🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 76 — Fair Game

Modern Family’s Danny Zuker joins Paul, June, and Jason to figure out how Cindy Crawford was given a starring role in 1995’s Fair Game. They’ll discuss the absurdity of someone having a pizza account, Cindy Crawford being awful at seducing a super nerd, and what exactly the film’s title refers to. Be sure to get tickets for Paul’s Christmas Spectacular and a LIVE Holiday edition of How Did This Get Made? (2nd LATE show added) at Largo in Los Angeles on December 12th & 13th!

"This movie stars Cindy Crawford, so you know what that means..." the joy they all had in making this one is so contagious.

• Like 9

I went online to look up the explosion video and instead found a local newspaper article about its filming. (right down the street from where I am now) Knowing where the industry here is now, it’s sad to read.

Production crews for the Cindy Crawford-William Baldwin film Fair Game used explosives to blow up a facade built along a top-floor apartment at Cassandra Manor on the Isle of Venice....

Fort Lauderdale is host to 11 different film, video and catalog crews, including Robert Redford, Pfeiffer and the rest of the production of Up Close and Personal, a movie on the life of TV newswoman Jessica Savitch....

Take Pier 66, for example. If this new Aaron Spelling television show proves successful - and he's the guy behind Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place - viewers across the country will soon see every scenic inch of Broward County.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1995-03-24/news/9503230718_1_film-office-las-olas-boulevard-county-s-film

Wait a second...that would have been a good movie if it was Stallone and Geena Davis was in this. Geena Davis was coming off of A Kiss Before Midnight and she was REAL good in that. Maybe all of those actresses turned this down because of the braless running?

I literally SCREAMED in my car this morning when I saw that Danny Zuker was the guest. I don't watch Modern Family, but he has one of the best Twitter feeds out there.

• Like 1

Also, I believe those other scenes that Crawford shot were of her rubbing her breasts while reciting Hamlet. That way the studio execs know that she's down to be sexy but also dedicated to the craft of acting.

The makers of this film: "We know we made a pile of garbage. Go ahead, make fun of it... it's fair game."

(That's how the film got its title). :)

• Like 3

Maybe all of those actresses turned this down because of the braless running?

Her tits were the actual star of this movie - they were EVERYWHERE

So, HDTGM have now covered two movies based on the same book. That's right: Cobra and Fair Game are based on the same novel -- Apparently. Yeah, I don't know how that works, either.

• Like 4

I think the title comes from the "game" not being fair, since the villains know everything the good guys are doing and have an unfair advantage.

For my correction for this episode when Jason said that Sea of Love had Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin in it, he was really close. That movie had Al Pacino in it instead, so he mistook it for The Big Easy.

Pretty sure it's called Fair Game because the lead female was being played by the biggest supermodel on Earth at the time, and judging from the list of actresses that turned it down I think that's what they were going for. A terrible pun befitting this piece of garbage. Great episode.

A Kiss Before Midnight? Is that a joke I don't get, or have you confused a dating sim with The Long Kiss Goodnight?

• Like 1

June, I'm pretty sure it's "reason for the Me-son", not "reason for the season". But, good use of the phrase regardless!

The title is an appalling pun based on a common expression. She's beautiful - "FAIR" - and being hunted - "GAME."

I suspect there's a certain type of writer out there that starts with a book of English idioms, picks a title, and works the plot backward from possible double meanings. ("Okay, 'Heavy Duty' - so... it's a fat dude who gets picked to be in the jury for a murder trial! Now THAT'S a movie!")

• Like 4

So, HDTGM have now covered two movies based on the same book. That's right: Cobra and Fair Game are based on the same novel -- Apparently. Yeah, I don't know how that works, either.

Has anyone actually read this book? I just flipped through a couple reviews. People that mention the adaptations say that Cobra was WAY off (shocking), and even Fair Game wasn't that faithful to the source material. Very curious if a decent book can spawn two horrendous movies.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a season long arc on NTSF:SD:SUV that recreates this movie shot for shot (a'la Arsheerio Paul Show/Greatest Event in TV History). It's a perfect parody of itself.

• Like 2

I'd like to think that the title discussion went on even longer, so long that it required that commercial break

So, did both Stallone and Julianne Moore turn this down to do "Assassins"? They came out a month apart, so I imagine they would have been filming around the same time. Joel Silver was a producer on both, and they were both released by Warner Brothers. Hmmmm.

Best part of the entire episode....

June's Laughter

My word, I was laughing as hard as June was hearing her truly enjoy the shit out of this episode.

• Like 3

Has anyone actually read this book? I just flipped through a couple reviews. People that mention the adaptations say that Cobra was WAY off (shocking), and even Fair Game wasn't that faithful to the source material. Very curious if a decent book can spawn two horrendous movies.

Here's a question for the writers on here: if you are that author, do you give two shits that there were two very bad movies that "used" your book as source material and just cash the check....or do you lobby studios/production companies to get a movie that faithfully follows the book (well, as much as a movie can)?

Edited by Shariq Torres

Sign in to follow this