🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 67 — Baby Donut

In addition to being the lead singer of several punk rock groups including Bratmobile and Partyline, Allison Wolfe is one of the pioneers of the underground feminist punk rock movement known as Riot grrrl. She joins Jake to discuss what is was like to be a central figure in the Riot grrrl movement, how the first disbandment of Bratmobile lead to the formation of Cold Cold Hearts, the later reformation of Bratmobile, and the birth of Partyline. As always, check out all the videos over at youtube.com/TheFogelnestFiles!

• Like 4

This episode is so great! Riot grrl was hugely influential to me growing up, even though it was a few years later, so this turned my dreary Thursday morning into a ball of joy and sunshine. Thanks for bringing Allison on, Jake!

• Like 1

Jake, you are killing it with the amazing guests lately. I was fortunate enough to have lived in Olympia during the tail end of the 1990s and got to see a bunch of great bands. Bratmobile shows were some of the most fun I ever had. I think the last time I saw them was at YoYo-A-GoGo in 2001 or so. People toss around the riot grrrl label now without really caring to understand how big of a deal it was or how complicated the movement actually was.

The legacy lives on:

riotgirl_pac.jpg1NiP3Bp.jpg

• Like 5

Glad to hear that Jake's "woof" pronunciation extends beyond the name of this website. ;)

Really good episode!

• Like 2

Jake is straight killing the (rock) archival footage game. I bet he could make a pretty decent documentary.

I have to say I really enjoyed this episode, after listening to it again to pick up some of the names and dates as the initial listening went a bit quick for me. Unfortunately the Riot Grrrl scene didn't explode here in Los Angeles during the 90s. Here it was the emergence of Alt rock, a still hardcore ska crowd (which I was proudly part of), and little factions of hard rock, rap and R&B. Me listening to Riot Grrrl music and trying to get people to listen was impossible, yet I could anyone to listen to Twee rock .

Having Alison Wolfe on was a great get. Hearing all these LPs which I had (sadly I needed to make rent and sold quite a bit) was a nice blast of fresh air and a little flashback I needed to hear on Thursday. The guests have been truly an amazing variety of awesomeness.

I'm on pins and needles for the next amazing guest!

-R

Sign in to follow this