🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 8 — Who’s Got My Goo Balls?

Harris Wittels is back to be your tour guide through the cosmos (sorry) along with special guest Tom Scharpling of The Best Show on WFMU. Similar to Scott Aukerman, Tom could care less about Phish but is certainly open to change his mind. Will Tom appreciate the musical palindromes that Phish has to offer and join the club? You’ll have to tune in to find out!

Mr. Fogelnest,

I thought that your comment was funny. It was a nice nod to Mr. Scharpling. I also found the image of Tom actually coming to read the message boards of an Earwolf podcast to be funny as well. Thanks for your comedy!

Sincerely,

A loyal fan

P.S. If Banksy were a dog it would be Barksy

I'm saving this for work, but I cannot adequately express my sleep deprived excitement for the initial sleep deprived worst part of my next work day.

• Like 1

Is it just me having a problem with the file? It plays on my computer, but not on my phone.

Scharpling was spectacular, but this is Harris's worst playlist yet. Phish's continued existence is an affront to decency.

That being said, I would like to petition episode #10 be How Did Phish Get Made? with Jason Mantzoukas. Zouks spent several years abroad studying the trance-inducing qualities of indigenous music, and he is also exceptionally talented at calling out fucking garbage.

• Like 16

A rare-ish podcast with a guest known for his dislike of west coast podcasts- this episode is like a '52 Mickey Mantle rookie card. Or is it a Honus Wagner? If I cared more, I'd look that up.

I kept waiting for Tom to say "secretly, I've been a Pfish fan all along & I'm quitting The Best Show in order to tour with the band. Really. No, I'm not kidding." Then we get an hour of Harris trying to get him to drop the bit but he won't.

• Like 1

Who's got my gaba-gooballs? Extra salami please!

Another noble effort by Harris. He seemed to make some headway with Tom about halfway through but then lost it at the end. Can the next episode include a studio song? Everyone says Phish is a band much better live but I think a polished recording would have a more positive reception with the guests and not sound so bootleggy.

And Tom had a great point about The Suite Life of Zack and Cody (it's about time that show got taken to task) being the funniest show ever when you isolate clips from it, which is why that game of him picking the moment in a song to start is such a great idea. I'm no Phish fan but his chosen segments sounded on par with Harris' pre-selections.

Was there a podcast from the concert which PFT attended, and which Howard Kremer bailed last minute?

• Like 2

Thanks Harris. I never knew Miles Davis' main influences were Beethoven and Voodoo.

• Like 5

Was there a podcast from the concert which PFT attended, and which Howard Kremer bailed last minute?

It hasn't been released. Harris said Scott was working on editing it at the begining on this episode.

This was amazing.

"Guitar Center Rock" !

Harris' claim that Miles Davis is "a terrible version of Phish" is just... I think the real problem in the end is that Harris has...shall I say, questionable taste? ;)

If you like improvisational music with elements of prog, jazz, & funk, (which could describe both 70's Miles and also Phish), and you LOVE Phish while actively *disliking* the real classic 70's fusion stuff, its just a case of poor taste methinks!

I'd love to hear a version of the show where someone (like a DJ w/ legit music knowledge -- Scharpling fits the bill) tries to convince Harris that Phish actually aren't so great, by playing him better music, like actually respectable prog, 70's fusion records, etc :D

• Like 3