🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 80.5 — Minisode 80.5

Once again we’re watching a movie based on a video game next week with the greatly overlooked 1995 film MORTAL KOMBAT. Paul is amazed by a listener’s confession as he goes through some Corrections & Omissions for last week’s movie Jack Frost and describes what the dopest sandwich you can ever eat is while giving As to your Qs. People of Los Angeles, make sure to get tickets for a LIVE How Did This Get Made? on Friday, March 14th at Largo! Get tickets at www.largo-la.com

• Like 1

Fuck yeah this movie was a huge success. This is one of the few movies this show has done that I can proudly say that went to see at the theater when it came out. And I THINK I loved every second of it. This was at a time when Mortal Kombat was the shit. MK3 was destroying arcades everywhere, everything was an "-ality"... fatality, babality, anamality, friendality, etc. There was no way this movie could have ever disappointed 13 year old me.

Especially with Dat Theme. I am at work at 5 am, one of the few people here rocking this song, and its better than coffee and cocaine.

• Like 4

Paul, I love you like my sons brother, but the Rock's legs being bigger than an average persons neck is sort of the standard arrangement for a human being. I now fear Paul has some sort of terrible thyroid situation that has vastly inflamed his neck, and he's such a delight his friends can't bear to tell him of his freakish proportions.

Also: Boneless buffalo wing sandwich's are no mans joy. I blame the aforementioned gland disorder.

Love the podcast, you seem like a legitimately excellent person, but I had to drop the hammer here.

• Like 3

Now my fingers are crossed that they will cover the horrible sequel after talking about this movie.

• Like 1

I use a program called VLC Media Player while I'm at work to listen to podcasts. I like it because it allows me to control the playback speed and bump things up to 1.5x speed, so it saves me just a bit of listening time but the voices still sound normal.

All of that is just setup so that you can understand why exactly I ended up in wide-eyed terror curled up under my desk when the Mortal Kombat theme song started freaking me the hell out. WARNING! Do not listen to that song using a sped up playback, it will blow your mind!

• Like 2

Got excited when they announced this one. I think it falls in line with the newer Fast and Furious movies and Crank in that it's successful in it's intentions but still crazy enough to talk about.

Though the sequel (and both the live action series and cartoons) that is spawned are much worse, I am glad they went with this one. Not too interested in sitting through the sequel again.

A lot of Paul (not Thomas) Anderson's work would fit in with the podcast for better or worse.

YES!!!

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!

Please let June Diane know that Mortal Kombatants are different from Street Fighters.

• Like 1

lol at the Bubba The Lovesponge shout out because of Hulk Hogan. Hulk Hogan and BTLS don't get along anymore because of Hogan sleeping with Bubba's ex-wife and it being recorded and released to the public (Bubba claims Hogan leaked the footage to try and get another bit of exposure to try and get back in the public's eye). Hogan now has a beach club/restaurant called Hogans Beach Club in Clearwater. COME TO FLORIDA, HOST IT THERE, AND MAKE THIS HAPPEN PAUL!

• Like 1

First we get episodes on Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter... and now Mortal Kombat? Awesome! Does that mean we might also get an episode on any of the shitty Resident Evil movies soon? Let's keep the awful video game -to- movie adaptations coming! :)

• Like 1

YESSSSS. I totally went to see this in the theatres.

Paul, I love you like my sons brother, but the Rock's legs being bigger than an average persons neck is sort of the standard arrangement for a human being. I now fear Paul has some sort of terrible thyroid situation that has vastly inflamed his neck, and he's such a delight his friends can't bear to tell him of his freakish proportions.

Also: Boneless buffalo wing sandwich's are no mans joy. I blame the aforementioned gland disorder.

Love the podcast, you seem like a legitimately excellent person, but I had to drop the hammer here.

He probably meant to flip neck and leg around.

• Like 2

I use a program called VLC Media Player while I'm at work to listen to podcasts. I like it because it allows me to control the playback speed and bump things up to 1.5x speed... the Mortal Kombat theme song started freaking me the hell out. WARNING! Do not listen to that song using a sped up playback, it will blow your mind!

Yeah, I use 1.5x which enables me to be an even bigger podnerd.

Music sounds weird as hell on 1.5x, I thought the same thing this morning, WTF.

• Like 1

My theory: Paul, who admitted to being a comic book guy, learned everything he knows about human anatomy from Rob Liefeld. When I get home, I am SO posting some Liefeld shit...

• Like 4

Yeah, I use 1.5x which enables me to be an even bigger podnerd.

Speaking of podnerding, do you have certain shows that you listen at regular speed, 1.5x and 2x speeds?

My theory: Paul, who admitted to being a comic book guy, learned everything he knows about human anatomy from Rob Liefeld. When I get home, I am SO posting some Liefeld shit...

also i once saw paul irl and he was wearing like 40 pouches around his thighs and waist

• Like 5

also i once saw paul irl and he was wearing like 40 pouches around his thighs and waist

He also wore giant, in no way practical, metal shoulder pads and always seemed to be standing in a mist or behind tiny hills. I also heard him deliver about three pages of dialog once while simply jumping at an opponent. Jumping from what or where, I don't know, because everything in the background always seems to disappear...

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this