🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 78 — Crossroads

It’s not a music video and not yet a movie. Jeff Rubin of The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss Britney Spears in 2002’s Crossroads. They talk about why you shouldn’t judge the movie from the poster, the many similarities to Adventures in Babysitting, the heavy secrets montage, and the very dark ending. Plus, Paul gives everyone a Pop Quiz that features some insane trivia!

Though many will focus on the burgeoning sexuality, I think the real romantic tension of the film is between the murderer and his automobile. I'm glad that they touched on that in the podcast.

Thanks june the opening for adventures in babysitting is the best..it definitely was life changing..this movie was garbage..really good ep

"This is a person who is capable of murder...Why are you here? get the fuck outta my house.. I love my boys.. I love my life, you can eat shit Im Samantha!" thank you jason

too many great parts

I think the reason that there's no big singing number in the movie is that Britney Spears doesn't have a good voice. Isn't she always singing to a backing track/getting autotuned because she sounds pretty bad otherwise?

Speaking to some of the misogyny in this movie, one line that really upset me came from Ben when they were in the hotel after the karaoke bar fight with the guy who was trying to finger blast Brit Brit. I don't remember the dialogue exactly, but Ben told Britney "I'm not mad at you for what happened back there." What? Of course not! She was on the express train to sexual assault by a stranger, in what world would Ben have had reason to be mad at her for trying to save her from this pervo?

And one other thing, the road trip seemed to go on for ages, and at the beginning of the movie someone (I think Mimi) said they had to be in LA by Friday or Sunday or some day who cares. But when they're there and at the record place and signing up for the competition, the guy in charge of sign ups says the contest is in 6 days. They got to LA 6 days early for the competition?!

I think the reason that there's no big singing number in the movie is that Britney Spears doesn't have a good voice. Isn't she always singing to a backing track/getting autotuned because she sounds pretty bad otherwise?

All of those technologies are also available to moviemakers, so I don't think that's the reason.

I wonder if it wasn't Brit's decision, given her 'story by' credit and how seriously she seemed to take this. Like she considered this her gateway to being an actress so she didn't want it to be about her singing. Otherwise, I think her producers/managers would have picked a much lighter story and definitely would have crammed in a few songs.

• Like 2

I wonder if it wasn't Brit's decision, given her 'story by' credit and how seriously she seemed to take this. Like she considered this her gateway to being an actress so she didn't want it to be about her singing. Otherwise, I think her producers/managers would have picked a much lighter story and definitely would have crammed in a few songs.

Has this ever worked for any pop star? The only musician I can think of off the top of my head who has a halfway decent acting career is Kris Kristofferson. It's pretty much the same situation when the reverse occurs -- actors trying to be musicians or singers (see: Lindsey Lohan, Eddie Murphy, Scarlett Johnansson, etc etc).

I guess the biggest contemporary pop singer/actor would be Jennifer Lopez, but she hasn't had a huge amount of success at the former (at least in this country, I believe) and she's not a great actress either.

• Like 1

Honestly, though? Brit Brit is not terrible in this. I mean, I'm not saying give her an Oscar, but I thought she comported herself pretty well.

disappointed that creed wasnt actually in the studio and it was just jason mimicking scott stapp :(

• Like 1

The only musician I can think of off the top of my head who has a halfway decent acting career is Kris Kristofferson.

this is a fun game and my contribution is that jason schwartzmann was the drummer for phantom planet when they recorded the guest which had california on it tho he left the band before that song blew up

For my omission, the girls were singing *NSYNC's "Bye Bye Bye" while Anson Mount tries to change the station in his car. This movie was made while Britney Spears was still dating Justin Timberlake at the time, and they immediately broke up after it came out. This is just a reminder.

• Like 2

Hey, I know this movie! Sethro Matelli is in this movie!

Highlights:

- Characterization of Taryn Manning casting goal as "a slightly more drugged out Bijou Phillips"

- Jason's description of the mother as "a horrible, horrible monster person"

- "I tricked you. They're all true."

June not in the pictures again. Is she phoning-in using isdn robin quivers style. i feel like a weirdo for noticing this, but i do tend to check the episode pictures, because they're usually nice shots.

Has this ever worked for any pop star? The only musician I can think of off the top of my head who has a halfway decent acting career is Kris Kristofferson.

Art Garfunkel is a surprisingly good actor (Carnal Knowledge & Bad Timing are great). There's Tom Waits (Dracula, Mystery Men). Mick Jagger started pretty strong (Performance, which has a little bit of singing). Oh, and Frank Sinatra, Ricky Nelson & Barbra Streisand (She's legitimately great in What's Up, Doc). Insofar as longevity and not counting quality, Elvis Presley. Who's that Girl implied Madonna could do dramatic work; the rest of her acting career indicated otherwise. And holy guacamole, David Bowie in The Hunger & The Man Who Fell to Earth.

But probably the best example of playing up acting instead of singing in a movie role "working for a pop star" is the dude from the early 90s who sang "Good Vibrations" and somehow parlayed the name Marky Mark into becoming a movie star.

• Like 2

Can we also talk about the insane amount of money they made in tips from the karaoke contest?

yUji5b5.png

Who on Earth would tip a whole $10 for an okay karaoke performance?

• Like 5

Art Garfunkel is a surprisingly good actor (Carnal Knowledge & Bad Timing are great). There's Tom Waits (Dracula, Mystery Men). Mick Jagger started pretty strong (Performance, which has a little bit of singing). Oh, and Frank Sinatra, Ricky Nelson & Barbra Streisand (She's legitimately great in What's Up, Doc). Insofar as longevity and not counting quality, Elvis Presley. Who's that Girl implied Madonna could do dramatic work; the rest of her acting career indicated otherwise. And holy guacamole, David Bowie in The Hunger & The Man Who Fell to Earth.

But probably the best example of playing up acting instead of singing in a movie role "working for a pop star" is the dude from the early 90s who sang "Good Vibrations" and somehow parlayed the name Marky Mark into becoming a movie star.

While not quite as successful as an actor, Mark Wahlberg's brother Donnie has done alright for himself, too.

June not in the pictures again. Is she phoning-in using isdn robin quivers style. i feel like a weirdo for noticing this, but i do tend to check the episode pictures, because they're usually nice shots.

She was definitely there live, because they've had people phone/Skype in before and it's nowhere near that good quality. I noticed that she was missing, too. My best guess is that she's undergoing some sort of physical transformation in preparation for her lead role in Nundercover, and doesn't want to spoil it before the first publicity stills are released.

There's a clear correlation between the quality (and quantity) of photos and which Earwolf engineer presided over the episode. Some days, you get a Brett or a Frank (RIP Dirt Cup) behind the lens. Some days, you get Ramhanded.

• Like 2

But that doesn't explain why the main posed photo of the hosts and guests would be missing someone.

Sign in to follow this