🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 150 — Warrior Pose

Howard, its called roots reggae. It's not some specific style that is only for Bob Marley to use. And I have to disagree that the Golden Age of Hip Hop is the late 80s -- it starts from the beginning of West Coast gangsta funk and ends after the dissolution of Rawkus Records.

I'll agree with Paul about Radiohead. They had some of the best albums of a generation with The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A, and they had a solid one with Hail to the Thief. Then they just got really scrambled with one other's direction and started doing really experimental stuff that you could take or leave. Their albums aren't as solid as they used to be because of it.

Then Howard started talking about one of them getting shot and I was like WTF.

There were a couple of things that Howard said in this ep that I was like, "huh?"

• Like 1

Howard, its called roots reggae. It's not some specific style that is only for Bob Marley to use. And I have to disagree that the Golden Age of Hip Hop is the late 80s -- it starts from the beginning of West Coast gangsta funk and ends after the dissolution of Rawkus Records.

G-funk is the infinite jam. 213 is amazing, or anything with Warren G/Nate Dogg

• Like 2

There were a couple of things that Howard said in this ep that I was like, "huh?"

I don't know what you're talking about, he always makes complete sense to me.

Radiohead for me is like the Beatles; I have never owned an album and never actively sought them out because everyone else around is listening to them or they're on some radio/karaoke/whatever. I'm not super into Radiohead; their arc is kind of like Pink Floyd: basic kinda weird rock to concept freak psych rock to formula. I dig that they've brought some interesting elements into popular music, though.

G-funk is the infinite jam. 213 is amazing, or anything with Warren G/Nate Dogg

They had Pharohe Monche on Shots Fired this week. It was a good interview and when they played his songs, it was a stark, stark contrast to what on going on now.

• Like 3

I don't know what you're talking about, he always makes complete sense to me.

Radiohead for me is like the Beatles; I have never owned an album and never actively sought them out because everyone else around is listening to them or they're on some radio/karaoke/whatever. I'm not super into Radiohead; their arc is kind of like Pink Floyd: basic kinda weird rock to concept freak psych rock to formula. I dig that they've brought some interesting elements into popular music, though.

I just like the videos for Karma Police and Paranoid Andriod. Other than that I have no idea about any other songs they have done. What do elements do you think others have used from them?

I like Radiohead but I get why it isn't everyone's cup of tea. But that shot at the Cure, ooof, that hurt. One of the best live shows I've ever attended, even though Robert Smith kind of looks like my great aunt now.

I've heard Paul tell the Russell Crowe story before but I never get sick of hearing it.

Just like I'll never ever get sick of Whooch.

Second listen thoughts: Howard's new verse was good. Is he gonna make this a ongoing feature? New verses for each ep?

Oh yeah, that was really good. All the other new ones have had weird, specific stuff that wouldn't really fit as permanent themes, but this one definitely could.

PS - Speaking of Morrissey

http://www.vulture.c...d=twitter_nymag

It is so fucking hilarious that he got Penguin Classics to release his memoir. Someone over there must be a big fan.

[re: Radiohead]

I just like the videos for Karma Police and Paranoid Andriod. Other than that I have no idea about any other songs they have done. What do elements do you think others have used from them?

Well, apart from maybe The Flaming Lips, they're the biggest band that has really weird, psychedelic elements (synthesizers, tons of effects, sound collage, lots of playing around with stereo positioning, etc) and oftentimes avoids conventional verse/chorus/verse/bridge/verse/chorus structure. They're obviously not the first people to do things like this, and I would hesitate to call them "experimental" because everything is intentional, but I can't think of anyone as big as Radiohead that was doing similar things -- basically using the entire studio as an instrument (Tortoise's "Millions Now Living..." is a great example of this). Nine Inch Nails is really the only huge band I can think of in the 1990s that was doing weird stuff musically. Of course there's tons of underground shit everywhere that is crazy, but I'm talking headlining area huge.

I think Radiohead's influence is being felt in a lot of current music, young musicians and producers who grew up on that music. Stuff like chillwave, lots of indie rock, even some hip-hop is pretty strange now compared to a decade ago. And prior to Radiohead, it was pretty fucking uncool to have keyboards in a rock band.

...even though Robert Smith kind of looks like my great aunt now.

Good 'ol Fat Bob. British men do tend to get the bloat as they age (and drink pints).

• Like 1

Radiohead, Morrissey and The Smiths are three of my favorite bands ever. Weird hearing them all mentioned on this chart.

• Like 1

Damnnit Howard stop trolling us Radiohead fans!

Saying Radiohead peaked with Creep is like saying Steven Spielberg peaked with Duel.

They're still really really good even though Kid A is their best album always and forever. I feel like them not releasing albums causes the average person to assume they fell off a cliff. I'm just tired of hearing how great the Bends is when it's not even in their top 5 releases

• Like 1

Sly Stallone did in fact host SNL about a month after Cop Land was released in theatres in 1997. Pretty good episode, too. Some good sketches.

i still think about the orange julius sketch from that snl episode he hosted and how he killed just by saying orange juliuis so many times.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5148521/stallone_on_snl_1997_orange_julius_skit/

That NME "creepy music" chart was so goofy. it was like some lame old guys hanging out talking about how they used to make real creepy music back in their day, how they saw that Aphex Twin video once, and synthesizers can make weird noises. they could have even stuck with some of the same artists and chosen different songs for a better list. get your shit together lame old guys at NME!