🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 253 — Fieri Fight

Nobody can please everyone all the time. Maybe it's best to follow the adage of not saying anything at all unless you have something nice to say; but I enjoy being able to like and dislike Earwolf's shows in equal measure, and not feel inhibited.

I empathize with your desire to be able to express your true opinions on these shows, whether positive or negative. And yet, I wonder whether the official Earwolf forums is the right place to express those negative opinions.

I'm sure the Earwolf folks knew what they were in for when they created this forum; the internet commentariat are nothing if not an opinionated bunch. Still, if we are to think of this forum as a direct line to the creators of the content we listen to for free on a daily basis, then I think some amount of discretion is necessary in what we choose to say to those creators. Because we want them to keep making us laugh, for free.

Imagine if you were a creator, putting out one or two hour-long shows a week in a format as unpredictable as improvisational comedy. What are the odds that every single episode is going to be an instant classic (even for a show with as staggeringly high a batting average as CBB)? Personally, I think knowing that an online shitstorm was coming every time my show had an off day would be a pretty shitty environment in which to create.

You guys are accomplishing so much with this debate. I admire your persistence. Instead of moving on, you just keep at it. In my eyes, that's the mark of a truly fulfilled and accomplished person.

Also, this would have been a great episode of Rafflecast. More Rafflecast!

(And in anticipation of future replies, no I am not fulfilled or accomplished. I just come here to enjoy comedy and support the people who make me laugh the most. I think most people in these forums are here for the same reason.)

• Like 1

CHEERS to the Earwolf community for their positive energy regarding the Halloween and Pete Holmes episodes. While I haven't seen the comments personally, I can tell based on Scott's reaction that people said very nice things.

JEERS to Jon Daly for spoiling the illusion that Comedy Bang Bang is happening, live, as I listen to it.

CHEERS to the writing staff and A/V guys for all the work they do, uncredited, behind the scenes.

JEERS to the network for "never sending emails" to Scott. I mean, come on, not even on Christmas? Have a heart, Earwolf.

CHEERS to Bill Cosby Bukowski for his beautiful Jelloems.

JEERS to Bill Cosby Bukowski for not being a real person, and instead a figment of Jon Daly's imagination.

CHEERS to Scott and the gang for closing with a great musical interlude.

JEERS to Scott Aukerman for not mentioning iDon'tknowanymores in his Audible ads.

And finally, MAJOR JEERS to everyone at Comedy Bang Bang for trying to take credit as "the first podcast to play tic-tac-toe." Fans of the wonderful Tic-Tac-Toe-Cast (or 3TC as we call it) know better.

• Like 3

Oh Scotty, you've had 251 episodes of overwhelmingly positive feedback, given the general standards of comment sections and forums that might make you internet Jesus.

People where just disappointed about Suicide House and Pete Holmes has an annoying laugh.

Edit: No offence meant to Pete, you're still the internets best Batman.

• Like 1

Jon and Tim both have such odd energy that works so well for this kind of faux contentious business. That was such convoluted, awesome, interpersonal drama. I really enjoyed that.

"I know that he raped a little boy".....what a magnificent counter lie.

• Like 1

Oh Scotty, you've had 251 episodes of overwhelmingly positive feedback, given the general standards of comment sections and forums that might make you internet Jesus.

People where just disappointed about Suicide House and Pete Holmes has an annoying laugh.

Edit: No offence meant to Pete, you're still the internets best Batman.

Have we forgotten about the rash of hated Pamela Murphy characters so soon? Scott had to get involved and post for that one. He isn't *just now* reacting to the forums and the last 250 episodes haven't magically been free of criticism.

Hey guys, here's the key piece of information that will explain this whole episode:

Guy Fieri is Tim Heidecker. It started off as a character of Tim's and then slowly evolved into a split personality of his (à la FIGHT CLUB). Tim first thought of the idea for his Fieri character 25 years ago while sitting with his family at a Diner in Jersey. And the rest is history. That's why Tim got so offended, and seemed to almost take it personally when Jon made fun of Guy Fieri.

That feeling by the way? That feeling is your mind being blown.

...You're welcome.

• Like 1

I don't get why were not allowed to say we don't like an episode, I've given CBB money, I'm a fan of the show. I won't stop being a fan of the show. Why can't I say I don't like an episode?

• Like 2

why peices of shit not appreciating CBB free fun time?

It's like I'm being chastied by the Hulk.

I don't get why were not allowed to say we don't like an episode, I've given CBB money, I'm a fan of the show. I won't stop being a fan of the show. Why can't I say I don't like an episode?

In fairness Scott didn't stop us from criticizing , he just mentioned it. And given these are his friends that are appearing as somewhat of a favor his instinct to defend them is very natural. I still stand by the ettiqute of respectfully worded critique, but that doesn't mean I don't genuninely appreciate what this place offers and feel a little bad that we caused some grief for the dude that makes it happen.

• Like 4

Pete's laugh is fine. It's listeners' annoying ears that are the problem.

• Like 1

Why can't I say I don't like an episode?

Why can't The Choctaw say he was bummed out hearing a bunch of folks say they didn't like an episode?

In fairness Scott didn't stop us from criticizing , he just mentioned it. And given these are his friends that are appearing as somewhat of a favor his instinct to defend them is very natural. I still stand by the ettiqute of respectfully worded critique, but that doesn't mean I don't genuninely appreciate what this place offers and feel a little bad that we caused some grief for the dude that makes it happen.

You perfectly put what I was thinking into that. Thank you, sir.

You can, but it'll probably change nothing at all. It's the choice between moving on or standing your ground, where your ground is rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

Boy, do I ever feel ashamed of myself for stating my dislike for Pete Holmes.

I love this show and will continue to listen until it's done. That said, you'd think Scott would have a thicker skin at this point.

I absoLUTEly love Tim Heidecker's brand of awkward, poo-pooing "anti-humor". Dude plays angry very well. I always feel very uncomfortable (in a good way) with his disdain at being interviewed and contradicted.

Anyway, for a guy with a very successful podcast and TV show, I'm just surprised Scott hasn't had to deal with internet haters before. Or maybe this is the first time it's bothered him enough to be vocal about it.

The debates about criticism are interesting. Personally I find this forum to be very civil in its feedback.

Hey Scott. I don't comment here often, but after hearing this week's episode, I gotta tell ya: It stunk. First, what's with all the talking? Play more tunes. I downloaded this thing off iTUNES, not iTALK. Second, I think you've done a good job lately finding guests that are good at TRYING to be funny, but aren't really that great at just BEING funny. You know what I mean? I know we can't have Paul F. Tompkins or Andy Daly EVERY episode, but can we at least have Paul F. Tompkins and Andy Daly every episode? Thanks. Basically, just remember the two fundamentals of comedy: "Characters" and "Jokes."

• Like 3

I think I learned a lot this episode. The only thing I never got an answer for was who needs to get off whose lawn.

• Like 1

First, what's with all the talking? Play more tunes. I downloaded this thing off iTUNES, not iTALK.

BRING BACK JUKEBOX JURY

ALTERNATE BETWEEN JUKEBOX JURY AND FREESTYLE RAP CONTEST THEN GO STRAIGHT TO THE PLUGS THEME AND THEN IMMEDIATELY CLOSE THE PLUG BAG AND END THE SHOW

• Like 4