🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 250 — Podcast Silence

I liked the episode, but I understand why people might have been put off. It was weird hearing a guest laugh so much on CBB.

I love that Scott and Garbus busted Pete's balls when he broke out the Seinfeld stuff.

• Like 1

So I'm 8 minutes into the show and the guest hasn't been formally introduced yet, but it seems to be some kinda guy who laughs and yells a lot, and makes dumb noises.

I would love it if Garbrus came back to face off against Wompler in a battle of the interns

Don't forget Reardon!

• Like 1

God, I just can't take Pete Holmes. He just doesn't collaborate. He has to be the center of attention at all times, find any and every excuse to break into terrible impressions and laugh his face off at his own terrible puns. You've got these great, up-and-coming comedians on the show and he won't let them be funny, because it has to be him.

I absolutely love CBB. Unfortunately the guests can be hit or miss. Pete Holmes is a total miss. I've been on the fence about You Made It Weird for a while now, because Holmes breaks the cardinal rule of comedy (at least to me): don't laugh at yourself. Pete Holmes thinks Pete Holmes is hilarious. He is not. Between his laugh, bad impressions (intentionally bad... I get it) and overly verbose, interrupting style... I have no clue how this guy got his own show.

Sorry Pete. You're not funny. You can practically hear the disdain dripping from Scott's tongue. Good job staying professional Scott. I could tell Pete was annoying you.

See you Thursday or next week CBB!

Pete Holmes is excited by Pete Holmes. His standup is fine, not particularly distinctive, but well-crafted. But he's a disaster in this format. CBB is an improv show, and Pete is just selfish. The spirit of the show was lost on him, it seemed. Gabrus and Murphy were stuck being one-note stereotypes (albeit hilarious ones) because any time they would attempt to expand on their characters or heighten the scenarios he would be like, "Hey, I wonder what Jerry Seinfeld would say in this situation?" and then burst out into thirty seconds of Joker-laughter, completely derailing anything.

I should stop. I hate it when people hate on things that I love and I know a lot of people love Pete Holmes. I think he can be funny--his appearance on HDTGM is a highlight--but he ruined a potentially great episode to me and came across as totally self absorbed.

EDIT: Ok, one more thing. Doesn't Pete realize that people haven't been impressed by Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld or Al Pacino impressions for like 10 years? How hack is that? And the fact that he insists upon inserting them in every podcast appearance is so insane.

^3 great summaries. Hey Pete, way to plow right over the last guest. You had you segment, now left someone else perform. Pete does not play well with others. What a douche. I felt bad for Scott on this one.

Pete Holmes was fine. Personally the part of the episode I didn't like was the Pamela Murphy character, she was annoying and it was basically one joke over and over. As for Jon Gabrus, I have no idea who he is but he needs to be on again, he was fantastic.

• Like 1

As a fellow hard-laugher, I completely empathize with Pete[r]. I know it's annoying as hell. I hate that I do it, but I can't help it. When someone says something genuinely witty I let out this weird, explosive laugh that sometimes physically blows people back like a cartoon. When I try to laugh like a normal person, it comes off fake, and it feels fake. When I bellow like a orgasming water buffalo, it's perfectly genuine. I'd change it if I could, but I can't. There has to be a medical term for this.

• Like 2

"He looked me straight in the face and said, "Honestly, I can't do this shit anymore."... made me laugh harder than anything in weeks on CBB. I'm all for Jon Gabrus becoming a regular. I loved the Long Island name dropping too; Mulcahy's being the most surprising. Good episode, and I'm looking forward to watching Pete Holmes laugh at everything for a half hour every night on TBS.

Ok, I love Pete Holmes, but I actually kind of like that the people who find him annoying are speaking up in this thread, becaaaauuuse it occurred to me that maybe Scotty Ock set this up as a social experiment. Remember a couple of Pam Murphy appearances ago where she played the stand-up comic who worked at the Charlie Brown Steakhouse, and the thread started with a lot of comments about that character being annoying, and then Scott jumped in and turned it into a discussion about the potential sexism of people tending to criticize the over-the-top female characters as annoying? Well here's the same performer alongside a not-even-playing-a-character Pete Holmes, and this thread is all about people finding Pete annoying (other than the Butt guy). It looks like Earwolf forum posters are equal-opportunity as far as being annoyed!

With the exception of Eugene Cordero as Tio Ben at the Filipino Blockbuster, John Garbus as Gino was probably my favorite new character introduced in 2013. Garbus totally ruled that episode with his broadcasting know-how. I'm so looking forward to the soon-to-be-epic CBB episode of the Wompler/Lombardo showdown. You know it's gonna happen!

Probably one to be mentioned in the Best Of for this year.

All the people who are all butthurt, just put this out of your mind. Next week will be the Halloween show, and that likely means a return to Messmore and Beuford at Suicide House.

• Like 2

maybe Scotty Ock set this up as a social experiment.

Highly doubtful. Holmes is just as self-centered and annoying on all his podcasts and appearances. If Scott's intention was to have on an annoying guest, well it worked. 100% successful. Now let me hear a CBB episode where one guest doesn't try to derail the entire episode.

All the people who are all butthurt, just put this out of your mind. Next week will be the Halloween show, and that likely means a return to Messmore and Beuford at Suicide House.

I miss Gelman, it sucks he's only on CBB for the Halloween eps but I am very excited for the return to 1122 Boogie Woogie Avenue!

Also Scott said on twitter that we are getting a b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s ep this week

Highly doubtful. Holmes is just as self-centered and annoying on all his podcasts and appearances. If Scott's intention was to have on an annoying guest, well it worked. 100% successful. Now let me hear a CBB episode where one guest doesn't try to derail the entire episode.

That's what I meant. He brought on Pete Holmes as someone whose voice can be just as hair-raising as people said the Pamela Murphy character from the Kristen Schaal episode was, to see if people would call out a male guest's annoyance factor the same way they did that particular female guest. And I'm kidding, mostly, but maybe not?

That's what I meant. He brought on Pete Holmes as someone whose voice can be just as hair-raising as people said the Pamela Murphy character from the Kristen Schaal episode was, to see if people would call out a male guest's annoyance factor the same way they did that particular female guest. And I'm kidding, mostly, but maybe not?
I think you are far too kind and forgiving and clever.

I think Pete's a spaz who can't handle playing second fiddle, even for an hour.

Hopefully his talk show is better than this appearance.

I liked everything about this episode.

• Like 2

I enjoy Pete, and I still found this delightful.

I'm about a half hour into the podcast, and Gabrus is killing it, by the way. He's great.

Oh I agree. I don't mind Pete at all but I get why he grates on some.

Well one person has still complained about Pam Murphy's character being annoying. It's a funny idea though and I wondered if I was crazy because a similar thought occurred to me. It is much more likely that Scott just wanted to have Pamela back on and the timing worked out though.

Anyone feeling frustrated at Pete's appearance today should just listen to this clip of Chelsea Peretti joyously describing in great detail how she would murder and bury Pete( r ).

It reminds me of how much she laughed at the idea of murdering Kulap and standing over Scott with a gun and a knife. If a bunch of LA comedians are brutally murdered one day, we'll know who to blame.

In a related story, I just watched Pete's Monday Conan appearance promoting the TV show. He was constantly trying to hold back his laughter. So, there's that.

I miss Gelman, it sucks he's only on CBB for the Halloween eps but I am very excited for the return to 1122 Boogie Woogie Avenue!

Also Scott said on twitter that we are getting a b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s ep this week

Hopefully the b-b-b-b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s-s-s ep will be Tim & Eric and Zach Galifianakis promoting their Halloween TV special. One can only dream!

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, so this is the new hate episode huh? I like how everybody just blames Pete Holmes for messing stuff up. Gabrus, Scott and Pete were just being wacky and having fun, that went a little far and Pam's character got the shaft a bit (not from Kyle or Pipe though). Big deal. That has happened in other episodes.

Pete is just having fun and laughing with other comics. He's being who he is, loud laughing, bad impressions and half-bits being thrown around.

Also to whomever that said You Made It Weird always comes back to Pete, who the heck else is a one on one interview supposed to go back to? He talks, the guest talks, he talks, the guest talks. It's a conversation.

Lighten up people, the episode was funny.

• Like 16

Eh, I don't think anyone "hates" Pete. (BTW, that was me who said he constantly brings convos with his guests back to himself and his own eccentricities. For an interview show, YMIW is surprisingly all about Pete. But whatever. Same thing could be said for Maron at times.) I feel that so-called "comics" who aren't funny, aren't collaborative and are actively grating need to be called out. He's self-admittedly egocentric (Chelsea clip, hilarious) Apparently some people like him; I find nothing to like. Not trying to beat dead horses. Anyway that's all I got. CBB rules.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, so this is the new hate episode huh? I like how everybody just blames Pete Holmes for messing stuff up. Gabrus, Scott and Pete were just being wacky and having fun, that went a little far and Pam's character got the shaft a bit (not from Kyle or Pipe though). Big deal. That has happened in other episodes.

Pete is just having fun and laughing with other comics. He's being who he is, loud laughing, bad impressions and half-bits being thrown around.

Also to whomever that said You Made It Weird always comes back to Pete, who the heck else is a one on one interview supposed to go back to? He talks, the guest talks, he talks, the guest talks. It's a conversation.

Lighten up people, the episode was funny.

im sorry a famous comedian likes riffing on a comedy podcast.

Eh, I don't think anyone "hates" Pete. (BTW, that was me who said he constantly brings convos with his guests back to himself and his own eccentricities. For an interview show, YMIW is surprisingly all about Pete. But whatever. Same thing could be said for Maron at times.) I feel that so-called "comics" who aren't funny, aren't collaborative and are actively grating need to be called out. He's self-admittedly egocentric (Chelsea clip, hilarious) Apparently some people like him; I find nothing to like. Not trying to beat dead horses. Anyway that's all I got. CBB rules.

yeah, its why people can't stand kevin pollak.

I've heard some of Pete Holmes' standup and agree that he can be very, very funny although a bit too much over the top for my standup tastes.

however, I think it's fair to say that that's the only venue in which he should ever perform. "doesn't play well with others"

on this CBB he was a bull in a china shop. destroying everything in his path. he just doesn't have an ounce of self restraint. and character based, subtle, interactive comedy requires that.

this episode made me very mad. i'm trying not to HATE Pete Holmes but finding it difficult right now.

• Like 3