🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 120 — Wild Horses

Lauren Lapkus, Stephanie Allynne, Mary Holland, and Erin Whitehead are all friends, make up the improv group Wild Horses, and have been specially requested for your listening pleasure on this week’s improv4humans with Matt Besser! Join them as they take us to a unique library story time, show us how embarrassing it is to be overly prepared for a phone call to a crush, and describe why cheese is sometimes not for everyone. Make sure to get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/books/the-upright-citizens-brigade-comedy-improvisation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

• Like 1

I don't wanna start a debate, but it IS really cool that there's an all female lineup and I can't wait to listen.

Also, today's Earwolf selection made my brain explode.

• Like 3

I don't wanna start a debate, but it IS really cool that there's an all female lineup and I can't wait to listen.

I'd say another guy in there would be nice, but it is refreshing to have more than one female on this show. Maybe throw Paul Rust in, I think his dynamic with Lauren is great. Nice to see Mary back for a second week in a row.

• Like 1

It's like Lauren is cursed to always mention that thing on this show.

Oh, and this is why I don't want to start a debate on here but Matt, please weigh in on a future episode if you feel the need to because I'd really, sincerely like to hear a good debate: http://www.dailymail...omen-shows.html

The comments on that article made me really sad.. "Women are just not funny" is one of the most upvoted comments..

• Like 2

Just finished this great episode. I really enjoyed hearing them actually talk about themselves for a while, near the middle when Erin brings up the list of questions she wrote for her boyfriend.

• Like 2

Oh, and this is why I don't want to start a debate on here but Matt, please weigh in on a future episode if you feel the need to because I'd really, sincerely like to hear a good debate: http://www.dailymail...omen-shows.html

I don't like the idea of telling people how to limit or produce their comedy, that is not anyone business except their own. There are plenty of funny women out there, that deserves their due, but that does not mean we should interfere with others art.

• Like 1

I feel apprehensive about even posting this since it probably does deserve it's own thread and continuing the discussion is kind of taking away the attention to this podcast which isn't really fair to Matt, the guests, or any of the other individuals involved that worked hard to create this....

That being said that what the BBC is doing will ultimately hurt female comedians more than it will help them. This rule simply requires panel shows to have a female panelist. It's a rule that focuses on quantity and not necessarily quality. There's nothing to stop them from hiring a woman based solely on appearance as a ratings ploy. This could also dilute the market by leading aspiring actresses or people who just want to be on TV to try out for these shows since they HAVE to have a female. Thus you risk having someone that isn't talented simply trying to grab some face time.

Too long;didn't read: Seems more like a gimmick/ploy to grab a larger audience and make more money than it does an attempt to promote equality.

That being said I'm looking forward to giving this show a listen since Lauren is easily one of the funniest HUMANS (see what I did...because the show is called....ahhh forget it) in podcasting/comedy today.

• Like 1

One of the bigger problems is that this comedy panel show format is so prevalent in the UK. They're bland and cheap to make and they aren't even a good format for a lot of comedians, male and female. There's plenty of funny women here, but they don't necessarily shine when trying to come up with jokes on a topical quiz show.

This episode was awesome. I love the all female line up. You know it's good when Brett is cracking up off mic.

Stephanie is always soooooo good. Crystal is now one of my all time favorite characters.

Brett: Women get smegma too.

Lauren: EW. FUCKING SHOWER. Everyone.

• Like 3

Matt Besser, I think you're awesome for accepting Molly's request and getting her on the line. By the way, is she Molly McGabe of Molly's Funds Fighting Lupus?

I think a more interesting question than "are women as funny as men" is "do men and women find their own gender funnier than the other?" I'm a guy and I tend to find the all male improv4humans episodes funnier than the half men/half women episodes. Do you think women find female comedians funnier/more relatable than male comedians? It seems likely, but I don't know.

This episode wasn't one of my favs, but it may be because improv5humans is harder to do than improv4humans. Anyway, I didn't know about Wild Horses before this show. I think I'll check them out live.

i thought this was a funny episode with no regard given to the guests or hosts genitals

• Like 5

Oh man, the shame turn on absolutely killed me.

I've said it before but the built in chemistry of a team as guests always seems to work out well.

• Like 2

To quote the Sklars.... "Bringing the Lady Energy"

This episode was a great Improv4Humans. Any I4H episode, or any Earwolf episode, with Lauren Lapkus is aces! She's in my Top 5 favorite guests on Earwolf podcasts. The last 2 episodes (smegma and human body/puberty) were effing amazing... spat water water all over my computer screen at work with the Smeg Cheese harvesting.

-R

Holy crap. Just amazing from front to back. When Matt kicked off that scene with "Welcome to the cheese shop!" I laughed my whole butt off.

• Like 2

This is the fourth show I've listened to today, which I would normally never do on a weekday, but today's line-up was just too damn good.

Great episode all around.

Favorite line(s) - "Friendly to who?" "The eco."

Favorite scene - Orgy

I think a more interesting question than "are women as funny as men" is "do men and women find their own gender funnier than the other?" I'm a guy and I tend to find the all male improv4humans episodes funnier than the half men/half women episodes. Do you think women find female comedians funnier/more relatable than male comedians? It seems likely, but I don't know.

This episode wasn't one of my favs, but it may be because improv5humans is harder to do than improv4humans. Anyway, I didn't know about Wild Horses before this show. I think I'll check them out live.

5 humans? I've only listened to the first 20 minutes of the episode but I was wondering why one of the guests was indiscernible - it was actually two people. Guess I missed something in the intro. Whoops.

Just finished listening and I'm pretty disappointed...that it ended. The show was terrific. As mentioned earlier it's great to hear a team or at least people with previously established chemistry. A real callback heavy episode as well and as a fan of callbacks I was in heaven.

The list of questions thing was pretty interesting. I had no idea that anyone prepared questions for dates/crushes. Seems like that would create a job interview type vibe that could make for a rather awkward evening. That being said where would you want to dwell followed by "Remember Mr. Wizard?" is an incredible line of questioning.

I don't typically listen to the same episode of a podcast multiple times, but this will be an exception to that rule. And as someone who thought they were up to date with all the disturbing things online I'm proud to say I've never seen smegma and didn't know anything about it until this podcast. After hearing the reactions of all involved, I have no interest to learn more about this particular topic.

This episode is fucking hilarious. I love Sam the comforting robot.

Sign in to follow this