🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 275 — LIVE from SXSW 2014

Whew, that was close. I thought for sure the sheriff was gonna pull out the glock-balls.

• Like 2

No

I know it exists! I just can't find it in the archived blogs!

post-25637-0-41362200-1394515042_thumb.jpg

What's this about the original Sheriff's appearance being a "bit gone bad" etc.? As many have already stated, it's an episode worthy uh..., surely among my all time favs, have listened to it so many times! Anyone has a link to the mention quoted above or Scott/James talking about how it went "wrong"?

As far as I'm concerned that original episode was Earwolf's gold.

Im pretty sure I remember recently listining to the best of for that year and ep 98 obviously made the list and got nothing but praise from Scott and PFT.

Also I gotta give the credit for the catchphrase to JosephSchmo. Scott is looking at the 'last replied by" name instead of "started by" (2 weeks in a row now). Needless to say I have now responded to every catphrase suggestion.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure I remember recently listining to the best of for that year and ep 98 obviously made the list and got nothing but praise from Scott and PFT.

It didn't make the list but they played the A Worthy Uhh bonus clip and they praised it quite a bit.

@ 1:20:00 "Has anyone ever opened up the floor for Scott Aukerman?" YES! They HAVE! That has happened AT LEAST once before! I think it was a PFT episode? AM I CRAZY?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE???

• Like 1

Fantastic. I too often revisit "A Worthy Uhh." It's one of my favorite Adomian appearances.

"When I'm listening to live radio, it's people barking commands and orders, taking over one building or another."

• Like 1

THANK YOU. That Sidney Bristow was trying to make me sound like a real douche.

tone wasn't negative

@ 1:20:00 "Has anyone ever opened up the floor for Scott Aukerman?" YES! They HAVE! That has happened AT LEAST once before! I think it was a PFT episode? AM I CRAZY?!?!? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE???

It was a live episode from the most recent tour. PFT as ghost of Richard Harrow

• Like 1

I don't know which I loved more: Sheriff of Nottingham's horrible sexual advances, or his willingness to drop bits he thinks are going nowhere.

• Like 1

The sheriff is definitely one of my favorite Adomian characters and I'm glad he's still doing it although it's rare. They mentioned that it doesn't go over well sometimes, and I think that's due the the crowd. The character is basically an excuse for James to sexually harass everyone, but when the crowd is on board it fucking WORKS even when he is "merely chewing scenery."

agreed. i was fortunate to see Adomian perform as Nottingham in Montreal in 2012 and it was hilarious to see how he interacted with the audience members in their various levels of discomfort and embarrassment. a great character, but he performs it in a very visual way, so i can see how it doesn't always work on an audio podcast (especially when it's in studio)

What's this about the original Sheriff's appearance being a "bit gone bad" etc.? As many have already stated, it's an episode worthy uh..., surely among my all time favs, have listened to it so many times! Anyone has a link to the mention quoted above or Scott/James talking about how it went "wrong"?

As far as I'm concerned that original episode was Earwolf's gold.

Adomian started off as Alan Rickman then became the Sheriff of Nottingham, then turned into Hans Gruber so I'm assuming he hadn't made a concrete decision on where the character was going before the podcast. Fortunately Adomian is a brilliant improviser so it worked on a crazy free association level, with wildly inconsistent (but hilarious) backstories. I think Scott and James both strive for a cleaner narrative which is why the Sheriff was on hiatus for 3 years. (See Adomian's Dr.Bronner character in episode 142: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/popcorn-com/ which didn't work because the voice was so charged and high key combined with the straight guy chair going to Tim & Eric, whose anti improv 'No,but' attitude works in a very specific context.)

Uh,oh, I just explained a joke. I apologize in advance for murdering comedy.

I didn't get the "when...everybody wins" joke. Could somebody explain it to me?

I'm glad Scott mentioned the Orson Welles appearance too 'cause I've wanted another Orson episode foreeeever. the most awesomely pointless character ever.

• Like 1

I didn't get the "when...everybody wins" joke. Could somebody explain it to me?

The tag line for the movie "Alien vs. Predator" was "Whoever wins: we lose".

Adomain was ON FIRE. Great episode and glad to hear another Jonah Ray appearance! That other guy was funny too!

So I'm a completist (someone who feels the need to start at the beginning and go in order) who found Comedy bang bang way late, and doesn't find enough time to actually catch up. The result being that I'm like 4 years behind on the podcast.

Anyways, the reason I decided to post was that James Adomian made a Kevin Spacey joke in this (starting at 44:45 or so) that really made me raise my eyebrows. Interesting.