Episode 23 — Dumb Movies That Will Be Studied by History

8 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

Earwolf Buddy

• Administrators
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

The most important movies in history don’t always walk away with Academy Awards. In this podcast, you'll hear Jack O'Brien explain what Teen Wolf can tell us about the history of race relations in America, Dan O'Brien point out that Last Action Hero was basically the 1990’s answer to Inception, and Jason Pargin (aka David Wong) argue that The Matrix deserved to win Best Picture.

Don’t start arguing in the comments section before you throw on your headphones and click play.

#2 Tradermings

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

scottie pippen* actually produced numbers on the board.

*don cannon

#3 NortonCox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:40 PM

I really liked that episode. I've been peeking in on this show but this is certainly an ep that caused me to move from curious to looking up past and future works. Yet, I might be remembering it wrong, but I'm sure there was plenty of Forth Wall Breaking, self-referential, sarcastic comedy in the early 90's. That's where Last Action Hero bombed in my heart, the comedy was lame. The commentary was good. I still remember the line "Take his shoes?"

#4 .....

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

the matrix sequels were really good

deal w/it

#5 katexmachina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Last Action Hero came out when I was 6, and was my faaavorite movie. For years. Most little girls wanted to watch the Aladdin VHS over and over, but LAS was always the movie I picked. Thank you so much for this episode because I am now about to watch it on hulu for the first rewatch in like, 15 years.

#6 Joe Lerini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

I loved the Last Action Hero soundtrack. I listened to it all the time when I was 10-11. I didn't see the movie until a few years later. I kinda like it. Might rewatch it soon.

#7 PlanBFromOuterSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationEvans City, PA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

So there's a pregnancy storyline in the "Teen Wolf" TV show? Does EVERY fucking show on MTV nowadays have to be about teen pregnancy? What the hell...
Leonard Part 6: A Film Without Equel

#8 Loco_por_los_Cornballs

Pool Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:26 PM

[sigh] It was Michael Jordan, NOT Scottie Pippen.

(Also, discussing the issue of race/lack of black people in John Hughes movies is pointless and has nothing to do with John Hughes. You're just touching on the overall lack of black people in movies in general.)
Check out my "Never Not Funny" fan tumblr: http://nevernotpics.tumblr.com/

#9 ocean_machine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Actually, Jason, Men's Rights activists DO NOT use the "red pill" metaphore. You're thinking of The Red Pill (so subtle!) which is an entirely different group, unaffiliated group. The two groups don't even like each other. If you're going to talk shit about someone, at least do a little research.