🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 62 — TV CARNAGE

TV Carnage creator Derrick Beckles joins Jake to talk about his new Adult Swim show “Hot Package” which parodies network entertainment shows such as Entertainment Tonight. Derrick & Jake discuss the genuine passion of creating compilations of the strangest clips he can find from late-night informercials & local-access programs, getting tabloid news kingpin Pat O'Brien to be a co-host on Hot Package, and Totally for Teens, his old Adult Swim pilot for a fake teen show that nearly got picked up. As always, check out the full playlist over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles!

Just watched the clips, haven't listened to the podcast yet but HOLY FUCK!

A young Eddie Pepitone appears!

hqdefault.jpg

chris-gaines.jpg

Ahahahaha, before my work moved we had a life-size cardboard cutout of this jackoff and used to doodle on him. What I would have given to be a fly on the wall during the meeting Garth Brooks had with his record executives about this project. I think at one point they were even giving away this cd at McDonalds.

I'm psyched to listen to this. Derrick Beckles is a great dude who was doing those incredible TV Carnage mixtapes way before those Found Footage Fest guys started their shtick (and I'm pretty sure they pulled a few clips from TV Carnage and presented it as "found footage"). He came to Portland maybe five years ago and I don't remember anything except that he was wearing Zubaz pants and I laughed my ass off.

• Like 3

I was trying to get a side-by-side comparison of "Chis Gaines" and Kriss Angel because their look is so similar, but in the internet wasn't having it. The whole idea of Garth wanting to be an "alt" artist really cracks me up and I could listen to people talk about it forever. I like to imagine that Kriss Angel's dream is to have an taler-ego wherein he is a slobbish, no talent country singer.

This episode was a treat. Anytime Jake gets someone who's known for super specific and inane tv/internet stuff I get excited.

• Like 1

Anytime Jake gets someone who's known for super specific and inane tv/internet stuff I get excited.

Then you are going to love the "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" episode in a couple of weeks!

• Like 4

Then you are going to love the "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" episode in a couple of weeks!

Jeff Krulik? AWW YISS. He is a helluva guy. I can't wait! Very interested in his "Blassie Goes To Washington" stories.

• Like 1

This was perfectly timed. DVRed Hot Package last week on a whim, watched it for the first time Tuesday, got to listen to this on my way to work yesterday.

Great interview as usual, Jake. As a huge fan of Derrick and his work (especially T4T), your questions shined a lot of light on where his unusual and awesome sense of humor stems from.

I highly recommend all of you to go and watch the full T4T pilot when you have 12 minutes to spare. I was really disappointed that AS didn't pick it up, and hearing Derrick talk about them possibly resurrecting the project made my day.

Sign in to follow this