🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ChristosKirst

Any other good RPG podcasts?

critical hit from major spoilers is the best ive found. some of the characters and the dm and be really, really annoying at first but it gets so fn good and inolved. the scope of the world in it is insane. i cant recommend it enough.

is there a good jumping on point? they're in the 250s for current episodes.

episode 3, lol. sorry, thats all been one ongoing game. it took me like 5 or 6 months to get caught up but there's some rly good shit in there.

Seconding the latter as the way to get caught up on the Harmontown D&D game. Which will make the rules lawyers here weak in the knees.

I don't think Harmontown is really all that crazy with rules, Spencer's a really great DM and does incredibly well at keeping the game moving along with all the craziness, the players maybe be drunk and goofing around and not to concerned with the rules or whatever but Spencer seems really on top of everything, I think he follows the rules pretty well actually. I think having him do all the dice rolls and stuff is more a matter of efficiency and ease of play in that setting. I love the Harmontown D&D it's hilarious and Spencer's creativity and storytelling is top notch, plus all the players are playing it so chaotically it's like having a party full of Gerry's, it's incredible. Also, if there's on thing that party doesn't suffer from that Nerd Poker has yet to conquer is the indecisiveness, their decisions may be wildly miscalculated but they never sit around for an hour hemming and hawing and not doing anything (unless Dan's really drunk, but at least that's funny)

I don't mean that to be a diss on NP either, I just think they could really benefit a little from, pardon the expression, rolling the dice a little more on their decisions. All the best episode moments are when someone does something without thinking to much. for example, if Ken had just kept having Bart cower and hide from the water box instead of just saying fuck it and cracking it open we'd have no Sparklett water adventure, if Blaine didn't just fly off to find the skiff without consulting anyone they all would've probably crashed into the sun, and shit if Brian hadn't chopped a dude or Gerry hadn't lit the bar on fire we'd probably still be watching Houg do magic with even less of an adventure happening.

• Like 3

If anyone is looking for a new RPG podcast to try, check out "Dice Junkies"! Its an amateur pathfinder RPG podcast. 3-4 new episodes per month. All the players are fans of nerd poker and while listening to the show, were inspired to make our own show. So while you wait for the next nerd poker podcast to drop, give Dice Junkies a shot!

http://tindeck.com/users/Fallinfor

Crit Juice is a good gameplay pod. These are improv comedians/actors (very small time I assume, no offense to any of them) who have incorporated drinking rules into their 4e game. http://www.critjuice.com/

Hammerbeard, I took your suggestion and checked out CritJuice. They are friggin' hilarious, and the storyline and gameplay is way more coherent and fluid than on Nerd Poker (although the shows are meant to be different). Also the incorporation of drinking really kicks things up a notch (although it's been hard not drinking along with them). My only complaint about this podcast is they only post once or twice a month--not nearly often enough.

Not a running thing yet, but the humorous advice show My Brother, My Brother, and Me ran a special episode where they played D+D 5th, and have made noises about turning it into a recurring thing. The episode can be found here:

The Adventure Zone

Takes a bit to get underway (but certainly no more than the average Nerd Poker) but OK play and super funny. Hoping they can find a way to make this at least a monthly thing.

Note: This is technically an episode of a show with a back catalog of over 200 eps, so if everyone laughs and you don't think you heard a joke, it's probably a running gag, just pretend you got it so nobody is the wiser.

• Like 2

Seeing this thread has some new hits I just have to repost;

Troll the Dice

www.trollthedice.com or just search iTuneThis has become my fave podcast. Hilarious, often drunken, D&D. U

Unfortunately you can only get the most episodes on iTunes so you'll have to hit their site for the beginning of the campaign.

Though they just started a 2nd game running the adventure from the new 5th edition Starter Set.

If anyone is looking for a D&D Podcast with a bit of a different feel, we just started podcasting our live-on-stage D&D show Knights of the Arcade. We're on iTunes and at www.knightsofthearcade.com

We play a slightly simplified version of the game (just to speed it up and make it engaging for a live audience) and our DM improvs the quests based on audience suggestions, but we really try to recreate the atmosphere of a bunch of friends in a basement playing the game, except we're all comedians and there are 100 people watching us do it. And we have special guests, Spencer from Harmontown just came out and did a few shows with us.

Anyway, if you like it let us know, and if you don't, I sincerely apologize for wasting your time.

{Bluff check: 4} Ok it's not that sincere, but still, sorry.

That STS D&D podcast is goddamn hilarious and the DM is awesome for a noob. Good roleplaying and the most important thing, good audio quality. D&D podcasts with one microphone in the middle of a table ruin it for me.

Everyone keeps telling me 4e is awful, but I have been rather enjoying it. Most of my players are boardgamers or video gamers, so they seem to like that part of 4e. I plan to try out the new D&D version that is coming out this summer. I hear it feels more "old school".

Gamers have this weird tribalistic thing where they have to shit on versions of D&D that they don't play, rather than just accepting that other people DO enjoy it.

Games are strictly for entertainment. If you and yours have fun with 4E, 5E, Dungeon World, Cards Against Humanity, whatever then more power to you.

Gamers have this weird tribalistic thing where they have to shit on versions of D&D that they don't play, rather than just accepting that other people DO enjoy it.

Oh shit yes. The Edition Wars between 3.x/Pathfinder and 4 were especially vicious.

A good 'actual play' podcast is Beer and Battle. They are not comedians but have some funny moments. The DM is top notch when it comes to descriptions. I highly recommend this podcast.

Also, if you're hungry for more Call of Cthulhu action, there's Miskatonic University Podcast, where they play the original Chaosium rules. They go over sort of the whole RP experience, from character creation, to GM tips, and then Actual Play. Personally, it's not my cup of tea but they gave my podcast a shoutout, and I figure I should return the favor. They're at mu-podcast.com

I like CoC actual play because story typically flows a lot more smoothly in that game as compared to DnD, which can stall for the listener if something like extended combat takes place.

A very good MU Actual Play to listen to is the Ilsley Variant, especially if you're new to the game and want to get an introduction to character generation and and example of how to play, run, and pace a CoC game. The Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign they got running now is fun too, although a little more gonzo than Ilsley is.

Another D&D style podcast that I listen to is from nerdyshow.com where they feature Dungeons and Doritos.

The first half dozen episodes are a little tough as they were figuring out some recording techniques and the style of show they wanted to deliver, but I still enjoy them. By the time they hit what they call Book 2 (kinda like season 2) the show has gotten to a proper radio drama quality of show.

OK, mentioned it before when it was a one-off, but Adventure Zone is now a regular semiweekly show, and it is off the hook. It's three brothers (hosts of the hilarious My Brother, My Brother and Me) with their father (who has been a charming and funny surprise) playing comic-relief-heavy D&D 5e. Great play, pretty good storytelling (and they've come right out and said that they started with a canned adventure just to get the show up to speed while they figure out the new edition, and that they will be turning to more interesting homemade adventures as soon as that runs out), and goofs off the chart (I think the best/worst so far is "Let's make this bugbear... a HUG-bear" -- and you're just going to have to listen to get the context). It's quickly becoming my most anticipated podcast every other Thursday.

• Like 4

Okay, I'm looking for some actual play podcasts that don't involve drinking. I'm a recovering alcoholic, so I really don't need to hear other people drinking, which rules out things like CritJuice (which was a shame because it was pretty good). Also, I don't want to have to go through a massive back catalog if I can help it, so new shows are better.

I'm deep into planning for my own D&D podcast (sorry, but it'll be single-mike to start with because I have no money), and I really want to get a feel for what's out there. Any suggestions?

If you don't have any recovering alcoholic issues to deal with "CritJuice" is awesome:

http://www.critjuice.com/

If you're looking for a DnD Podcast completely planned out, with Season arcs and which takes you from a DnD Beginner to Advanced over 250+ episodes, then "Critical Hit" is exactly what you need to be listening to:

http://majorspoilers.com/critical-hit/

But I'm saving the best for last. The one which has left me rolling on the floor laughing to the point where it hurt my stomach. Where I had to pause the podcast, sometimes multiple times within just a few minutes is "D&D With STS":

https://www.youtube.com/user/ShootingTheShit/featured

It's a shame they don't produce them more frequently, but they're so well produced and hilarious that I'll take what I can get! :D

• Like 1

The Adventure Zone is awesome. They only release a new episode every two weeks, but they're only 6 episodes in as of now and just wrapped up the 5E starter set Lost Mines of Phandelver, about to launch into a homemade campaign. It's 3 brothers and their father, and they're all funny as hell and roleplay the hell out of their characters in hilarious ways.

As for D&D With STS, I have been loving that show and their other podcasts/youtube reviews since it was first mentioned on this thread! They are literally laugh out loud funny to me, and the DM Boss does a great job progressing his story along. Five fuckin' stars.

• Like 3

I've picked up Party Roll, chich has 6 episodes so far. They're running the Lost Mine of Phandelver campaign - in fact, they started partway into it - so it's interesting to see how differently they do it from the way I ran it with my group. It's not bad.

I'm also listening to the Adventure Zone, who started off playing LMoP, but went way off into their own story. They're pretty fantastic as well.

I'd love to get into Critical Hit, but the back catalog is extremely daunting.

• Like 1

Harmontown is always great, and they've just started a Shadowrun campaign. The last two episodes have just been them rolling up and describing their characters and their motivations. There's also a really funny bit where David Cross writes an impromptu country song about what "shadow run" means… I love this show because it's comedy, D&D, and Harmon frequently attempting to get deep into social issues (and usually making a mess of things in a really endearing way).

The Adventure Zone is great… v funny dynamic there.

Crit Juice killing it as always (Never Tell Me the Odds, its Star Wars sister podcast, is pretty good, too, but Crit Juice is the best).

• Like 1

I'll throw in my 2 cents' worth and give The Adventure Zone a hearty recommendation. It reminds me of early Nerd Poker, where the focus was on the actual game and the goofing off didn't completely derail the story. As an added plus, they're only 6 eps in so it's a piece of cake to get caught up.

• Like 3