🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 81 — Mortal Kombat

What about the other Street Fighter movie? The Legend of Chun Li.

That one has the advantage of having Liu Kang as the Miagi, its dreadfully boring to watch without the Quiptracks riff for me though. If we're talking interesting to watch completely stupid fighting video game movies full of stupid bonkers idiocy, I think DOA: Dead or Alive wins. (I think it at least easily ties Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.)

I'd say that Highlander is only necessary to do on the show in order to get a better grasp on Highlander 2, which you really need to do.

you talked about the main theme song but you didn't even touch sub-zero's theme 'Chinese Ninja Warrior' its great for the lyrics and I'm pretty sure that ninjas are not from China

Ooh, Chinese Ninja Warrior

With your heart so cold

Sub Zero

Ooh, your life is a mystery

Warrior with a mask

Sub Zero

As this episode was winding down and Paul was rolling through the credits, I look at the time and see that there's still 7 mins left... and I think "Oh no.... they're going to play that damn song again...." Its worse than being rick rolled

• Like 2

It's awful and boring too, but it would probably be a little better than King of Fighters for the podcast because it takes quite a while before the kicking people in the face part starts. Lots and lots of exposition to make fun of in the first part of the movie. Overall, not a great choice either. Unless they really just want to torture June into madness.

I'm not bragging or anything, but my sister named my niece Kitana and my cousin named his son Raiden.

• Like 1

I'd say that Highlander is only necessary to do on the show in order to get a better grasp on Highlander 2, which you really need to do.

Highlander is the movie that proves everyone in Hollywood was off their faces on coke during the 80s.

"So there's this guy *sniff* and he's Scottish, but played by a Frenchman *sniff* and he discovers he's immortal *sniff* and he's told by an Egyptian pretending to be Spanish but played by a real Scotsman *sniff* that there's tons of these immortals guys fighting each other for a prize, but no one knows what it is *sniff* and then it's in the present day as well *sniff* and there are sword fights in parking lots with sparks coming off the swords *sniff* and there's a guy who wears a skull for a hat and he's the bad guy *sniff* and you can only kill them by cutting their heads off *sniff* and the tagline is 'there can be only one.'"

"Shouldn't that be 'there can only be one'?

"What? Say, do you have any quaaludes?"

Highlander should be done, only if we can get a lively discussion about Sean Connery's flawless accents

James Bond - I'm and English shpy!

The Hunt For Red October - I'm a Russian Shubmarine Captain

Highlander - I'm a Shpanish Shwordshman.

• Like 1

PUFFY HAIR

tumblr_mzrzopiJKP1qzx1gjo1_400.gif

• Like 3

Looking at the credits, the Fight Choreographer was Robin Shou, Liu Kang in the movie.

And, to take it further, in MK: Annihalation, Robin Shou's stunt double... Tony Jaa!

• Like 1

Oh man, I'm a little apprehensive about listening to this episode because I love this movie so much. I watch it at least like once a year, haha.

That last review was like Flowers for Algernon, starting from the middle of the book.

Or maybe Flores para Algernon.

• Like 3

PUFFY HAIR

tumblr_mzrzopiJKP1qzx1gjo1_400.gif

This time around I've noticed that Lui Kang's hair gets super puffy during the beach scenes. It's probably because of the humidity. it's also puffy in Outworld, I guess whatever forces Shang Tsung used to destroy Outworld, it had a lot of humidity. What's with the people scurrying around in Outworld? Are they crack fiends?

Yes, I said, "this time around." I've watched this movie countless times since it came out in theaters. It's one of my guilty pleasures and it definitely fits into the Enter the Dragon theme night/weekend (along with Balls of Fury). But this is the only time that I've noticed Lui Kang's extra puffy hair. Mortal Kombat is like fine wine, you get more out of it as it ages. Wait, maybe the analogy should be cheese. The older it gets the more mold you'll notice?

Love this bad movie. Love the soundtrack (no sarcasm). I thought my friend was going to play the theme at his wedding for the first dance. We were so disappointed when Kenny G came on instead of "MORTAL KOMBAT!"

Looking at the credits, the Fight Choreographer was Robin Shou, Liu Kang in the movie.

And, to take it further, in MK: Annihalation, Robin Shou's stunt double... Tony Jaa!

NO WAY!!! Tony Jaa was Robin Shou's stunt double in the sequel???? I need to watch it now just to see Tony Jaa with puffy hair!

Also, Dexter Morgan's father is Raiden.

Highlander is the movie that proves everyone in Hollywood was off their faces on coke during the 80s.

Nah, "Highlander 2" is still the better example. The first one was a total bomb, so someone had to be high to think that spending money on a sequel was a good idea to begin with, and then they took the relatively simple concept of the first one and said "Fuck that noise. Let's ignore everything from the first one and just make Blade Runner". Oh, yeah, and it inspired THIS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhEPNGQ4eGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc44DmupfQE

My God, the mullets and Liefeldian shoulder pads...

I'm not bragging or anything, but my sister named my niece Kitana and my cousin named his son Raiden.

how do you keep from bragging about this literally constantly

This may have been mentioned already in here, but I think that it is pretty unfair that the Mortal Kombat theme got so much notoriety even though the same song was released just 3 years earlier:

• Like 1

Speaking of the soundtrack, Goro's theme was composed by none other than Buckethead.

• Like 1

I know that the "Nundercover" movie idea generated a lot of excitement, but hear me out on "Frogger," a movie based on the video game.

Nicholas Cage is a divorced father of three who is on his way to a custody hearing when his car skids off the road and lands in a magical swamp, where he is turned into a frog. Now he has 88 minutes to hop across town, get kissed by a teenage vampire to return to his human state, and make it to the hearing if he ever wants to see his kids again. Standing in his way is the most notorious underground street racing strip in the city and a mechanical spider. As Cage-Frog hops along on his journey, he gets help from a duck from another planet, a talking gorilla, a sentient snowman, an American Idol winner, and Sandra Bullock. SPOILER ALERT -- As he's about to reach his destination, Cage-Frog is run over by Al Pacino driving a taxi. What a twist--it is the same 88 minutes! M. Night directs. . . . Five Stars!

• Like 2

You know, what I like (and by like, I may mean respect) most about this movie is how it does NOT fuck around even for a second. From second 1, the first thing you hear when watching this is "MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAAAT!!" and that damn song. They know what people want. The very first scene in the movie, Shang Tsung kills a man with his bare hands, in brutal fashion. Then, Sonya and Jax are running through a nightclub with guns, then Johnny Cage is fighting people in an airport hangar (but headfake! its a movie shoot), and all of a sudden they are all shuffled onto a boat and sent to the netherverse. Why? Because fuck you, that's why. Now FIGHT. And fight they do. There is a pretty naked disregard for story and plot developments. I'm okay with that.

As a nerd, I've watched many fighting games try to eek out a story from a foundation that can neither fertilize or grow one (Tekken? Street Fighter? Virtual Fighter? Even my beloved Samurai Shodown and Guilty Gear??). Mortal Kombat's story in the game was equally as atrocious and obnoxious as the movie's, and I am glad that the movie treated it with due (lack of) respect. The only problem is it didn't really have anything else to fall back on. If this movie starred and was choreographed by Jackie Chan and had some real martial artists and stuntmen in it, and was just a wall-to-wall crazy ass brawl with some eye popping stunts (i.e. every jackie chan movie not made by Disney), then this movie could have been truly an amazing replication of a mediocre fighting game.

As it stands now, its a mediocre facsimile of a mediocre fighting game. Which I guess is about all the series could ask for. It should have stopped there, because Annihilation.... oh boy. Boy oh boy.

• Like 2

The guy who played Sub Zero was actually the head Doctor in WWE, you can see him in Beyond The Mat.