🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 69 — what.

Bo Burnham is a very funny standup/writer who you may know from the internet and he just released his new special “

” absolutely for free on YouTube & Netflix. Bo joins Jake to discuss growing up as a theatre nerd, the process of developing his MTV show “Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous,” and his fascination with para-social relationships. They also check out the genius of Tom Lehrer, Bill Cosby covering “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” and “Weird Al” Yankovic’s television debut on The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder. As always, check out all the videos over atyoutube.com/TheFogelnestFiles! If you’re listening to this on Thursday December 19th, tune in for a LIVE VPN edition of THE FOGELNEST FILES with special guest MOBY at 6pm PST/9pm EST over at youtube.com/Earwolf!
  • Like 6

That first picture is both the tiniest I've ever seen Jake appear and the largest Bo has ever been

• Like 2

Nice Best Show shirt, Jake! Yesterday, Rebecca Cole from Wild Flag shared a picture of her chest wearing the very same T, and she called it her prized possession. Can you explain the Newbridge reference to me? Maybe point me towards an episode from their archives? Did you know Tom Scharpling directed her group's "Romance" music video? Fogelnest Files is a great podcast, especially the Kim Fowley one! Thank you.

Bo is such a good guest he's one of my favorites..this ep was everything I hoped it would be so thank you!!

Nice Best Show shirt, Jake! Yesterday, Rebecca Cole from Wild Flag shared a picture of her chest wearing the very same T, and she called it her prized possession. Can you explain the Newbridge reference to me? Maybe point me towards an episode from their archives? Did you know Tom Scharpling directed her group's "Romance" music video? Fogelnest Files is a great podcast, especially the Kim Fowley one! Thank you.

Newbridge is the fictional town in New Jersey that Jon Wurster's characters (for the most part) are from.

Newbridge is the fictional town in New Jersey that Jon Wurster's characters (for the most part) are from.

When I first started listening to the Best Show, circa 2006, I thought Newbridge was a real place. I started catching on 3 or 4 episodes in. I was a #sucker

Downloading now ... what are "para-social relationships"? That sounds gross. But I shall listen nevetheless, because this is the FILES and I am a Files 'phile.

KEEP ON FILING!! (That's something that all the cool kids are saying now).

• Like 2

Tom Snyder ... holy fucking shit, Tom Snyder. Look at the beginning of that Weird Al video. He's talking about how Al's first hit was a parody of "a song originally done by a band called 'the Knacks' and that song was called 'My Sharoma' " ... I mean good lord, he somehow managed to fuck up the band name AND the song title! Snyder had some amazing things on his show, but I think he was also one of the most awkward broadcasters of all time. Sometimes I wonder how he managed to get on television at all.

Jake, could I request that you do an episode devoted to Snyder? Maybe have a panel of Snyder-appreciators? I know there's already some DVD compilations of Snyder musical guests and stuff, but with your curatorial instincts I bet you could come up with some interesting stuff. Just a thought ...

• Like 1

When I first started listening to the Best Show, circa 2006, I thought Newbridge was a real place. I started catching on 3 or 4 episodes in. I was a #sucker

I made the same mistake

• Like 1

Jake saying Paul Scheer had a normal childhood and normal parents, clearly someone hasn't listened to his episode of WTF, cause that shit was bonkers.

Who are these people who say "gif" should be pronounced like the peanut butter? That's stupid. I'm with Bo and Jake. Team Hard G!!

I say it jif, I also say meme like mehm, I am very good at internet

• Like 1

I have no interest in starting a website, but I almost want to sign up for SquareSpace just so I can use OFFER CODE BARKSY. On a related note, if anyone does start a SquareSpace shop with some cool Barksy merch, I will absolutely buy something.

Jake, I'm glad you let the cat out of the bag about this being recorded last week, otherwise I would have been crushed that you went with #FogelFans instead of #Fogelnestphiles.

Tom Snyder ... holy fucking shit, Tom Snyder. Look at the beginning of that Weird Al video. He's talking about how Al's first hit was a parody of "a song originally done by a band called 'the Knacks' and that song was called 'My Sharoma' " ... I mean good lord, he somehow managed to fuck up the band name AND the song title! Snyder had some amazing things on his show, but I think he was also one of the most awkward broadcasters of all time. Sometimes I wonder how he managed to get on television at all.

Jake, could I request that you do an episode devoted to Snyder? Maybe have a panel of Snyder-appreciators? I know there's already some DVD compilations of Snyder musical guests and stuff, but with your curatorial instincts I bet you could come up with some interesting stuff. Just a thought ...

That Weird Al performance is so great because it shows Mr. Yankovic basically tearing shit up on an accordion like he was Rob Halford or Andrew WK or something (both of whom are fantastic); just fucking ferocious. I'm dead serious. I love Weird Al forever. Tom Snyder really outs himself as a worthless pile of human garbage introducing Weird Al in that way. He's basically saying, "ok, here's a piece of shit, everybody, let's feel good about ourselves as we look down on it." Meanwhile, he can't even bring himself to know who The Knack are. He even talks in a shitty way about a woman who's going to sing a song about astronauts, as if singing about space travel is beneath real musicians (because Elton John and David Bowie are terrible or something?). Fuck him. Space is great, so is the space shuttle.

Even Ed Sullivan had the show-business-good-sense and wherewithal to pretend to be enthusiastic about the musical acts on his show. He may have thought The Beatles were garbage, he may have preferred to watch Frank Gorshin's comedy routine (who performed the same night as The Beatles), but he still introduced the band like he loved the shit out of them. Who wants to watch a network TV host introduce an act he thinks is terrible?

• Like 1

Okay, I was making fun of Tom Snyder, but I don't think he was a garbage person. Granted, he said a lot of dumb stuff, but that kind of made him more interesting than a lot of folks on television. And while he might have been obnoxious to some guests, those were still people who weren't getting on any other shows.

I gotta say, it warms my heart that the discussion of The Best Show has spilled over into this thread too!

Bo seems like a good dude, but Jon Wurster has a copyright on the word "what". and all variants with extened "aaaaaaaa"s or "uuuuuuu"s

Jake saying Paul Scheer had a normal childhood and normal parents, clearly someone hasn't listened to his episode of WTF, cause that shit was bonkers.

His mom threw Paul's Weird Al records in the trash because she thought they were "satanic". EVERYTHING COMES BACK TO WEIRD AL, PEOPLE!!!

(I guess in some quarters, having parents who obsessively worry about the influence of Satan is considered "normal").

• Like 1

His mom threw Paul's Weird Al records in the trash because she thought they were "satanic". EVERYTHING COMES BACK TO WEIRD AL, PEOPLE!!!

(I guess in some quarters, having parents who obsessively worry about the influence of Satan is considered "normal").

Maybe Paul was in possession of "the object" and therefor really was channeling Satan

• Like 2

I love Tom Snyder SO much, but everything Elitist Prick wrote is dead on and it had me laughing out loud!!!

This is exactly why I love Jake and his files so much. I can shit on something he enjoys, but then is able to say that he laughed at it, which is exactly the purpose of the comment in the first place. He gets The Internet and Culture better than almost anyone alive (including me).

I also love The Fogelnest Files for alerting me that Bo Burnham, a comedian I've admired for a few years, has a new special and that it is free. It is outstanding, by the way.

• Like 3

Who are these people who say "gif" should be pronounced like the peanut butter? That's stupid. I'm with Bo and Jake. Team Hard G!!

The guy who invented the gif is one of 'those people.'

I just started the episode and had to pause it to watch the grumpy cat video... I'm geeking out on it, mostly because of the obvious reasons, but also because the Animal Man volume I'm reading is in the background. I took a break to eat lunch and listen to this podcast and WHAM.

"Plate of shrimp."

• Like 1