🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 1 — From Boy to Under a Blood Red Sky

In anticipation of U2’s latest album release, Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) and Scott Aukerman (Comedy Bang! Bang!) come together as superfan Adam Scott Aukerman to discuss the music and impact of the band. In the inaugural episode they delve into the U2 eras from Boy to Under a Blood Red Sky. So put your headphones on and hear how Adam Scott Aukerman got into U2, a teenage Adam’s experience at the US Festival in 1983, and the premiere of their other podcast “I Love Films.”

Fucking Achtung Baby had me rolling on the floor. They should record more episode late at night in a hot room.

"This is good rock and roll music"

• Like 4

No shit, I've wanted to hear the Scotts continue their conversation about U2 ever since that episode of CDR all those years ago. So crazy that it actually exists now.

It just goes to show that there's not a stone's throw of negative in dreaming.

• Like 3

I really hope one of the special guests they mentioned will be Malin Akerman.

• Like 4

No shit, I've wanted to hear the Scotts continue their conversation about U2 ever since that episode of CDR all those years ago. So crazy that it actually exists now.

It just goes to show that there's not a stone's throw of negative in dreaming.

Now if we can only get Gerry to return on this podcast and talk about playing the blues with his bros.

• Like 1

Now if we can only get Gerry to return on this podcast and talk about playing the blues with his bros.

There was a whisper of "Hey bros" when Scott recited the email. The Indie 103.1 bros miss him.

They should have done this on VPN with just an Asshole Cam on Larry Mullen Jr. showing off all of his individual pube crew cuts.

Can somebody explain how U2 are viewed in America?

In Britain, they are a punchline. Coldplay and Mumford are punchlines as well but they're seen as empty corporate vessels aimed at people who don't like music. U2 are on another level, Bono in particular is seen as unbelievably egotistical prick. If Coldplay are McDonalds then U2 are Monsanto. I don't think any other musician in history has inspired so much genuine hatred and venom as Bono.

I haven't actually listened yet but I'm assuming they're genuine fans, without irony.

• Like 3

In Britain, they are a punchline. Coldplay and Mumford are punchlines as well but they're seen as empty corporate vessels aimed at people who don't like music. U2 are on another level, Bono in particular is seen as unbelievably egotistical prick. If Coldplay are McDonalds then U2 are Monsanto. I don't think any other musician in history has inspired so much genuine hatred and venom as Bono.

I haven't actually listened yet but I'm assuming they're genuine fans, without irony.

I don't think they are quite THAT derided over here. And part of that has to do with 9/11, and how All That You Can't Leave Behind captured the spirit of 'recovery' after that event.

It's probably fair to say that all the 80s albums are still highly regarded over here - as is Achtung Baby. After that, it's very murky. The PopMart tour was pretty much laughed at and the television special that aired for it still ranks as ABC's lowest-rated prime-time special ever.

They rebounded with All That You Can't Leave Behind, and again, a lot of that to do with 9/11. U2 on the 9/11 telethon was legitimately a pretty powerful moment. I don't know that I can explain it to anyone outside of the US - our reaction to 9/11, that is. We freaked the fuck out as a country for a good week after that.

And U2 singing 'Walk On' on that telethon had resonance to a lot of people.

After that, I think Atomic Bomb is kind of seen as hit-and-miss for a lot of people. And the US profoundly did not give a shit about that last record.

So, I think U2 can best be described as a 'fading power' over here in the US. That new single Invisible and the horrid song from the Mandela movie don't really inspire confidence that it will turn around.

• Like 2

Ahh, yeah 9/11 went over my head. Figuratively speaking.

To be fair, I like a couple of songs from the 80's.

This podcast needs a dissenting view like Scott in "Analyze Phish", otherwise it's essentially equivalent to Harris Wittels talking to Harris Wittels about how great Phish is...but maybe I just don't care for U2 and negativity is not needed.

• Like 5

This podcast needs a dissenting view like Scott in "Analyze Phish", otherwise it's essentially equivalent to Harris Wittels talking to Harris Wittels about how great Phish is...but maybe I just don't care for U2 and negativity is not needed.

Maybe they will do that at some point, but Scott (the Aukerman variety) did sort of say at that the top that they wanted this to be different than Analyze Phish. I really dislike post-80s U2, but I thought there was kind of a charm to listening to two people as entertaining as Adam Scott Aukerman talking about one of their favorite bands.

Not calling it "You two talkin' U2 to me?" seems like a missed opportunity

• Like 10

Sounds like it's just your opinion and the echo chamber of hanging out with only like-minded people.

Yeah, they have to get someone on each one that hates U2. I like U2, so it was just me hearing people I feel I already have in my life, talking about U2. I want to hear the other side. WHERE IS THE DRAMA???

I'm just so super jazzed that this shit exists. The whole Achtung Baby thing is a great example of what I like about listening to The Scotts talk to each other and I look forward to listening to this entire series.

Am I the only Huey Lewis and the News fan in the world who thinks "Picture This" is their true masterpiece?

Yeah, i mean the Scott's are funny guys naturally, but i didn't think this would actually be them genuinely talking about how good U2 is. I mean, i'll listen to it, but its definitely no Analyze Phish.

If Coldplay & U2 are McDonalds & Monsanto then you've kind of answered your own question, haven't you?