🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Gabe Danon

Episode 68 — Good Guys Win: A Tribute To The Best Show

Tom Scharpling will end The Best Show on WFMU on December 17th. Daniel Ralston, co-host of The Low Times Podcast joins Jake to celebrate all things Newbridge.

• Like 4

Jake - Thank you so much for this episode. Although I am all 7+ minutes into the episode, it is one of the many cathartic experiences that I need to cope with the fact that 'The Best Show' will eminently be no more. That show has meant and will continue to mean so much to me. Thanks again.

seriously, this is awesome.

I'm still in denial myself, It's been a constant part of my life for 10 years, it's hard to imagine its truely ending

• Like 2

I've bought the albums and listened to most of the Best Show Gems but haven't delved into the Best Show itself... any recommendations on where to start? Specific episodes or eras? I get kind of OCD when it comes to consuming pop culture and it's a daunting task for me...

I've bought the albums and listened to most of the Best Show Gems but haven't delved into the Best Show itself... any recommendations on where to start? Specific episodes or eras? I get kind of OCD when it comes to consuming pop culture and it's a daunting task for me...

You know, I think starting at the beginning of a year might be fun. Like start with January 2013 and listen to all of the shows from the last year. I can see the OCD person in you wanting to start with episode 1! and you've got 500+ episodes to go through, but "The Best Show" isn't "Twin Peaks." You can pick up wherever and just listen! Go through the archive, read some descriptions and just click on the show! Don't be intimidated by the inside jokes or the sheer number of broadcasts. Tom is a broadcaster and he is ALWAYS thinking of the new listener.

And I'll say this... if a new venture presents itself in the future to start fresh from the beginning... DO IT.

• Like 4

And I'll say this... if a new venture presents itself in the future to start fresh from the beginning... DO IT.

Are you hinting at something, Jake? Please god be hinting at something Jake!

This was an ABSOLUTE JOY to listen to. Nothing, entertainment-wise, has meant more to me in the last decade than the Best Show. Not only has the show been so, so, so funny to me but it introduced me to so many more funny and talented people. Also, it kind of also introduced me to podcasting... Sorry Tom.

I'll forever be in debt to Tom, Jon, & Mike.

The Best Show: Some will burn, all will pay!

Oh, and thanks Jake and Daniel for doing a MORE than fitting tribute.

Why do people talk about someone knowing a lot about music as if it makes them smart or interesting

I'm tearing up just from reading the title, haven't even listened to the episode yet. Tears were definitely flowing during Ted and Aimee's song last week. I'm so not ready for the end. Maybe the silver lining is Tom will come out to LA more and appear on Earwolf shows more often. A man can dream...

• Like 1

Why do people talk about someone knowing a lot about music as if it makes them smart or interesting

HEAVE HO.

DEATHMAN, you can now only READ this message board and not post. GET OFF MY BOARD.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 9

I'm tearing up just from reading the title, haven't even listened to the episode yet. Tears were definitely flowing during Ted and Aimee's song last week. I'm so not ready for the end. Maybe the silver lining is Tom will come out to LA more and appear on Earwolf shows more often. A man can dream...

Tom in Lipstick City? The world isn't ready.

I started by listening to episodes with guests that I like. The Patton, Paul F. Tompkins, Aimee Mann, Ted Leo, John Hodman episodes are always amazing. I'd say start with one featuring someone you like and go from there

• Like 1

You are insulting Vance the Puppet, who LIVES to listen to Prog rock music and talk about it. Vance the Puppet says SHUT UP Deathman. He's gonna get his roommate Gary to bop you on the NOSE. #ProgIsGoodForYourHead

http://wfmu.org/flashplayer.php?version=2&show=43531&archive=75057&starttime=2:27:30

• Like 1

Seriously, the shout out that Tom gave Paul F. Tompkins legitimately was beautiful. Two true geniuses.

• Like 2

Seriously, the shout out that Tom gave Paul F. Tompkins legitimately was beautiful. Two true geniuses.

class act

I went to a Best Show listening party in Toronto at The Royal Cinema. Before the show we had a band do covers of "Rock and Roll Dreams'll Come Through" and "Porcupine Pie" (Billy Joel/Led Zeppelin remix), we had someone do a dramatic reading from "Weirdos Exposed," we had trailers for "My Bodyguard," "Hider in the House," "Smokey & the Bandit 2," "Class of '84" and "Deathwish 3."

Damien from Fucked Up, Nick Flanagan and Emma from Toronto said a few words before the show. Then we all sat down in complete silence and laughed hysterically for 2 and half hours. As soon as the montage ended everyone was in tears. It was the most beautiful thing to be apart of.

• Like 2