talking about when it feels like Matt's punching down, when he's beating up on someone in a lesser position of power, like during every Case Closed segment when he shouts down an Earwolf listener or Twitter follower. In fact, he's already had an ethicist on the show who called him out as a bully for doing exactly that, so I don't think this is an especially bizarre take on it.

Not trying to convince anyone of my opinion here, BTW -- just wanted to see if anyone else shared it. If not, no sweat!

I don't think Matt realizes when he comes across that way. As evidence I suggest the whole "bullying" question in regard to Case Closed. He's been conscious of his bullying but has struggled to understand why people consider it bullying. So I imagine he knows that he is teasing the intern and doesn't realize (or acknowledge) that it sounds malicious to some.

I would expect that when choosing his intern Matt would be smart enough to find one with thick skin, or at least advise them to not take any ribbing seriously. As in, Eric the Paid Intern, who was mocked constantly by Matt... I mean, it's the guy's job.

So here's Matt who doesn't have a very good "meter" for knowing when he's going over the line, on his podcast, talking to his employee who has been told to expect to be teased. Maybe it's just me, but for me It's easy to see why some would see him as being a bully without Matt seeing it the same way. But maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

Oh also I do find it ridiculous to mock someone for drinking milk. I believe he's done it once before, so it's one of his things. That's like teasing someone because they eat lettuce or soup. That doesn't make it any less funny tho. Milk is to Besser as beastiality is to Gemberling. They all have their cross to bear.

Ohhhhh boy... Some light mockery at the milk drinking quirk is bullying now?

Were you also offended by the Jonestown reference?

• Like 4

Ohhhhh boy... Some light mockery at the milk drinking quirk is bullying now?

Were you also offended by the Jonestown reference?

Nah, Matt was straight up being a dick. A weird, weird dick.

I find Matt's bullying to be hilarious. It's part of his charm. His lack of caring is why he's the best. He doesn't care if he hurts someone's feelings in the name of comedy. I don't think that is a bad thing, as long as you're not too much of a prick about it. I can't think of anything that has particularly offended me on this podcast. Matt's at his most contentious in Case Closed, which is why it's my favorite segment, and Matt's unique sensibility is why I4H is my favorite podcast, but I feel there's no doubt that Matt is a bully sometimes. That call Matt made a while back to a sort of mediator to judge whether he'd been excessive berating that homophobe, that shows that Matt is conscious of it and making an effort to be more tactful about it.

• Like 1

So glad they brought up the NSA subject. I think our breach of privacy isn't discussed enough. Especially through major companies. Thank you I4H, for having the botango's to speak about things that may make some uncomfortable but is nevertheless crucial.

Ha, they give Aaron a hard time for drinking milk (and eating twix) on Professor Blastoff ... always funny.

As a lactose intolerant, I'm glad the milk-drinkers are being taken down a peg! I have adult relatives that will sit down and drink a glass of milk with dinner, it is seriously disgusting.

• Like 1