🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 334 — The Grammys

The hilarious Guy Branum joins Andrew all this week to answer some racism questions. Today they talk all about the Grammys, the Latin Grammys, and Macklemore. Be sure to call us at (323) 389-RACE to ask if anything is racist.

One thing that kind of irks me about the whole Macklemore situation is that he suddenly got a lot of popularity just because he made a track that explicitly supports the gay community. Suddenly, everyone started going crazy about "that guy who made that one rap song in support of marriage equality!"

But if people actually bothered to listen, Macklemore is nowhere near the first rapper to actually make rap music in support of gays (and no, I'm not talking about Lil B). Murs did it on "Animal Style" in 2011, and the ahk Brother Ali did it on "Tightrope" in 2009. And I'm sure others have done it before that. Seemingly, the only reason why Macklemore gets all the hype is because Ryan Lewis made the beats incredibly poppy to appeal to the mainstream, where no one cares about hip hop outside of the most basic and shallow level.

That's not to say Macklemore is a bad rapper. He's actually fairly good as far as mainstream rappers go. And he does it a little better than a lot of other pop-rappers do. So it's not an issue of race that Macklemore took it over Kendrick (or anybody else, for that matter, since none of the nominated albums were actually that amazing). At least, it's not directly about race. It's about appealing to the mainstream, white, pop-focused sensibilities. But honestly, the Grammys don't care about hip hop, so hip hop shouldn't care about the Grammys.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this