🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
denimgremlin

Nerd Pokerish

In Billy Joel News, Or 'Things That Should Not Be'.

NEW YORK (AP) — In a rare and unusual mix of rock legends, AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson made a surprise appearance at Billy Joel's concert at Madison Square Garden and played the metal band's classic, "You Shook Me All Night Long."

Joel introduced Johnson about halfway through the show Friday night, saying Johnson was part of one of the best bands he'd ever seen live. The packed arena erupted when Joel and his band began playing the rock anthem with Johnson on lead vocals.

The show was part of a series of concerts by Joel at the Garden. He's playing there monthly as an artist-in-residence.

Friday's show included a mix of Joel standards such as "Uptown Girl" and "Big Shot" as well as less-played songs, such as "The Ballad of Billy the Kid."

I think NP listeners should all probably catch the latest episode of Paul F Tompkins's The Dead Authors Podcast if they're not already subscribers...

Chapter 32: E. Gary Gygax, featuring Chris Tallman

it's so weird, last week was like D&D everywhere, this dead authors podcast, a d&d episode of Community, Spencer finally returns to do d&d on Harmontown after several weeks off, it was cool.

Interesting article:

How We Won the War on Dungeons and Dragons

From the comments: "It was never a fair fight between fundamentalist Christianity and D&D. One was a dangerous system full of dark mysticism and threats to warp a young mind beyond repair, and the other was a tabletop RPG."

• Like 3

Hey dudes and dudettes,

I think this thread is a fantastic idea (no pun intended… you know… because the fantasy and eh, eh, *bad Woody Allen impression*).

I wanted to let you guys know about a really fun game that I found recently that I definitely think at least a bunch of you would be into. It's in the iTunes app store, it's ABSOLUTELY free, and it's metal as f*ck.

It's called Cardinal Quest 2. It's reminiscent of an old school fantasy adventure arcade game. Basically you clear level after level with a basic character archetype (fighter, mage, rogue, etc etc), and pick up cool items and equipment while killing monsters and trying to stay alive. You start off with only the fighter available, but the more you play, the more characters you can unlock.

The graphics are really basic and the movement is entirely turn based. It's old school and I love it. Hope you guys do too!

(by the way I am in no way affiliated with this game or the people who made it! I just thought ppl would like it!) :)

Edited by telegramsam

On the latest Nerdist podcast (w/ Hannibal Buress) Chris Hardwick and Matt Mira have a short riff (@37:00) on what Blaine is like in a writers' room. (Spoiler: Pretty much the same.)

• Like 1

http://www.pastemaga...-1954-2014.html

"Old-school Dungeons & Dragons fans are mourning the death of David Trampier, a once-famed fantasy artist who contributed to the game’s original allure—only to mysteriously disappear from the public eye in the 1980s.

Trampier, 59, died on March 24 at a nursing and rehab facility in Carbondale, Illinois. Scott Thorne, owner of Carbondale gaming store Castle Perilous, had been in touch with the elusive Trampier before his death and wrote in a blog post that the artist was recently diagnosed with cancer and suffered a stroke.

In the late 1970s, Trampier’s paintings and drawings peppered the manuals and modules for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the first edition of the groundbreaking role-playing game. He also authored Wormy, a long-running comic strip in the D&D magazine Dragon, which joked about RPGs from the monsters’ point of view."Players-Handbook-Advanced-Dungeons-and-Dragons-1st-release-Dustrial-Boston-1-530x721.jpg

Edited by The Black Krim
  • Like 2

How about Brian Blaine and Patton on @midnight tonight with Chris Hardwick? I fan-girled so much!

Saaaaarrrkkkkk: http://wtaq.com/news...he-fuel-system/

UNDATED (WSAU) -- Mazda is recalling around 42,000 cars because of spider problems.

It turns out the fuel system of the Mazda 6 can attract a species of spider called the yellow sac spider. Those spiders then weave webs inside of the fuel line which can cause excessive pressure in the tank, leading to fuel leaks and possibly fires.

The recall involves a group of cars produced in Michigan in 2010 through 2012 with 2.5-liter engines.

This is not the first time Mazda has had to recall cars over spider issues. They had to issue a recall in 2011 for the same problem when spiders started making homes inside of fuel systems.

Mazda owners will get a software update for their cars that will prevent excessive pressure

• Like 2

There is a fantastic web comic out right now.

www.tabletitans.com

Its cool because it bounces in and out of character as a group plays D&D. Worth a read if you enjoy Webcomics. Start from the beginning. Its worth it.

• Like 2

www.tabletitans.com

Its cool because it bounces in and out of character as a group plays D&D. Worth a read if you enjoy Webcomics. Start from the beginning. Its worth it.

Seconded. It's by Scott Kurtz, who also appears in the PAX Celebrity D&D games.

• Like 2

www.tabletitans.com

Agreed. There's a lot of Mildred in there.

Sign in to follow this