🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 82.5 — Minisode 82.5

I heard some hints about the person to whom you're referring, so I looked it up, and at least as of then (last weekend, I think), it wasn't on IMDB, even in the 'uncredited' section. If anyone is curious, it's easy enough to find, particularly if you know what character they play.

IMDB is pretty lousy sometimes with possibly spoilerish cast listings. If I remember correctly, Jason Statham was like the sixth or seventh listed person on "Fast and Furious 6". We had to promote that film and had stuff all over our lobby, and someone had just compiled the list of names from IMDB with pictures of the actors, including Statham, so I did a little checking to make sure he WASN'T in the main cast, that he'd just be a cameo, before replacing his bio with something like "Who's the mystery villain behind it all? Stay through the credits to find out!". Suspense, people. Suspense...

• Like 1

I read an article about this and I actually want to watch it because it sounds atrocious. That being said, I will be waiting until this movie hits my local budget theater ($2) before I check it out.

• Like 2

Heck, seeing this in theaters isn't a big sacrifice. It's February, what else are you going to watch?

February is the traditional dumping ground for the absolute worst movies of the year. The studios save their better movies for summer, spring, Halloween, Christmas, or pre-Oscar March.

Speaking of crap movies, did you know that they're rebooting the Fantastic Four franchise? Why do they keep making these? Nobody asked for even the second movie, and now they're pulling an Amazing Spiderman reboot only 7 years after the last movie?

Speaking of crap movies, did you know that they're rebooting the Fantastic Four franchise? Why do they keep making these? Nobody asked for even the second movie, and now they're pulling an Amazing Spiderman reboot only 7 years after the last movie?

I'm pretty sure Jessica Alba's blue dead eyes are reason enough for a FF reboot.

jessica-alba-fantastic-four.jpg

But I think everyone would be better off if the rights to FF went back to Marvel.

• Like 3

That's nothing, they are doing an American remake of the Raid three years after the original was released.

To be fair, the second FF did similar business to the first, so it's not like they lost money, but I think Fox knew they were pushing their luck by continuing to go in that direction. It wasn't like "Ghost Rider", where even if they were basically two different kinds of movies, they were connected, and less than half the people that saw the first one bothered to show up for a sequel. The casting of this new FF kind of puzzles me, as going by the actors involved, I'm not sure who will be playing who, whereas I think the earlier ones were (for the most part) cast well to type. If it works out though, I'd like to see the FF run into the X-Men, and if THAT goes well and Marvel can get all of the studios on the same page, MAYBE we can at least one day get a Marvel proper vs. Fox Marvel movie, assuming Marvel proper doesn't get the rights back at some point. Disney was already able to get Star Wars away from Fox through their purchase of Lucasfilm, so I can only imagine that Fox would try that much harder to keep the rights that they have, if for no other reason than to spite them.

• Like 1

Disney was already able to get Star Wars away from Fox through their purchase of Lucasfilm, so I can only imagine that Fox would try that much harder to keep the rights that they have, if for no other reason than to spite them.

That's really the entire reason Fox is even making a FF reboot. They have to make a movie every so many years or they lose the rights to the characters.

• Like 2

That's really the entire reason Fox is even making a FF reboot. They have to make a movie every so many years or they lose the rights to the characters.

That's correct, but I'll bet that they really weren't expecting to lose "Star Wars" as a film franchise in the then unlikely chance that there'd ever be another one. And who should buy Lucasfilm? Oh, just the very same people that they're trying to keep the X-Men and Fantastic Four away from. Disney and Marvel will make money out of anything they have, and it's up to Fox to decide if they want a share of it, and it's actually led to some really ballsy choices to keep interest going. Even including non-Marvel properties, they've actually done some pretty creative stuff to re-start franchises after driving them INTO the ground to begin with, as "Prometheus", "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", and of course "X-Men: First Class" were at least better received than their direct predecessors (the AvP films, Buton's Apes, and the first Wolverine) that seemingly stalled or killed their respective franchises in their tracks.

• Like 1

Heck, seeing this in theaters isn't a big sacrifice. It's February, what else are you going to watch?

I doubled down on this one--I bought the book to read it before I see the movie. So far, it reads like if Hans Christian Andersen wrote the novelization for "Gangs of New York."

• Like 1

Do NOT look up the actors involved in this movie and you will have an amazing surprise about 30 minutes in.

Please let it be Eddie Deezen.

I watched this at the movies today, and holy shit. I can not wait to hear the gangs take on this. There's just.... too many questions.

Saw this in theaters today and I was the only one in there. Do NOT look up the actors involved in this movie and you will have an amazing surprise about 30 minutes in.

**SPOILERS**: This movie is fucking crazy. It's all about miracles and destiny and "angels vs demons" except the angels are kind of assholes. Everyone in New York in 1920's had Irish or English accents.

Oh and Colin Farrel straight up slits a dudes throat in the first 5 minutes of the movie.

Quotable:

"Hes got de got damn horse."

The cameo character also gives the most INSANE monologue I have ever heard, and they try their hardest to act their damned hearts out too. It.... its nutsorama.

• Like 1

I doubled down on this one--I bought the book to read it before I see the movie. So far, it reads like if Hans Christian Andersen wrote the novelization for "Gangs of New York."

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? If you had pitched that as a book description to me, and I had no prior knowledge to what the book was, it would be something I'd be interested in reading.

• Like 1

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? If you had pitched that as a book description to me, and I had no prior knowledge to what the book was, it would be something I'd be interested in reading.

Ha! Elitist Prick, I bought the book because I read your comments earlier in the thread, and I am glad I did. My description was meant to be funny, but it is not too far off. Maybe I would throw in the words ". . . on acid." The book is odd and has a lot of heart, and I will be glad I read it before I saw the movie, especially if the movie is as bad as people are saying.

By the way, this book is available on Audible.com. [Yes, I nailed the product placement!]

• Like 2

Ha! Elitist Prick, I bought the book because I read your comments earlier in the thread, and I am glad I did. My description was meant to be funny, but it is not too far off. Maybe I would throw in the words ". . . on acid." The book is odd and has a lot of heart, and I will be glad I read it before I saw the movie, especially if the movie is as bad as people are saying.

By the way, this book is available on Audible.com. [Yes, I nailed the product placement!]

Ha! I'm glad my profanity-laced rant got you to read the book. I think your description is pretty accurate, actually. It gets to my whole fascination with all this myth-making wackiness that the book is steeped in.

Also: I gave in and saw this fucking movie. I don't even know why they bother adapting books like this. It was published over 30 years ago and any film version would necessitate spending tens of millions of dollars. It also doesn't have a rabid fanbase eager to see it on screen like Twilight or Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. So who is this for? Literature nerds who want to see an unfilmmable novel on screen? So many compromises and changes are made to the book, they might as well have not even bothered buying the rights and making some other wacky time travel Romance movie set in New York (remember Kate and Leopold starring Hugh Jackman?).

Still, it's much less infuriating than another unfilmmable novel-turned-movie I saw in theaters: Cloud Atlas. FUCK THAT MOVIE. It was so self-serious and burdened by its own sense of satisfaction I found it pretty unwatchable... but it really accomplished very little. It was like seeing a guy at a gym in an Affliction T-shirt hi-five his dudebros for bench pressing 65 pounds. Winter's Tale at least makes no pretense of intellectualism. The most irritating thing about it is the infusion of so much outright Christian allegory, which is not present in the novel (at least in the overly obvious expository speeches by these "demons" and Lucifer or whatever).

Finally: what is harder to believed in, flying angel horses from the stars, or run-of-the-mill romantic comedies in which Kevin James gets the girl?

• Like 2

I STILL do not understand the world of this movie. Does everybody know about the angels and demons hanging around? Is it a poorly kept secret? I guess the gangsters had to have known about Russell Crowe.... They certainly didn't seem surprised when the fucking flying horse showed up (was that horse someone important to the history of Crowe's character? He kept referring to it as "THE" horse, and as a dog...).

Surely Colin Ferrels character knew that Crowe was a demon, right? I mean he raised him.,.. he had to have known at some point. Why didn't Peter Lake share this crazy information with anyone else? Everyone in the modern time seemed very okay with the existence of an immortal, amnesiac hobo from the turn of the century. Nobody seemed to care much at all about it. When he was at the new york times, I thought for sure the reporter was taking him in to record his story for an article... but no, no interest at all. The editor in chief of the NYT's mantra is, apparently, "Question Nothing! Accept Everything!" She was VERY willing to accept that Peter was the same from her childhood, having not aged even 1 second.

What is this world?? Did the book explain the relationships between the supernatural and normal world more?? This movie felt like a shitty Dogma meets Titanic if it was written by Stephanie Meyer. The cameo is, honestly, the only interesting part of this movie. As insane as some moments were, the movie was largely just BORING. Very slow and uninteresting.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this