🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 173 — Doughnut Agree

I may be talking out of turn, but I felt that Mike's obsession with Barkhad Abdi was the fact that he made 65K two years ago appearing as a main character in a Hollywood blockbuster, and that it was depressing that due to his teeth and his awkward appearance, he would be denied roles after an awesome performance. I don't doubt this to be true, and while it is depressing to point out, I think he made it fairly obvious that he believes (and I do too) that this was realistic in Hollywood.

• Like 2

I had to bail on this one, as I have in the past when April is on. And it's not April's fault -- she's just being who she is. I can't take Howard trying to give her notes during the episode. I did enjoy when she said "You know I'm not Kulap, right?" But then after Howard said "You this is the show right?" I was done for good. I enjoy Howard quite a bit, but his obsession with Kulap sometimes gets creepy.

• Like 2

Assume that a millipede's leg is 1mm wide. that's pretty small. in fact, let's assume a millipede's leg is 0.5mm wide.

Now let's assume there's like 0.5mm space between each leg for movement.

Now let's assume that Lawrence was correct when he asserted that centipedes have 100s of legs, but millipedes have 1000s(?!)

That would mean millipedes would be at least 1-2 meters long. AAAAUUUUGGGHHH !!!

If you come across a 2 meter long millipede or anything that has "1000s of legs", run, because you're in a horror movie and you just met the monster.

i came here just to post about this, no millipede has thousands of legs, guess you're not that much of a bug nerd dude!

from Wikipedia: "The name "millipede" is a compound word formed from the Latin roots mille ("thousand") and pes ("foot"). Despite their name, no known millipede has 1,000 legs, although the rare species Illacme plenipes has up to 750.[1] Common species have between 36 and 400 legs."

i gotta admit i kinda checked out pretty early in this episode, i don't know much about mike lawrence and maybe i'm wrong i'll check his stuff out, i just didn't really find him funny. in the first 5 minutes he made a hacky joke about black women's names and praised what sounded like a terrible batman/chewbacca gay panic joke in the lego movie (i didn't see it yet, is that for real?? if so, hollywood needs to drop that bullshit). but it seems like i'm not the only one who wasn't into it

maybe it's just his adam pallyish frat boy sounding voice that bugs me, but i like adam pally despite that so what the hell do i know?

• Like 2

I found Mike insufferable at the start, specially the whole philip seymour hoffman riff he went on. Completely unnecessary. Followed by his whole captain phillips tirade, in which he corralled everyone to join in on into a horribly bully-like conversation that was one of the most shallow things I've ever heard and didn't even meander on funny but was just trying to be shocking for cheap laughs. It was akin to Family Guy, which is not a compliment in the least.

Yet I have to say that by the end, I kinda warned up to Mike. His love for the movie Up was kinda great, and I actually know the area he came from and liked his whole bus struggles and discussions with April about Batman. If this episode had somehow just ended up being those two discussing in depth pop culture, I think it would have been bearable.

But if a dud guest had been the only thing wrong with this episode it would have made it alright. Howard became more and more gratiying throughout the episode. Starting with overly getting on April's case, which by the end she seemed to lose SO much interest (who can blame her really?) and the his whole "make'em ups" shtick got so old so quick. It's like, what DO you like Howard? It was charming and funny the first time, not as much the millionth. Kulap's expert wrangling of Howard being self-indulgent and bad guest was in dire need.

April, who is amazing in Go Bayside!, could not catch a break. I genuinely felt bad for her at times her. She is not like Kulap, in that she can't take a criticism with out focusing too much on how she can't do things just like Howard likes them (this is more on DBS than anyone) and it felt like it really got to her. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't do another guest hosting. In fact, I'd be fine if Whooch took a brief break til Kulap is done with her projects. I never realized just how much she brings to the table until this disaster of an episode.

WC has always been such a nice thing to look forward to listen to at work every week, but this ep had such a weird taste to it. No sir, I did not like it.

• Like 3

Mike's unfunny rant about Barkhad Abdi wasn't just mean but was racist. He went on about how ugly he was but also how stupid he was for moving to LA to pursue a career. Mike seems to think that because abdi is an immigrant that he is ignorant of how Hollywood works.

The funny thing is that Abdi just won a BAFTA and also landed a roll in Judd Apatows new film. So if a Somalian immigrant who isn't attractive enough for Hollywood is seemingly making a career for himself, what's the excuse for Lawrence a white, university educated American for not being successful?

Lawrence brought up Jim Henson who defied odds, followed his passion and made a career out of puppets, yet he disparages others from doing the same. I hope Abdi proves him wrong and no doubt Lawrence's unique brand of unfunny comedy (like dryly retelling portions of the Simpsons, brilliant) we won't have to put up with him on too many screens

• Like 3

I haven't listened to the whole thing, and I probably won't. Mike Lawrence brought a very negative energy to the show, and Howard weirdly seemed like he was trying win Mike over. Just a bad time.

I agree. I was really put off by the "teeth falling out" remarks. And we get it, PSH died from an overdose. Do you need to tey and make a joke about it 5 times within a 2 minute span? I usually like a good guest host ep and April was doing fine but I couldn't get past ML.

I had to bail on this one, as I have in the past when April is on. And it's not April's fault -- she's just being who she is. I can't take Howard trying to give her notes during the episode. I did enjoy when she said "You know I'm not Kulap, right?" But then after Howard said "You this is the show right?" I was done for good. I enjoy Howard quite a bit, but his obsession with Kulap sometimes gets creepy.

haha all of this is absurd

Howard and April are really good friends guys, like siblings. They hang out regularly. It's not always clear over the air what is going on inside the room.

• Like 6

Turned it off after 10 minutes. But, I am heartened that other WC fans found the episode distasteful as well - I thought maybe my funny bone was broken.

I think Howard tried, but he didn't know what to do when confronted with the negativity - like with that whole weird German rant about the EDM - Howard tried to explain that most of the songs on the chart were American, but it wasn't going anywhere.

There did seem like more negativity than usual this episode, and it was started by How right from the get go. Mike balanced his early negative stuff out with his sweet "defence" of Up and then his geeking out with April over their love of Batman, whereas How was on a downbound train the entire episode.

I still liked it though.

Sign in to follow this