#41 leor herman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:26 AM

View PostBruce Reid Robinson II, on 10 March 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

The sheriff is definitely one of my favorite Adomian characters and I'm glad he's still doing it although it's rare. They mentioned that it doesn't go over well sometimes, and I think that's due the the crowd. The character is basically an excuse for James to sexually harass everyone, but when the crowd is on board it fucking WORKS even when he is "merely chewing scenery."

agreed. i was fortunate to see Adomian perform as Nottingham in Montreal in 2012 and it was hilarious to see how he interacted with the audience members in their various levels of discomfort and embarrassment. a great character, but he performs it in a very visual way, so i can see how it doesn't always work on an audio podcast (especially when it's in studio)

#42 Sydney Bristow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Locationvery far off island

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostJacob C, on 11 March 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

STOP BEING SO MEAN

I'm Suvari I was so Mena

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  image.jpg (325.79K)
    Number of downloads: 13

Expect More. Alias

#43 GarbleBlargl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostAstronautDown, on 10 March 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

What's this about the original Sheriff's appearance being a "bit gone bad" etc.? As many have already stated, it's an episode worthy uh..., surely among my all time favs, have listened to it so many times! Anyone has a link to the mention quoted above or Scott/James talking about how it went "wrong"?

As far as I'm concerned that original episode was Earwolf's gold.

Adomian started off as Alan Rickman then became the Sheriff of Nottingham, then turned into Hans Gruber so I'm assuming he hadn't made a concrete decision on where the character was going before the podcast. Fortunately Adomian is a brilliant improviser so it worked on a crazy free association level, with wildly inconsistent (but hilarious) backstories. I think Scott and James both strive for a cleaner narrative which is why the Sheriff was on hiatus for 3 years. (See Adomian's Dr.Bronner character in episode 142: http://www.earwolf.c...de/popcorn-com/ which didn't work because the voice was so charged and high key combined with the straight guy chair going to Tim & Eric, whose anti improv 'No,but' attitude works in a very specific context.)

Uh,oh, I just explained a joke. I apologize in advance for murdering comedy.

#44 vnth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

I didn't get the "when...everybody wins" joke. Could somebody explain it to me?

#45 mfnpjparty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

I'm glad Scott mentioned the Orson Welles appearance too 'cause I've wanted another Orson episode foreeeever. the most awesomely pointless character ever.

#46 ocean_machine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postvnth, on 15 March 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

I didn't get the "when...everybody wins" joke. Could somebody explain it to me?

The tag line for the movie "Alien vs. Predator" was "Whoever wins: we lose".

#47 ocean_machine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationThe Earth

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Adomain was ON FIRE. Great episode and glad to hear another Jonah Ray appearance! That other guy was funny too!

#48 dcdoorknob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

So I'm a completist (someone who feels the need to start at the beginning and go in order) who found Comedy bang bang way late, and doesn't find enough time to actually catch up. The result being that I'm like 4 years behind on the podcast.

Anyways, the reason I decided to post was that James Adomian made a Kevin Spacey joke in this (starting at 44:45 or so) that really made me raise my eyebrows. Interesting.