🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 75 — Daredevil

Writer and Daredevil expert Ed Brubaker join Paul, June, and Jason to break down Ben Affleck’s blind performance in both the theatrical version and director’s cut of Daredevil. They’ll cover everything from the sitcom looking streets, Bullseye treating his forehead like a nipple, the playground fight/dance scene, and the huge subplot involving a drug addict played by Coolio which was cut from the theatrical version. Spoiler: June loved it! Don’t forget to get tickets for Paul’s Christmas Spectacular and a LIVE Holiday edition of How Did This Get Made? at Largo in Los Angeles on December 12th & 13th! Make sure to see June’s movie Ass Backwards in theaters this Friday!

I saw this in theaters on a midnight Thursday showing. Daredevil is tied with the Fantastic Four as my favorite Marvel franchise. I was 18 years old, so for some reason I decided to get hammered beforehand. It didn't make the movie any more palatable. I distinctly remember asking my friend if I could stand up and scream at the movie during the playground fight. He said it was a bad idea, but after the movie was over, he admitted he was wrong.

Worst movie I've ever seen in theaters. Daredevil lets someone die on the traintracks? After the famous Frank Miller sequence where he saves Bullseye from a similar fate and hates himself for it? Just months after a movie where a rampaging Hulk DOESN'T KILL A SINGLE PERSON?!?

I understand that an adaptation doesn't need to slavishly adhere to the source material. Daredevil not killing is an essential part to his character. Hulk is a goddamn out of control monster.

Brubaker was a perfect choice as guest.

Excited as hell because (again) this is the worst theater experience I have ever had.

Not a single mention that they named the rapist after Joe Quesada (Daredevil writer, Marvel CO). Definitely the best way to pay homage to someone.

• Like 4

I actually like this movie and my grin was so wide when June revealed, "I loved it." It's the first time I've heard that from another human being!

• Like 1

Common misconception: being blind does NOT "heighten your other senses." Tests have shown that bind people's' heading, touch, etc. are no stronger than other people's. The only thing is they get used to using their other senses mute effectively.

Common misconception: being blind does NOT "heighten your other senses." Tests have shown that bind people's' heading, touch, etc. are no stronger than other people's. The only thing is they get used to using their other senses mute effectively.

Does that apply to radioactive induced blindness?

Also, I think that's just naturally implied. No one thinks losing your eyesight makes your hearing into a mutant strength. You just gain more sensitivity because you have less sensory crutches.

• Like 2

I watched the Original, then the Director's cut, then this episode in a 48-hour period. WOW. What a ride!

Fantastic episode, with a perfect guest. First time I've ever been annoyed by June (in a good way). The fact that she "loved it" but was clearly talking about the theatrical release drove me BONKERS. Because most things she references are actually sorta turned into a lovable thing in the director's cut!

In the directors cut, every character is developed by at least 1 extra scene. Motivations are at least 2 dimensional instead of 1. The "Romance" isn't shoehorned in. And the Coolio subplot being edited out literally edits out the entire narrative structure of the film. All those weird disparate scenes actually make complete sense now! Still a weak movie, but it goes from "Only Thing Worse Is Batman & Robin" to "Somewhat Better Than Spiderman 3."

If you got sick of hearing the guest reference it, they really aren't exaggerating how much of a different movie it is. It literally turns it INTO a movie. I've never seen anything like it. Theatrical version is more fun as an awful movie, but the DC is (somewhat) genuinely worth watching if bad movies truly upset you.

• Like 2

One of my favorite comic authors kicking it with the HDTGM crew....I think I have the Vapors! Criminal and incognito were so magnificent I'd listen to him on a podcast with an old mop and the english teacher that spat at me in highschool.

• Like 1

Poor Coolio! He was cut out of Daredevil but was included in Leprechaun From The Hood. Dude, has bad, bad luck.

• Like 3

I remember watching this movie to see that a local now defunct band from my area, Revis had a song called "Caught In The Rain" on the soundtrack. It's about as good as the Evanescence, song but only made to the last song in the movie before the credits end.

• Like 1

Poor Coolio! He was cut out of Daredevil but was included in Leprechaun From The Hood. Dude, has bad, bad luck.

He also got screentime in Batman & Robin. Again...bad, bad luck.

5 minutes in and I can already sense that June is going to be the MVP of this episode.

memejunedare1_zpse8ab40bd.jpg

memejunedare2_zps5b0671ba.jpg

• Like 10

Notes/comments from listening to this:

The part where Joey Pants lights up the "DD" on the ground by the subway is taken from a similar scene in 1994's The Crow.

Daredevil came out 2 years before Batman Begins.

Paul's "shitty video game" comment was spot-on.

I am shocked at how fluidly Brubaker was able to riff with the crew and fit right into the tone of the show. It's nice when people you dig artistically seem chill and likeable in real life. This might be my favorite episode...only Birdemic stands rival. It's like some did a metadata search on my twitter feed and setup this podcast accordingly.

And Zouk's impressed me with his comic chops.

• Like 6

Notes from listening to this:

The part where Joey Pants lights up the "DD" on the ground by the subway is taken from a similar scene in 1994's The Crow.

Daredevil came out 2 years before Batman Begins.

And its also a Goof because in the close up of Joe Pantoliano looking at the "DD" the image its NOT mirrored/reversed (as it should be) in the glasses reflection ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED/EDITED: As Paul points out after the commercial break here is the screenshot of the $10.000 digital mistake I stand corrected

613_2_large.jpg

Edited by Maximiliano

VOTE ON THE WORST HOLIDAY MOVIE OVER AT FYI!!

(Tim Allen and Vince Vaughn are heavily involved)

tumblr_lux7mllboJ1r66uieo1_250.gif