🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 31 — Jazz

In Episode 3 of Season 3, Michael and Michael discuss America’s unique gift to the word aka “Jazz.” What exactly is Jazz? What is the definition of a Polyrhythm? Where does Jazz come from? Tune in as Michael & Michael get deep into the rich history of the ever beating heart of the American experience.

“Topics” features original music by Dan Deacon and is produced by Matthew Kahn.

I know Dan Deacon does the music, but who does the artwork for this podcast, because WOW:

topicsjazz.jpg

Also who is that third guy? David Wain?

• Like 2

I love it too, but when I first heard the news of it being on Earwolf, I was like, oh great, the sound quality's going to improve because they'll be using the studio. Boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

I came in with few expectations, but I enjoy the hosts' other work and appreciate the topic at hand. So the concept--as far as I can tell--is that they use the internet and some baseline knowledge to poorly fake their way through a topic? I like that idea, it's a good reflection on the way we carry ourselves within this everyone's-an-expert wikiculture we live in. My problem is that this was not funny or engaging in any way. It wasn't dry comedy, just plain dry. If anyone cares to, please explain what they get out of this. I'm not trying to troll or complain just for the sake of it. I'm genuinely wondering what people like about this. Maybe this was just a weak ep, but at this point I don't want to waste any more time finding a better one.

so fucking critical its free who cares the sound is fine and as for the content i find it hysterical i guess its an acquired taste for some.. id start with the first eps and what not but reading your comment tells me maybe you should just skip it

I found it extremely "engaging and funny". I love the conceit of Michael and Michael both trying to subtley prove that they know more than the other about any given topic. the faux-pretentiousness is pretty funny to me as well. I guess different strokes for different folks...

• Like 3

I love this podcast. It's like a fine wine or a Bouillabaisse (French pronunciation: ​[bu.ja.bɛːs]....Bouillabaisse originally was a stew made by Marseille fishermen using the bony rockfish which they were unable to sell to restaurants or markets.

• Like 4

I love this podcast. It's like a fine wine or a Bouillabaisse (French pronunciation: ​[bu.ja.bɛːs]....Bouillabaisse originally was a stew made by Marseille fishermen using the bony rockfish which they were unable to sell to restaurants or markets.

That is so interesting!

• Like 1

I could see dissenters of this really getting on board with Hollywood Handbook. Maybe give that a shot if this isn't up your alley.

• Like 2

I found it extremely "engaging and funny". I love the conceit of Michael and Michael both trying to subtley prove that they know more than the other about any given topic. the faux-pretentiousness is pretty funny to me as well. I guess different strokes for different folks...

It's a bit of a long con, you have to commit to the conceit of it. I think the energy level is what perhaps throws some listeners off? It's very measured.

I could see dissenters of this really getting on board with Hollywood Handbook. Maybe give that a shot if this isn't up your alley.

NEXT LEVEL TROLLING.

Really nice 'cast, guys! One bone I need to pick, though:

You can have a one-person study group. I study all on my own all of the time. It's actually much better because you can do it whenever you want. I have study groups all the time when I go on walks or feed the birds in the park, or making a risotto, or even just playing ball with the dog.

Thanks!

Maybe my mistake was jumping in blindly at the third season. I also had just finished the August Lindt episode of Andy Daly's Podcast Pilot Project, which would make most podcasts pale in comparison. I like giving things a fair shot (and, as I said, I am a big fan of the Michaels), so I am going to check out the first few eps when I get a chance. And I do very much appreciate free entertainment, but I don't think making something free makes it exempt from criticism.

I love it too, but when I first heard the news of it being on Earwolf, I was like, oh great, the sound quality's going to improve because they'll be using the studio. Boy was I wrong.

i'm workin with them on this. it's a challenge given the way they record, but at least some improvements will be made.

• Like 2

great discussion fellas. as a college graduate, Topics always makes me feel like i'm back on the old campus, "shootin' the breeze"

anyway jazz is a little too raunchy for me but it was enlightening to hear some fresh new takes

• Like 1

I first listened to Topics a week ago after hearing an advertisement for it on Professor Blastoff. When I finished the first episode I wasn't sure how many more I could endure, but it had enough hook to keep me listening. At this point I've listened to all of the episodes and am eagerly awaiting the next. So many belly laughs.

I'm more than impressed with your extensive knowledge of Moonshine O'Shea considering Google has no record of his existence.

This podcast makes me think. It takes my brain off autopilot...makes me want to research things and it's hilarious. Thanks Topics!

• Like 1

Michael Ian Blacksm's ultra-serious read of the Square Space is a thing of beauty.