🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 83 — Winter's Tale

Thank you for talking about the Blended trailer. HOLY SHIT I lost my mind when I saw it a while back. I wish there was more talk about it in the episode because it is so ludicrously bad and stupid.

Having watched the trailer just now, I can't wait for the Blended episode of HDTGM.

• Like 1

i have listened to this episode but trying to think about or remember any part of it results in losing two hours of time and waking up bleeding from my nose please help

• Like 1

Damn, stereo makes the opening theme song sound about 1000x better. Props to whichever engineer it was that rigged that up. (Stard?)

• Like 4

So is it safe to assume that Adam Sandler's standing in Hollywood is at an all time low and the hosts' standing is growing with their various projects and films that we may start to see Sandler movies get skewered on the show?

My favorite CBB combo of all time with a Paul Scheer as a chaser. Damn straight.

"Was his dick too warm?..." Man, that is classic.

This was a great episode, guys. Well done.

That said, I did miss having a female voice represented. Since June is pregnant, I'm assuming she'll be missing more than a few episodes in the near future. Here's my list of possible female guest hosts who I'd love to hear on the show while June is attending to more important matters:

Kulap Vilaysack

Jessica St. Clair

Lennon Parham

April Richardson

Alie Ward and/or Georgia Hardstark

Barbara Gray, Brandie Posey and/or Tess Barker

Emily V. Gordon

Cameron Esposito

Rhea Butcher

Elizabeth Laime

Mostly just awesome ladies from other podcasts, but I know they'd all make fantastic contributions.

• Like 7

This ep was great, but it would've been unreal if June was on it.

• Like 4

Awesome episode. I really love when the hosts/guests are just trying to decipher batshit bonkers plot points, and this episode was almost nothing but that.

"Shit happens" definitely wasn't a phrase in 1916, because it was coined by Forrest Gump.

• Like 1

oh dear god that mesh top

tumblr_mzu1niDKzN1qzx1gjo1_250.gif

you are a life-ruiner jason

• Like 8

oh dear god that mesh top

tumblr_mzu1niDKzN1qzx1gjo1_250.gif

you are a life-ruiner jason

I want this gif full-screen looping on an iPad in my headstone after I die.

• Like 6

By putting Lucifer in a Jimi Hendrix shirt are they trying to say that his music was Satanic, that he is in Hell, or that Satan is a fan of 60's rock? It seems like it has to be one of the three.

• Like 1

i wouldn't mind hearing Shelly Driftwoods take on some films

Did Brett Butler do any movies?

• Like 1

jason at one point said the word "manometer" as a synonym for colin farrell's temperate penis, missing the more apropos "spermometer", but other than that, this was stellar.

also as to the list of female guests, you forgot lauren lapkus.

• Like 1

Normally an episode without out June doesn't feel like a real episode because we don't get to hear the others say, "June . . June . . . June," and ask her to explain her misinterpretation of an event. But this time everyone is totally balls-out confused so it works.

So if Russell Crowe is a demon, and turns to a snowman when killed, doesn't that mean Jack Frost was a demon?! #HDTGMuniverse

• Like 3

I made myself laugh during the scene where Old Willa looks out the window, DURING BROAD DAYLIGHT, to search for her sister's star "somewhere up there in Orion's Belt." "Um...that's the sun," I imagined Peter saying.

"I'm counting all the stars." - Drusilla

"You can't see the stars, pet, that's the ceiling. Also: It's day." - Spike

• Like 3

So good! Earwolf could be Andy Daly all day, everyday, forever, and I would not complain.

Also, the writer/director/producer of Winter's Tale wrote Batman & Robin. So, y'know, f that guy.

Also, I feel like if June were a part of this episode, she might comment on how utterly helpless and weak the women in this movie are. In this world, if you are a woman and are somehow not involved with Colin ferrell, you are DOOMED.

By putting Lucifer in a Jimi Hendrix shirt are they trying to say that his music was Satanic, that he is in Hell, or that Satan is a fan of 60's rock? It seems like it has to be one of the three.

Maybe it is just what Will Smith was wearing that day and refused to do a wardrobe change and they just went with it..

• Like 2

jason at one point said the word "manometer" as a synonym for colin farrell's temperate penis, missing the more apropos "spermometer", but other than that, this was stellar.

But a manometer is a real thing (pronounced differently, but still), so maybe he was intentionally making that pun.

• Like 1

okay, I listened to this podcast again last night and I am starting to think I am not the only one who was confused about "magical realism". I have been hearing this term a lot recently and decided to do some research (read wikipedia). APPARENTLY the whole magic realism THING is for magic to happn and for no on to really make a big deal about it. It is a world which is otherwise identical to the real world we live in EXCEPT for these magical elements which are common for the world in the book and unremarkable.

I am an avid reader and looking at the lists on wikipedia I have never read a book like this though I mentioned this to my boyfriend (who has a degree in English Literature and also did not know exactly what magical realism was making me feel a little less dumb) and he was like "Oh like in Ted?" which is actually I think a pretty good example lol.

So anyways apparently this is an entire genre dominated by South American writers where the world is MOSTLY normal with elements of magic which are treated as normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_realism

Yeah magical realism is like satire in that no one has a set understanding of or its definition is always changing. Also being an English major, I saw numerous books that could be described as magical realistic but that shared very few similarities with one another. It is a very fine line between it and all out fantasy. For me the best way to describe it is where when the author wants to add something that would be considered fantasy but doesn't want to really explain its origins within the story, so they just make the characters in the book okay with what is happening around them and not worry about the flying horse or demon gangsters.

• Like 2

"Was his dick too warm?..." Man, that is classic.

This was a great episode, guys. Well done.

That said, I did miss having a female voice represented. Since June is pregnant, I'm assuming she'll be missing more than a few episodes in the near future. Here's my list of possible female guest hosts who I'd love to hear on the show while June is attending to more important matters:

Kulap Vilaysack

Jessica St. Clair

Lennon Parham

April Richardson

Alie Ward and/or Georgia Hardstark

Barbara Gray, Brandie Posey and/or Tess Barker

Emily V. Gordon

Cameron Esposito

Rhea Butcher

Elizabeth Laime

Mostly just awesome ladies from other podcasts, but I know they'd all make fantastic contributions.

I'd like to add Kate Micucci and Ricki Lindhome to this list, as I believe they have yet to make a HDTGM appearance and would be totally awesome. Also Tig Notaro. And Amy Phillips (either as herself or in-character as Liza Minnelli).

• Like 5