🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 002 — Hail Satan with Chip Gardner

HAIL SATAN.

This is a dream that somehow become reality. Thank you everyone who was involved. This podcast has made grad school officially tolerable.

• Like 1

or the poet laureate of cowboys fighting mummies without him.

Well that was certainly in the cards all along. Also Dalton is the poet laureate of not just cowboys, but the entire west. This covers the Oregon Trail, the Washington Trail, the California Trail, the Nevada Trail, the Texas Trail,

• Like 1

INTERNATIONAL WATERS! Bless you, Matt Gourley.

Another incredible episode. Some serious uncontained public transit laughter from me on "A couple of times, we had the zipper in the mouth of a crocodile."

• Like 1

I noticed in one of the pics the gang is holding what appear to be scripts. Was the gameshow scene scripted? I guess some of it would have to be to get all the sound cues worked out .

Were there any references to Chip being a "side by side"? I don't remember hearing any... Although it was the pilot, maybe chip was saving that nugget for a later episode.

• Like 1

I noticed in one of the pics the gang is holding what appear to be scripts. Was the gameshow scene scripted? I guess some of it would have to be to get all the sound cues worked out .

I think Tip's intros for the games had to be.

What do you guys think Chip's face looks like?

I imagine it's basically like the melted head from Raiders of the Lost Ark, after it's had some time to scab over. I actually got a laugh at the thought of him maybe wearing one of those horrific masks he discussed on CBB while hosting this show.

• Like 1

I HAD to transcribe this amazing back-and-forth just so I could read along while re-listening, and really drink it in:

CLIFF: I'm a woodworker at home, so, uh-

CHIP: What've you built with wood?

CLIFF: Uh, cabinets.

CHIP: Uh huh!

CLIFF: I've been working on my wife's cabinets. heh

CHIP: Is that a euphemism for something?

CLIFF: No! What? No.

CHIP: Please don't tell us you've been 'working on your wife's cabinets.' This is a family show.

GAY: What would that even mean?

CLIFF: No, it's just, the kitchen. We're remodeling the kitch-

CHIP: You tell me, Gay. You ever get your cabinets worked on?

GAY: Excuse me-

CHIP: Have you ever had your cabinets worked on by a gentleman?

GAY: Excuse me?!

CHIP: Are you single? Are you single?

GAY: Yes, I am.

CHIP: Ah ha, you're out there getting your cabinets worked on every weekend, I'll betcha.

GAY: What?

CHIP: Well, I don't know. I'm just guessing. You look like you like to have fun. ANYHOW--

(everyone stifles laughter)

• Like 6

I imagine it's basically like the melted head from Raiders of the Lost Ark, after it's had some time to scab over. I actually got a laugh at the thought of him maybe wearing one of those horrific masks he discussed on CBB while hosting this show.

There was one mask that pumped blood through it wasn't there?

I kind of think of him as more of a fleshier Joseph Merrick with metal plates holding it all together.

I feel like something strangely important is happening with this show. Could we have the first masterpiece of podcasting on our hands here?

In total agreement. This is the best i've ever heard.

Man, this podcast is so ridiculously good. I mean, I expected as much considering just about every Andy Daly-episode of CBB is among my favourites, but damn. I'll have to re-listen to Honorary Mayor of Hollywood now, and when I'm done with that I'll probably have to listen to this episode again too.

On a more seriously endorsement-level comment: I hope hope HOPE that these and the i4h podcasts elevate the fan awareness of the talent that is Sean Conroy. The man is so extremely talented and deserving of ours and the public at large's attention that it is obscene. He is a Titan of improvisational fortitude. Everyone better tune in to his upcoming adult swim show of which he is the head writer (apologies, as I do not know the title, tba soon).

And Billy, too. He always kills it on I4H.

• Like 2

When I was posting here last night, I was more than 3/4ths in the bag, celebrating my birthday. I passed out listening to the episode, and finished it this morning (or so I thought) lying in bed hating life. At work today, I gave the episode a second listen, and MAN OH MAN, I did not realize there was so much delicious death in this episode. Chip Gardner is terrifying. But you know what? Tip is even scarier to me, as he is fine with all the death, and he's not even a Satanist. What is going on with Tip, you guys? YEESH.

Also, regarding the sentiments by some that Mantzoukas was missed on this episode, I offer an alternate take, as I too was thinking about Zouks as well as Aukerman since episode 1 of ADPPP, which is this: I cannot argue that Scott or Jason would not fit in these episodes, as they have largely contributed to these characters. However, Scott and Jason being on ADPPP would feel like a CBB episode, and what I love about ADPPP so far is Daly really getting the opportunity for his characters to spread their wings beyond the hilariously combative improvising that occurs when Jason and Scott hold Daly's feet to the fire on CBB, and flesh out each character's world outside of Earwolf's flagship podcast.

Two for two so far, this show is providing outstanding opportunities for other great comedians to get in on the Daly-brand insanity with their own, completely new characters to add to the mythos. Do not get me wrong, if Jason or Scott appear on an episode I will be absolutely elated. It will undoubtedly be comedic gold. However, considering the premise of the show, Daly's characters— getting a taste for podcasting due to CBB's open door policy— going ahead of their own volition and throwing their podcasting hats in the ring, probably would not go about trying to get Scott or Jason on their pilot episodes (outside of maybe Don, who has the strongest relationship with Jason and Scott on CBB. Gardner has a lot of history with Jason and Scott, for sure, but not a relationship. Gardner exists as a boogie man nightmare, having greatly affected their lives in such a way that they repressed their memories of him). As a result of this premise, I don't feel Scott or Jason will be on any of these eight episodes (as themselves). They could definitely be on as completely new, original characters tho.

So while I LOVE Daly's interactions with Scott and Jason, I do not miss it necessarily on ADPPP, but what I do love is that ADPPP makes me want to go re-listen to the CBB episodes in which they appear, and I do.

• Like 5

Satanic proselytizing is the best.

Ding dong.

Hello?

Yes, good afternoon, ma'am. I was wondering, have accepted the grace and peace of Satan into your life?

No. I'm a christian.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that you've been deluded in this way. You know, when Satan returns to our earthly realm and demands proof of loyalty, I certainly hope you'll be able to say that your mind was turned today toward the pure divine darkness of the Beelzebub, Lord of the Pit.

No. No. Get out.

I think you misunderstand, ma'am. You see, the beauty of Satanism is that it frees you up to do whatever you want.

Whatever I want? Can I work on cabinets?

Of course. If carpentry is your thing, I can't imagine any creed preventing you from-

No, I mean _work_ on _cabinets. *wink*

Oh, I see. I'm suddenly very uncomfortable. I'll leave these pamphlets behind for you to read at your leisure. Hail satan! *door slam*

Hail satan.

• Like 4

So while I LOVE Daly's interactions with Scott and Jason, I do not miss it necessarily on ADPPP, but what I do love is that ADPPP makes me want to go re-listen to the CBB episodes in which they appear, and I do.

And also relisten to Nine Sweaters!

• Like 3

Chip, shut your fucking leaky face! Put your forehead back in place, listen up, and take notes, because the grownups are talking you weirdo. You 43 year old FUCK!

The only thing standing between the first two episodes and absolute perfection is the absence of one Jason Manzoukas. As amazing as the rest of the guests are, terrible, dark, wonderful things happen when Zouks is there to bait Andy down the rabbit hole and react with incredulity.

And in terms of odd, but legitimate, issues : this podcast is so good it's actually lessened the enjoyment I get from others. I don't mean this hyperbolicly either, it's skewed my expectations ridiculously high for a largely ad hoc medium. I am legitimately concerned for my mental health once the Don Dimello episode drops, I worry the rest of my life will seem a gray ashen purgatory in comparison.

• Like 2

From the first announcement of this series I've been awaiting the Dimello episode. He's by far my favorite Daly charcacter and I hope it's as fantastic as i hope it'll be.

Judging by the Dalton and Chip episodes, I will not be disappointed. I just hope one of the guests turns out to be a "chocolate lady" who "has no idea where she is."

• Like 3

Wow nothing to add but admiration! This has been incredible, warm body smiles and laughs throughout. Like actual joy from this. Also can hardly get over the length of the shows and the good stuff they contain... them's some dense dense comedy goods. ARE THESE COMPLETELY CBB CANON?? I miss Tony :(

• Like 1

And also relisten to Nine Sweaters!

Nine Sweaters is a must. I apologize for not adding that in there. I foolishly thought it went without saying that Nine Sweaters is always worth a re-listen, when in fact, it can never not be mentioned enough! I myself gave the double-disc album a listen just this past weekend!

From the first announcement of this series I've been awaiting the Dimello episode. He's by far my favorite Daly charcacter and I hope it's as fantastic as i hope it'll be.

Judging by the Dalton and Chip episodes, I will not be disappointed. I just hope one of the guests turns out to be a "chocolate lady" who "has no idea where she is."

Judging from a tweet from Jessica St Clair awhile back, that Dimello episode will also feature Marissa Wompler.

Nine Sweaters is a must. I apologize for not adding that in there. I foolishly thought it went without saying that Nine Sweaters is always worth a re-listen, when in fact, it can never not be mentioned enough! I myself gave the double-disc album a listen just this past weekend!

3 sided tape is the future

Sign in to follow this