🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 63 — Donate Your Car Today

Julie Klausner, Dave Hill, Katie Notopoulos, and Kitty join Jake LIVE from the Bell House in New York! They introduce Kars-4-Kids to Dave, take a look at another internet phenomenon involving dogs reacting to the Law & Order theme, and chat about Jordy, the french rapping baby. Plus, a very special hardcore punk guest drops by! As always, check out the full playlist over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles!

• Like 1

Awesome episode Jake.

Any time Julie Klausner is on the podcast (or any podcast) makes it the greatest thing ever! Also hearing Dave Hill's confusion for Kars-4-Kids was nothing short of peeing in my pants hilarous; that damn song is infectious. One of the sports radio stations here in LA, keep the mics hot and sing along with the jingle, which makes it quite funny.

As for Benny Mardones.... well, that song creeped me out when I heard as a kid in the 80s. Truly disturbing.

The link below is the story behind the song:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=9739

Keep up the great work, Jake

-R

• Like 2

Great episode but... that.damned.jingle. In Indy we have a few car dealers who figured out a while ago that consumers LOVE it when you take a public domain kids' song and turn it into the kind of tune that makes you want to pull your own brain out through your auditory canal and then buy up every ad block they can get their greasy car dealer hands on. That's why I listen to podcasts instead of the radio, maybe.

• Like 1

Great episode Jake, and a wonderful panel of guests.

I HAVE ONE ISSUE THOUGH. Concerning the Kars4Kids jingle. Since it's primarily a radio ad, they go out of their way multiple times to remind the listener that it's "Kars with a 'K,'" but never once do they mention that it's the number "4," not "for." Their Youtube channel even calls it the "1-8-7-7 kars for kids song."

There could be someone out there with garages and garages crammed full of cars trying to give them to all the kids, but he's dialing 1-877-Kars-For-Kids so he can't get through.

That was just something that concerned me as a newcomer to the Kars4Kids phenomenon. Personally I think this needs to be remedied next time they do a remix.

• Like 2

Awesome lineup! Julie Klausner was terrific on @Midnight last week.

Howard Kremer will be very jealous if/when he finds out you got Kitty on the show.

p.s. I listened to the Bread & Butter episode twice last night while in the kitchen and watched the video about ten times in a row; for the life of me I cannot fucking figure out the narrative in that song. Is the screaming guy the woman? Are the two brothers the man, collectively? First-person accounts or third-person? The ambiguity begins to drive you crazy after a while (although that could just be the song working its awful magic).

• Like 1

wow wow wow what an amazing clusterfuck of an episode. great panel, great clips. LOVE IT.

It's "Entenmann's!"

By the way, this was awesome! I loved Skate Witches! And uh...I think that Benny Mardones song was pretty catchy. Sorry.

My thought when the Jordy clip started was: "Of course this is what french baby rap sounds like," If you had just described the video to me I would have heard that music.

Jesus that fucking Natalie

You'd think she'd be able to laugh about how years ago she appeared on a show designed to shock the kind of people who watch daytime talk shows, listing off how this one kid is a junior highschool dropout like these are his punk credentials. But instead, nope, she still behaves like a fucking infant. FUCK YOU DAD WE DON'T NEED YOUR MONEY, we MAKE OUR OWN CLOTHES, now it's SALON PUNK hey let me do my bit about how URBAN OUTFITTERS, heh, they pre-tear your clothes for you can you believe that!! I'm a NYU JOURNALISM GRADUATE so you don't sca r e em e e

Just fuck off Natalie you're fucking awful. What a fucking bummer. Just thinking about how she still exists is such a sadness. Grow the fuck up

JAAAKE!!! YOU PLAYED SWEATY AND HOT!!! It totally made my day. Now I know that way more people have seen it and I feel like the world is better.

Also, you should all watch the opening number where they introduce the competitors. I dare you to not watch the whole thing, it's just so hypnotizing and bizarre...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozoTzkCeO-A

I loved Julie giving you shit about having a million favorite things and thinking everything is the best thing ever. This is something I also do. But only because SO MANY THINGS ARE AMAZING!!

• Like 1

Just fuck off Natalie you're fucking awful. What a fucking bummer. Just thinking about how she still exists is such a sadness. Grow the fuck up

lol cool post "DEATHMAN"

• Like 4

Tom Scharpling's audio message is wonderful. Of course Robert Blake was involved.

By the way, I know people always suggest people for the show, but c'mon - AP Mike.

• Like 1

JAAAKE!!! YOU PLAYED SWEATY AND HOT!!! It totally made my day. Now I know that way more people have seen it and I feel like the world is better.

Also, you should all watch the opening number where they introduce the competitors. I dare you to not watch the whole thing, it's just so hypnotizing and bizarre...

Wow, that's some nightmare fuel right there!

I loved Julie giving you shit about having a million favorite things and thinking everything is the best thing ever. This is something I also do. But only because SO MANY THINGS ARE AMAZING!!

Damn right they are!

I feel like John Mulaney probably knows why dogs hate the Law and Order theme song

Jesus that fucking Natalie

You'd think she'd be able to laugh about how years ago she appeared on a show designed to shock the kind of people who watch daytime talk shows, listing off how this one kid is a junior highschool dropout like these are his punk credentials. But instead, nope, she still behaves like a fucking infant. FUCK YOU DAD WE DON'T NEED YOUR MONEY, we MAKE OUR OWN CLOTHES, now it's SALON PUNK hey let me do my bit about how URBAN OUTFITTERS, heh, they pre-tear your clothes for you can you believe that!! I'm a NYU JOURNALISM GRADUATE so you don't sca r e em e e

I get where you're coming from DEATHMAN, but I enjoyed hearing her rant on the show, and also hearing how the other panelists tried to tentatively interact with her. My impression is that Natalie has a bad case of Peter Pan syndrome, but I found her aggressive energy to be infectious, even though some of the stuff she said was boneheaded. And I also enjoyed her crazy daughter disrupting things. When her daughter becomes one of those goddamn rotten teenagers, I have a feeling Natlie will find hereself walking back on some of her punk/anarchism ideals.

I dunno. There's still some summer-of-love hippies who haven't broken out of their peace&love dipshit routine as they cross over into their senior years (Don't get me wrong, I love peace&love ... but you know the hippie caricature I'm talking about). Similarly, there's some aging 80s hardcore kids who've gotten kinda trapped in the persona they constructed as youths. But it's all good. It's all part of the human experience. It's all part of what keeps this big world spinnin' .

• Like 1

Jake, everyone knows the role you play as tastemaker, pop culture anthropologist, and champion of the underdog. You have been personally responsible for the revitalization of so many stillborn careers. It is for this reason that I write to you today.

This man needs your help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nldpjPbGqg

We've set up a special hotline where tax deductible car donations can be made to benefit washed-up singers/rappers/Dan Cortese stunt doubles. DIAL 1-877-KARDO-4-GERARDO. Thank you and God bless! :wub:

Great episode Jake, and a wonderful panel of guests.

I HAVE ONE ISSUE THOUGH. Concerning the Kars4Kids jingle. Since it's primarily a radio ad, they go out of their way multiple times to remind the listener that it's "Kars with a 'K,'" but never once do they mention that it's the number "4," not "for." Their Youtube channel even calls it the "1-8-7-7 kars for kids song."

There could be someone out there with garages and garages crammed full of cars trying to give them to all the kids, but he's dialing 1-877-Kars-For-Kids so he can't get through.

That was just something that concerned me as a newcomer to the Kars4Kids phenomenon. Personally I think this needs to be remedied next time they do a remix.

I have had this thought since I first heard this commercial a couple years ago!

Also, we had a dog that would howl every time Steve Miller's The Joker would come on the radio- only at the "whistle" part that comes after the "Some people call me Maurice." We listened to the local classic rock station in the shop, so this was a daily occurrence.

Is it strange that I never had the Kars for Kids theme in my head, but fucking Benny Mardones' "Into the Night" has been stuck in my brain off and on for the past week? Maybe I subconsciously love the song even though I consciously hate it?

Listening to this ep of The Fogelnest Files and re-listening to the Halloween III ep of 'How Did This Get Made' has now melded the 'Kars 4 Kids' jingle and the Shamrock mask song in my head.

"Four may days til Kars 4 Kids. Kars 4 Kids. Kars 4 Kids. Four more days til Kars 4 Kids - donate your car today!"

• Like 3

Listening to this ep of The Fogelnest Files and re-listening to the Halloween III ep of 'How Did This Get Made' has now melded the 'Kars 4 Kids' jingle and the Shamrock mask song in my head.

"Four may days til Kars 4 Kids. Kars 4 Kids. Kars 4 Kids. Four more days til Kars 4 Kids - donate your car today!"

A POX UPON YOU FOR WHAT YOU'VE WROUGHT ON MY BRAIN.