🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 278 — Only Tones

It’s a special March Music edition of Comedy Bean Bag as Matt Berninger of The National & Rhett Miller of the Old 97’s get candid about being lead singers all while the Old 97‘s play live versions of songs from their new album “Most Messed Up.” Later, entrepreneur George Zimmer appears in a cloud of cigar smoke and under the guise of a silhouette to tell us about being fired from Men's Wearhouse. Then, fellow lead singer Russell Crowe of 30 Odd Foot of Grunts drops by to give us some behind the scenes info on his upcoming film Noah. You’re going to like what you hear in this episode. I guarantee it.

Check out The National’s rockin’ documentary Mistaken For Strangers in theaters & VOD on Friday, March 28th. Go to http://mistakenforstrangersmovie.com/ for more info!

I'm only halfway through this and I already know it's my favorite podcast of the year. I guarantee it.

(Also James hitting on Scott is my new favorite recurring bit on the show.)

1371665542000-ousted-ceo007-1306191507_4_3.jpg

Picture vaguely related.

• Like 5

I thought the two "MUSICAL GUESTS" were both great, as were the songs.

I loved George Zimmer.

I was pretty indifferent towards Russell Crowe, but I literally have not seen a movie with him since Gladiator premiered in theaters, so that may just be on me (especially since Adomian is my fav).

MUUUSICAL GUEST

I LOOOOVED how Adomian bailed on whatever they had talked about prior to the show (him being a musician) so that he could be of all things, George Zimmer. I laughed to tears at just the introduction.

• Like 6

AHH! President of the National fan club right here. This ep is a dream come true. Love how game Matt was.

Great ep

I wish I could be around to see the reactions of the fans of The National and The Old 97's who have never listened to CBB before while listening to Adomian's craziness

• Like 3

Adomian is always great, the band seemed quite pleasant and played along well. I'm not a huge fan of musical performances on the show, but I can't begrudge Scott using his platform to share things he really loves. Though listening to "U Talking u2 to me" has given me enough of sense of his taste and passion for music to that I can appreciate him getting to vibe with artists he admires musically

Hahaha, Adomian is such a dick at the end of this having both of his characters plug nonsense when Scott is clearly in a hurry, I love it

• Like 2

Such a great episode. I loved when Adomian was doing Zimmer and crossed over into Tom Lykus for a second.

Also did Scott say 40 episodes for season 4? holy shit

• Like 1

If I had a nickel for every time Scott (or Jimmy Pardo) found a way to reference Marliu Henner, I'd have a bunch of nickels probably

• Like 1

What great guests! I really loved how well the musicians played along.

What great guests! I really loved how well the musicians played along.

Yep, some pro level yes-anding from both Rhett and Matt. Does Matt remind anyone else of an American Jon Dore?

I'd love to hear a supercut of Russell Crowe saying "Noah" and Ahi saying "no".

• Like 4

I always love it when Adomian takes the show completely off the rails. Scott always sounds slightly annoyed when it happens bit that just makes it funnier.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but for me, James Adomian's George Zimmer sounded a lot like the wrestler Rob Van Dam.

I thought the musical guests were great as well. And I can only imagine how great this would've been if Jon Hamm had shown up.

Adomian's George Zimmer sounds like a cross between his Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Tom Leykis. My favorite part was when he chimed in with "You're gonna like the way you survive a deluge. I guarantee it."

• Like 2

AHH! President of the National fan club right here. This ep is a dream come true. Love how game Matt was.

Matt did a great job of tweaking his gloomy-gus reputation and turning it into comedy gold.

• Like 1

"Yeah! Let's get a lion fucking an owl or something, y'know what I mean?! Let's make the future fabulous!"

Amazing.

• Like 1