Jump to content


Episode 69 — The Stakeout


19 replies to this topic

#1 July Diaz

    Earwolf Buddy

  • Administrators
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationUnder a roof

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

With the new found ability to be invisible, the gang keep an eye on the deadly Gnasher to see if it falls to its death after drinking from its poisoned water bowl. Will the dog meet its demise? Where is that faint harp noise coming from? Tune in to find out!

#2 Snake Lee

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

I swear whenever Jerry wants a vacation he just kamikazees his character. I don't see he or Sarah in the pictures, so here's hoping that they come back soon

#3 NotBettyWhite

    Man In Hot Dog Suit

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Fun Fact: Spiders do have a sense of smell: http://www.spiderswo.../spider-senses/

"The sense of smell is very strong for the Spider. They also use that for finding mates."

I think it just wanted to cuddle.

#4 DubipR

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

View PostNotBettyWhite, on 02 April 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

Fun Fact: Spiders do have a sense of smell: http://www.spiderswo.../spider-senses/

"The sense of smell is very strong for the Spider. They also use that for finding mates."

I think it just wanted to cuddle.


Posted Image

#5 must turd

    half animal, part party machine

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

i have a question for any d&d spell caster experts out there, is that polymorph spell just like an illusion thing or does it actually make blackie into whatever he chooses to look like? when he brought it up all i could think was why doesn't he just turn into like a bull or dinosaur or something and go on a rampage? if it does give him the actual form of something couldn't he just like bust into the rat king's room and bite his head off?

#6 Stargoyle

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Location???

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postmust turd, on 02 April 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

i have a question for any d&d spell caster experts out there, is that polymorph spell just like an illusion thing or does it actually make blackie into whatever he chooses to look like? when he brought it up all i could think was why doesn't he just turn into like a bull or dinosaur or something and go on a rampage? if it does give him the actual form of something couldn't he just like bust into the rat king's room and bite his head off?


Not an expert by a long shot, but polymorph has long been considered a game breaker, because of those very reasons. Sark is limiting it to assuming a form of the same mass, which reigns it in a bit (Blackie might be able to turn into a rat-sized dinosaur.) That may be a house rule (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

#7 Dan Engler

    Friend of The Show

  • Moderators
  • 574 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostSnake Lee, on 02 April 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

I swear whenever Jerry wants a vacation he just kamikazees his character. I don't see he or Sarah in the pictures, so here's hoping that they come back soon

Based on the clothes they're wearing, it's clear that all of the Nerd Poker Ratventures™ episodes were recorded in a single session. Which is a shame, because I was hoping Patton would drop in to voice one of the rats working in the kitchen.

#8 telegramsam

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostDan Engler, on 02 April 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Based on the clothes they're wearing, it's clear that all of the Nerd Poker Ratventures™ episodes were recorded in a single session. Which is a shame, because I was hoping Patton would drop in to voice one of the rats working in the kitchen.


Yeah, I'm kind of ruling out a Patton cameo at this point. They got him to come in once, and that was great, but he's a really busy dude. He's also on the talk show circuit right now, I think, promoting his new special (Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time). It's great, if you haven't seen it yet.

Also, I wonder if Pixar or whatever might give them trouble for doing a Remy cameo. I mean, probably not. But I guess if they weren't careful?

#9 HunterJE

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Another great episode--I feel like there was some complaining in one of the recent episode threads about lack of rolls or combat, and I think this goes to show how you can have good RPG sessions without traditional crawling. Great open-ended problem solving, smart choices on the part of players, unexpected outcomes that don't just feel like the DM trying to railroad back into a pre-planned puzzle/solution. Very non-shitty DMing and non-shitty character play. Bravo!

#10 NotBettyWhite

    Man In Hot Dog Suit

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Oh! PAX Prime - yes! Go! That would be rad! Tickets should be going on sale shortly.

#11 Snake Lee

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostDan Engler, on 02 April 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Based on the clothes they're wearing, it's clear that all of the Nerd Poker Ratventures™ episodes were recorded in a single session.


It's annoying but I understand. If I were doing this show for years, I would probably want a month off at some point, too

View PostStargoyle, on 02 April 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:


Not an expert by a long shot, but polymorph has long been considered a game breaker, because of those very reasons. Sark is limiting it to assuming a form of the same mass, which reigns it in a bit (Blackie might be able to turn into a rat-sized dinosaur.) That may be a house rule (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)


As OP as polymorph seems to be, I still feel like the gauntlet hand is twice as broken

#12 Ben K

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostStargoyle, on 02 April 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:


Not an expert by a long shot, but polymorph has long been considered a game breaker, because of those very reasons. Sark is limiting it to assuming a form of the same mass, which reigns it in a bit (Blackie might be able to turn into a rat-sized dinosaur.) That may be a house rule (someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)

If I'm understanding the show right, they read that with polymorph you could turn into something as big as a hippo. I didn't see that as saying rat sized hippo, just a hippo sized hippo. Maybe the trade off with it is you're still as frail as whatever you were before? It is a crazy spell.

#13 must turd

    half animal, part party machine

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostBen K, on 03 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

If I'm understanding the show right, they read that with polymorph you could turn into something as big as a hippo. I didn't see that as saying rat sized hippo, just a hippo sized hippo. Maybe the trade off with it is you're still as frail as whatever you were before? It is a crazy spell.


thats what i was thinking, like you looked as big as a hippo but didn't have the proportional strength of a hippo

#14 thisalisa

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

View Posttelegramsam, on 02 April 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:


Yeah, I'm kind of ruling out a Patton cameo at this point. They got him to come in once, and that was great, but he's a really busy dude. He's also on the talk show circuit right now, I think, promoting his new special (Tragedy Plus Comedy Equals Time). It's great, if you haven't seen it yet.

Also, I wonder if Pixar or whatever might give them trouble for doing a Remy cameo. I mean, probably not. But I guess if they weren't careful?


No, don't say that! I will always hope that Patton with make time to drop in for an episode or two.

#15 Jakabird

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

The gauntlet was OP, at one point...but i think its been brought back in the opposite direction (well...its moot now, but still). Im wondering if maybe Sark has a hard time walking that line...he wants our guys to have kickass weapons and abilities, but ends up reigning them in pretty far. I think, for me, that would be the hardest part of DMing.

#16 qrter

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostBen K, on 03 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

If I'm understanding the show right, they read that with polymorph you could turn into something as big as a hippo. I didn't see that as saying rat sized hippo, just a hippo sized hippo. Maybe the trade off with it is you're still as frail as whatever you were before? It is a crazy spell.

I looked it up for you, and here's the deal as far as the rules are concerned (which may ofcourse differ completely from what Sark decides he wants them to be).

It's an alteration spell, which means the caster actually physically changes, it is not an illusion. However, the caster doesn't receive any of the special abilities of the new form, only some of the basic ones. The Player's Book gives as an example that of an owl - the caster will be able to fly, but will have his own eyesight, not the heightened eyesight of an owl. Another example is that of becoming a 'black pudding' (a gelatinous monster), that can squeeze under doors, and slither across ceilings - the caster can do the door-squeezing, and the ceiling-slithering, but won't be able to use the creature's special combat abilities, like spitting acid.

More importantly, the caster keeps his or her own physical characteristics, like hit points, attack rolls and saving throws. Which basically means that a caster can change into a rhino but won't have any of the extra strength and combat ability of a rhino.

#17 Uncle Dracula

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLebanon NH

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:36 AM

Episode 69 and there's a steak out, did everyone expect this to be the best episode?

#18 telegramsam

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostUncle Dracula, on 08 April 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Episode 69 and there's a steak out, did everyone expect this to be the best episode?


I thought it was a pretty great episode. Lot's of action and funny shit. That one rat cook cutting his finger off was priceless.

#19 must turd

    half animal, part party machine

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

View Postqrter, on 07 April 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

I looked it up for you, and here's the deal as far as the rules are concerned (which may ofcourse differ completely from what Sark decides he wants them to be).

It's an alteration spell, which means the caster actually physically changes, it is not an illusion. However, the caster doesn't receive any of the special abilities of the new form, only some of the basic ones. The Player's Book gives as an example that of an owl - the caster will be able to fly, but will have his own eyesight, not the heightened eyesight of an owl. Another example is that of becoming a 'black pudding' (a gelatinous monster), that can squeeze under doors, and slither across ceilings - the caster can do the door-squeezing, and the ceiling-slithering, but won't be able to use the creature's special combat abilities, like spitting acid.

More importantly, the caster keeps his or her own physical characteristics, like hit points, attack rolls and saving throws. Which basically means that a caster can change into a rhino but won't have any of the extra strength and combat ability of a rhino.


thanks dude! that answers a lot

#20 arthwollipot

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

Polymorph Self was fixed (more or less) in later editions of the game.