🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 140 — Show Business

There are hugs galore on this week’s episode of Professor Blastoff! Veteran TV/Film Manager, Producer, and Podcaster Barry Katz joins Tig, David, and Kyle to chat about creating comedy consistently, how a comedian will ultimately catch a big break, and why huggable & lovable can almost always help a comedian to crossover to TV and Film. Plus, the gang plays a game of What Did Kyle Forget!

• Like 1

Good gravy! I like it better when Tig, Kyle, and David actually get to talk and make me laugh. Also, where's Aaron? Did the professor take him??

o0of this is like my professor going off on tangents when no one does the assigned work...

• Like 1

It also reminded me of a college lecture! Needless to say I was a college drop-out... So perhaps I lack sufficient intelligence and attention span to hang with this one.

• Like 1

Also, where's Aaron? Did the professor take him??

Maybe he is still on his babymoon?

• Like 2

Wasn't there a big issue with Barry Katz, Jim Breuer, and Dave Chappelle? I could be completely wrong.... There's just something in the way Barry Katz talks which makes me think he's a bit smarmy. I reallllllllly am trying to like this guy, but I'm having biased hearing holes.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure it's nothing, but not even acknowledging Aaron's absence is a little weird.

Barry's voice sounds like Blaine Capatch's commercial voice-over guy.

I liked it, it was something different. A lot of good advice on any level. I get we're jonesing for new Blastoff after the Best of Weeks but this was a good episode. I don't care about comedy politics so I don't know if anyone has beef with him,

There's just something in the way Barry Katz talks which makes me think he's a bit smarmy. I reallllllllly am trying to like this guy, but I'm having biased hearing holes.

I kinda agree. I'm sure he's a great guy and the episode wasn't bad by any means (he had a few interesting stories but this is a conversational podcast not an interview), but I found it fairly self-absorbed of him that at the end of the episode he talked about what a great and memorable time he had when it was basically him talking for an hour straight.

• Like 2

I liked it too, particularly when he was dissecting Kyle's career... I suspect this was taped before the last two episodes because it seems like he has been ruminating on whether he should focus on one thing or not for the past few weeks. Wish he had gotten farther into Huntsberger -- kid's going places!

• Like 1

Yea - there were some pretty interesting bits of advice for those looking to get into the biz. I'm not one of those people, however I still enjoyed listening.

For those who haven't heard the episode yet, or if you're an alcoholic, I dare you to do a Barry Katz Name Drop Drinking Game.

• Like 3

I too was turned off by how casually condescending the guest was, and I felt like even the advice was contradictory and sounded like a motivational speaker trapped in a magic 8-ball, and at times outright contradicted what he'd said minutes before ("If you really want your comedy career to go anywhere, you should be focusing on booking TV gigs like Aziz and not wasting your time on this little podcast thing" followed two breaths later by "if you're not doing exactly what you would be doing if money was no object you're doing it wrong," which by the way is also TERRIBLE career advice). Paused this one about two thirds in at the end of my morning commute today, and not sure I'm going to be listening through to the end....

• Like 2

Although...listening to the beginning again, I guess it was obvious there was going to be a little bit of a disconnect when he said without irony "To me sports metaphors are very valuable" :)

• Like 2

I liked it too, particularly when he was dissecting Kyle's career... I suspect this was taped before the last two episodes because it seems like he has been ruminating on whether he should focus on one thing or not for the past few weeks. Wish he had gotten farther into Huntsberger -- kid's going places!

It was definitely recorded before 139 but after 138. Early in 138, David challenges Kyle to remember a number until the end of the episode. In 140, they mention that they forgot to revisit it at the end. In 139, they also mention this, and mention that it was brought up in "the Barry Katz episode".

I kinda agree. I'm sure he's a great guy and the episode wasn't bad by any means (he had a few interesting stories but this is a conversational podcast not an interview), but I found it fairly self-absorbed of him that at the end of the episode he talked about what a great and memorable time he had when it was basically him talking for an hour straight.

Hate to agree, but... Yeah, I completely agree.

Sign in to follow this