🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 85 — Color of Night

Sex is very cool but very dangerous! Special guest Amy Schumer joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss Bruce Willis in the 1994 erotic mystery thriller Color of Night. They cover everything from the lipstick carousel, the baseball mitt chair, the sex in the pool scenes, Scott Bakula’s dick outline, and the big twist ending. Plus, after some amazing/disturbing Second Opinions, they’ll discuss the snake in the mailbox.

"When you say plot-"

"-How do you mean?"

Lololol

• Like 2

Epic fail! Hopefully Paul can cover some of this during corrections and omissions because they watched the wrong version of the movie. The distributor seems to have accidentally (and illegally) provided iTunes with the long lost and much hated "producers cut".

In short, during the editing process of COLOR OF NIGHT, the producers got nervous after lukewarm test screenings and created their own cut. The director found their version so unwatchable, he had a heart attack (seriously!). To head off a PR disaster, the producers and director came to a quick settlement. The producer's version would play in American theaters, then it would go away forever. The director's cut would play in theaters internationally, on VHS, cable, and any new formats to follow. So if you saw the film on cable, VHS, DVD, Netflix, or Amazon, you saw the Director's Cut that runs a full EIGHTEEN MINUTES longer than the awful "producer's cut". It's so different that many critics who panned the film in theaters wrote new reviews for the VHS release.

So pretty much everyone who has seen this movie since 1994 watched a different version than the one discussed in episode 85.

The Director's Cut of COLOR OF NIGHT is a camp classic because it features great talents in front and behind the camera going balls to the wall. The cinematography is beautiful, the transitions are clever, and the performances are deliciously over the top. Plus, the extra 18 minutes allow the mystery more room to unfold--there's too many characters/suspects otherwise. The producer's cut tried to simplify and shorten the film but only succeeded in creating an unwatchable mess.

It's a shame the crew wasted their time on a confusing, inferior version of the film. I think they would have had a lot of fun with it if there hadn't been a screwup over at iTunes.

If you haven't seen the film, it's worth watching, just make sure that you're looking at the 2hr 20min version.

• Like 2

Dale killed Casey, the painter, because as an artist he studies the human form and sooner or later Casey would have realized that Bonnie and Richie were the same person.

There were scenes where Willis' character was narrating stuff happening. I don't even know what that was all about. I wonder if it was in the script.

Epic fail! Hopefully Paul can cover some of this during corrections and omissions because they watched the wrong version of the movie. The distributor seems to have accidentally (and illegally) provided iTunes with the long lost and much hated "producers cut".

In short, during the editing process of COLOR OF NIGHT, the producers got nervous after lukewarm test screenings and created their own cut. The director found their version so unwatchable, he had a heart attack (seriously!). To head off a PR disaster, the producers and director came to a quick settlement. The producer's version would play in American theaters, then it would go away forever. The director's cut would play in theaters internationally, on VHS, cable, and any new formats to follow. So if you saw the film on cable, VHS, DVD, Netflix, or Amazon, you saw the Director's Cut that runs a full EIGHTEEN MINUTES longer than the awful "producer's cut". It's so different that many critics who panned the film in theaters wrote new reviews for the VHS release.

So pretty much everyone who has seen this movie since 1994 watched a different version than the one discussed in episode 85.

The Director's Cut of COLOR OF NIGHT is a camp classic because it features great talents in front and behind the camera going balls to the wall. The cinematography is beautiful, the transitions are clever, and the performances are deliciously over the top. Plus, the extra 18 minutes allow the mystery more room to unfold--there's too many characters/suspects otherwise. The producer's cut tried to simplify and shorten the film but only succeeded in creating an unwatchable mess.

It's a shame the crew wasted their time on a confusing, inferior version of the film. I think they would have had a lot of fun with it if there hadn't been a screwup over at iTunes.

If you haven't seen the film, it's worth watching, just make sure that you're looking at the 2hr 20min version.

I watched the 2hr 20 min version and I very much dispute that it was worth watching .

• Like 13

Second Opinions were amazing. Mind-boggling, but amazing. I demanded more of Dr. Jacques Coulardeau's opinions, so I looked him up on Amazon, and man, was it worth it.

In reading the review, Paul/Jason cut off my favorite line during the Second Opinions section. In its entirety:

I do breach that sworn confidentiality all the time, but this time no, not at all.

You can send Dexter and I won't do it either. I am not afraid of Dexter and anyway he will never be able to cut me into small pieces because I am protected the charm of my old years.

I looked at his Amazon Profile and was overjoyed by the madness I found there:

About Me

Travelling all over the world, I have little time to get out of the dream that life is, a virtual reality dream or a real virtuality dream, a dream all the same in which you can easily get bruised by some spiritual projectiles that are sharper and more cutting than any knife in the world. Be careful when you go out not to fall on a bad bad badder boy or a mad mad madder girl who may turn you into some kind of clown, fool or baboon. Think twenty times before speaking and turn your tongue in your brain twenty one time before thinking. And if you meet Bob Dylan's Lady Lay, make sure he/she has the gender you want and care for, because nowadays they have replaced two sexes by so many gneders you may get confused. And do not forget that any Dr, doctor or not, can be who knows what, you name it you have it.

From his Amazon Profile, I found his Myspace page (https://myspace.com/...cquescoulardeau), which led me to his Google+ page (https://plus.google....310357558/about), and from there his description of his chosen profession:

I devise and test didactic tools for the teaching of English, I do a lot of research, I publish all I can, I go to international conferences about everywhere in the world, I walk very often long distance in my mountains or in Paris or other cities, I love as many people as I can with my mind, my intellect and my empathy.

Yes, the man who wrote that insane, unreadable garbage of a review has worked for decades as an English Professor. I went on a journey to find this man, and I found something incredible.

Add him to your Circles.

• Like 7

I know it was discussed in the episode a little bit, but I can't seem to get over this. The fact that everyone was romantically involved with a woman with the same name and not have it raise a red flag to them, is the most ridiculous part of the movie to me.

It is reasonable to assume that Scott Bakula was dating a Bonnie as well, since Rose/Bonnie/Richie states that Rose only came back when she met Bruce Willis. So a group of 5 people are all talking about their lives, and how they recently met this new woman named Bonnie and not one (including the therapist) gets a whiff that something weird is going on?

I felt like Lesley Ann Warren was playing the same character that she played in Clue.

PS, why isn't Bruce Willis reporting any attempts on his life to the police?

• Like 1

but I can't seem to get over this. The fact that everyone was romantically involved with a woman with the same name and not have it raise a red flag to them, is the most ridiculous part of the movie to me.

It is so ridiculous in fact, that the cop makes fun of the whole group for it. That had to be a frustrated person rewriting the script that did that.

• Like 2

Ignore the guy trying to defend this movie. IT... IS.... HORRRible. Its not like "Tiptoes" where it was cut to absolute pieces and put together into an entirely different film. I fell asleep 20 minutes from the end, so I don't see how making this movie longer helped it at all.

I saw the 2 h 20 m version also and while I didn't think the movie was very good I didn't have a hard time following the plot or the motivations at all.

I'm surprised they didn't talk about my favourite part of the movie. The parking garage scene where the car is about 4 floors higher than Bruce Willis yet is able to stalk him. There is no way in the hell the driver of that car would have been able to see Bruce Willis during this scene.

Also in the UK the word "color" is spelled "colour" yet the dvd of this movie is called "Color Of Night" in the UK meaning the title is spelled wrong over here.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=82693

If you go to the above website it shows you all the differences between the directors cut and the regular cut. There is a scene where he goes to an eye doctor and explains his color blindness so at least that part is explained better in the directors cut.

I'm surprised they didn't talk about my favourite part of the movie. The parking garage scene where the car is about 4 floors higher than Bruce Willis yet is able to stalk him. There is no way in the hell the driver of that car would have been able to see Bruce Willis during this scene.

Forgot about that... I literally laughed out loud during that scene

• Like 1

I must have watched some heavily edited version of the movie.

I don't know why this movie focused so much on Bruce Willis and his color blindness when everybody in the movie apparently suffered from face blindness.

• Like 7

Well, a behaviourist is defined as 'one who studies behaviour, in humans or animals', though Capa seems unable to notice when Rose is behaving like a psycho crazy weirdo.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this movie was produced by Andrew Vajna; whose name was in the opening credits and the same producer that June wanted to change his name in the Judge Dredd episode.

• Like 4

From his Amazon Profile, I found his Myspace page (https://myspace.com/...cquescoulardeau), which led me to his Google+ page (https://plus.google....310357558/about), and from there his description of his chosen profession:

Yes, the man who wrote that insane, unreadable garbage of a review has worked for decades as an English Professor. I went on a journey to find this man, and I found something incredible.

Add him to your Circles.

It's going to be tough to get into his circle, I mean you're competing with Ashley Tisdale and Tom from Myspace.

jacquescircles_zpsb6128fa4.jpg

• Like 4

I'm surprised that no one mentioned this movie was produced by Andrew Vajna; whose name was in the opening credits and the same producer that June wanted to change his name in the Judge Dredd episode.

I noticed this. Nice to see Vajna cropping up again.

• Like 1

early 90s bruce willis sure did star in a lot of what some would call movies

• Like 4

Sex is very cool but very dangerous! Special guest Amy Schumer joins Paul, June, and Jason to discuss Bruce Willis in the 1994 erotic mystery thriller Color of Night. They cover everything from the lipstick carousel, the baseball mitt chair, the sex...

My podcast app cut off the description like this.

Anyone else notice that when Scott Bakula is trying to relax in his office the music he chooses to listen to is the soundtrack of the movie! It's the same sort of classical-music-from-a-circus-tent stuff that we hear throughout the film, and a very ominous track at that. Maybe he'd have had a better night if he played some of the more erotic music from the soundtrack.