🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 129 — Scientists

After Tig blows everyone’s mind with her baby voice, the gang is joined by filmmaker/creator of Zoochosis Patrick Scott and terpsichorean neuroscientist Crystal Dilworth of Fail Lab to talk all about scientists. They’ll discuss the myth of the scientist, what makes a good scientist, and scientists that inspire them. That’s not all, there’s a new ringtone for all you Blastronauts out there!

• Like 1

Pretty good... But Lil' Tig that wanted Goobers was the moneymaker.

One of the best episodes of the year, both for the opening banter and the guests segment.

Great episode, as always!

A few thoughts.

If I understood correctly, the guests were trying to promote the recognition of female scientists as females, but also trying to discourage sexism. These aims are not diametrically in opposition to one another, but there is a somewhat fine line to walk there. I would suggest that science should be gender-blind (as it should be blind to all other characteristics of the individuals doing the science) and focus on the science being done. The work should speak for itself. I oppose sexism in every workplace.

It may be difficult for some folks to see an attractive female scientist, recognize the scientist as a female, but not note that she may be attractive. (Or maybe I have missed the point here. If so, I apologize.)

Also, in the clip, the scientists were suggesting that years of failure in the lab were required before grad students "became real scientists". I guess that depends how one defines "real scientists". I believe that anyone can learn and apply the scientific method and utilize it to do "real science". That is the beauty of science. And I don't think it takes billions of dollars to set up a "real science lab". Depending on the science one is doing, it may not require much equipment at all. Einstein did many "thought experiments" with only his brain. True, other scientists later used various apparatus to verify his hypotheses. We should encourage all kinds of people of all ages, educational backgrounds and means to do science.

The guests were well-spoken and interesting. They did a great job.

Welp, that's been comment.

• Like 3

Good stuff, Steven. A few thoughts of my own...

If I understood correctly, the guests were trying to promote the recognition of female scientists as females, but also trying to discourage sexism. These aims are not diametrically in opposition to one another, but there is a somewhat fine line to walk there. I would suggest that science should be gender-blind (as it should be blind to all other characteristics of the individuals doing the science) and focus on the science being done. The work should speak for itself. I oppose sexism in every workplace.

It may be difficult for some folks to see an attractive female scientist, recognize the scientist as a female, but not note that she may be attractive. (Or maybe I have missed the point here. If so, I apologize.)

I was a little confused by some of their message, too. I think the general idea is solid, and I've seen and enjoyed one of their videos, but I do think a cleaner one-sentence distillation of their message would help. Also, regarding sexism, at one point, Crystal said that every female scientist has suffered from sexual harassment in some form (probably not true, but beside the point), but then went on to discuss gender-based discrimination, which is a different issue.

Also, in the clip, the scientists were suggesting that years of failure in the lab were required before grad students "became real scientists". I guess that depends how one defines "real scientists". I believe that anyone can learn and apply the scientific method and utilize it to do "real science". That is the beauty of science. And I don't think it takes billions of dollars to set up a "real science lab". Depending on the science one is doing, it may not require much equipment at all. Einstein did many "thought experiments" with only his brain. True, other scientists later used various apparatus to verify his hypotheses. We should encourage all kinds of people of all ages, educational backgrounds and means to do science.

As someone who buys and manages research equipment, yeah, billions is a huge overestimate. Infrastructure is really expensive, which is why it's hard to build something from scratch, but there are various incubators (some affiliated with universities) that allow new ventures to work in existing facilities, or build new facilities in existing lab-oriented space.

Regarding the Einstein thing, I think the key is that a "thought experiment" isn't really an experiment using the scientific method; you need some physical apparatus for that. While a lot of experiments hundreds of years ago (or even in Einstein's era) were simple enough that the required apparatus wouldn't cost much at all, the rate of scientific advancement means that things get complicated enough and specific enough that it's pretty hard to truly find anything new without some sort of sophisticated equipment.

just when i thought i couldn't love this podcast more they go ahead and make this episode...<3

Now I'm ordinarily not an lol-er... But this one? Seriously. I was crying at one point. And I would also like to know if there is one among us who, as soon as they were alone in their car or home, did NOT say aloud: "All my lil' outfits. In my lil' suitcase." Because I surely did.

It could be my misunderstanding of the guest's phrasing—so ignore me if I've misinterpreted what was said—but I find it hard to believe that chewing nicotine gum or using a nicotine lozenge would cause lung cancer; especially in cases where the user had no previous smoking habits.

I say this for two reasons. Individuals who do not smoke, but are exposed to pollution of unusual amounts can develop lung cancer, which points more toward the carcinogens in cigarettes as a higher potential cause as opposed to nicotine. In addition, smoking marijuana—again, no nicotine involved—is correlated with lung cancer. Again, it's the carcinogens in smoking that seem the likely candidate for lung cancer.

Please note the careful use of "correlation" here as opposed to "cause." No study reliably shows what in cigarettes cause lung cancer. Most studies investigating smoking and lung cancer are statistical studies in nature and so what they show is a correlation between smoking and lung cancer. They are not descriptions of a cause. My own grandmother, for instance, smoked (lightly) for her entire adult life. She lived into her 90s. Her smoking did not cause lung cancer. So the difference between "correlates with" and "cause" is an important distinction.

I would argue that given the cases of smoking (tobacco or marijuana) or pollution the stronger suspect for causing cancer is the carcinogens that come along with burning substances and not nicotine itself. The amount consumed also must play a role. If you smoke one cigarette, it will not cause you to get lung cancer.

Lest I be misunderstood as advocating cigarette smoking or nicotine usage, I do not. I would also note that nicotine in high enough doses (60mg for a 150 pound adult) is lethal. What I'm really after here, since this is an episode about scientists, is that there is an important and significant difference between correlation and cause. I believe that stating that nicotine causes lung cancer is incorrect.

Two scientists is good, but 5 scientists would be outstanding.

The whole build up to Tig's lil-outfits-in-my-lil-suitcase voice, and then the barely disguised disappointment and indifference from Kyle, David and Aaron, is one of the best things on Professor Blastoff ever.

Sign in to follow this