🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 2 — The Unforgettable Fire

Adam Scott Aukerman say hello to family, friends, and U2 fans as they dive into U2‘s fourth studio album The Unforgettable Fire. They’ll talk about where their little boy selves were at the time of its October 1st 1984 release, the significant event that occurred at 1985‘s Live Aid that made U2 superstars, and what their impressions of the album are today. Plus, they’ll share some of their favorite movie quotes in the return of their podcast “I Love Films.”

Thank goodness I Love Films returned! Thank you, Scott and Scott.

I'm glad that I've made it 40 minutes into this episode and so far you've barely managed to mention the title of the album. Finally a music podcast done right!

• Like 2

Oh shit looks like it's going to be another night episode.

It's becoming pretty clear the answer to the question, "U TALKIN’ U2 TO ME?", is most definitely no. There was only about 5 minutes of actual U2 discussion in this episode.

• Like 7

My first U2 album was Atomic Bomb (yeah) so I was a latecomer to the band. Maybe it's just me but for me? Unforgettable Fire is a perfect album and perhaps their best album ever.

Bad is easily their best song.

• Like 2

They'll end up playing "Would You Rather" before this series is finished. And Paul F. Tompkins will come on as Bono.

• Like 1

I think the name is good, guys. No need to change. Might I recommend, however, that you call the Superman 2 podcast Talk Soup(erman 2)?

• Like 3

I could listen to you dudes talk about anything! Another great episode Scottmen!

BAHHH! There are no bad tracks on Unforgettable Fire. This is fact.

Scotts aren't kidding about the legal requirements about the literal truth of album names. Though most people don't realize it, How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb includes instructions on how to defuse a nuclear warhead on a hidden track. However, these instructions do not cover how to dismantle it entirely. There was a short-lived court case a few years ago over this imbroglio. U2 settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

• Like 1

I made an account for this.

I can't even begin to describe what I felt when I heard Harris giggling in the background towards the end, other than sheer elation - and when he came on the mic, I came! (Sorry)

I've had a really shitty couple of days, and hearing the Haredog jump on board, completing the Analyze Phish reunion, made me so goddamn happy for the first time in a while.

Also, "This is U Talkin' U2 To Me, and this is [band that isn't U2]" is my favorite thing.

• Like 5

U2 has diversified into all sorts of industries. If the Scotts are in need of pre-owned transportation, they should hit up Larry at U2sed Cars. What else do you imagine Larry doing when he's not recording or on tour? He's stacking 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap!

I am now convinced that I hate Phish and U2.

• Like 3

I think we're now past the point of U2 that I like. I pretty much feel the same way about War as the Scotts do and I do think it's a perfect album. It's really the only album from U2 I like because I feel like it's a good post-punk record that can be appreciated on a bigger scale. I love post-punk stuff and it's crazy to say U2 has one of the best albums of that style, but that's how good War is. I kind of like The Unforgettable Fire (or the "Martin Luther King Tribute Album" as I like to call it).

By the way, we should be so lucky to get three "I Love Film" episodes.

Harris being snarky about a band someone else likes is hilarious. Scott should say "wait, wait go 14 minutes into this live version of Where the Streets Have No Name. Yeah!"

• Like 4

I realized I was nuts when I got anxious that nobody corrected Adam about him saying that the U2/The Police torch-passing happened at Live Aid.

It actually occurred on the Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope tour. The Police didn't even play Live Aid - Sting played solo.

This podcast is so great. It's like old CDR episodes mixed with Analyze Phish mixed with pure insanity.

• Like 2

Okay, I stand corrected: 4 I Love Films episodes, A Talkin Bout Money episode, and a Jucation episode. We are spoiled.

Also: "When life hands you live, make Live Aid"

SAVE IT FOR THE CORNER FOAMY

• Like 2

Scritti Politti, Prefab Sprout and the Pet Shop Boys?

Come on, Kulap. Those are awesome bands.

You've got good taste, Prefab Sprouterman.

• Like 1

I'm bummed that there aren't more U2 fans commenting on this U2 podcast board

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this