🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 177 — Ugly Billionaires

We've got Kumail Nanjiani counting charts with your WieWie and Nntasha for another great episode of Who Charted?! On this week's Who Charted? we'll learn how Kumail votes in the Girls vs. Music debate, why you should skip having kids, and just have grandkids, and what it was like working on the new HBO show Silicon Valley. Plus Kumail talks video games and the crew has a very real and scary talk about Global Warming (move inland and learn how to use a knife). Don't forget to tweet in if you've got a boat for Natasha to ride!

• Like 1

Great, funny episode! Natasha fits perfectly into the vibe of the show, and Kumail is as reliable a guest as ever.

Also, I work at a movie theater in Knoxville, and I can attest to the growing church-supported Christian movie phenomenon discussed in this episode. In just the past couple months, we've gotten Son of God, God is (Not) Dead, and Heaven is for Real, and all of them have done gangbusters relative to how cheap these things must be to make. There have even been a few private screenings where a church will buy out a whole theater and the preacher will give a sermon after the film is over.

The whole thing feels very cynical and money-driven to me. Filmmakers keep cranking out these cheap, shitty movies with Christian themes, and then church leaders latch onto them as a way to make their message seem more accessible. It's really starting to feel like an industry unto itself, and everyone involved stands to gain something... except people who enjoy watching good movies.

• Like 5

I kinda wanna be an Uber driver in LA. From listening to podcasts, I assume that I'd only be picking up comedians. And yeah, I'd play podcasts in my Ubercar.

• Like 2

Kumail [explaining Thomas Haden Church]: "He was in Sideways."

Howard: "That's a great movie."

Kumail: "He was also the Sandman."

Howard: "No make-em-ups."

• Like 2

Awesome episode. This felt like Whooch in its purest form, cursory discussions of the chart entries branching into really interesting/fun discussions.

Uncle Boonlorm should become an Uber driver.

• Like 2

Not that I'm a Katy Perry superfan, but Katy does write a lot of her own music and is the first credited writer for "Dark Horse." Just sayin.

I kinda wanna be an Uber driver in LA. From listening to podcasts, I assume that I'd only be picking up comedians. And yeah, I'd play podcasts in my Ubercar.

yeah but can you compete with Stubnortz?

• Like 1

I agree- Kumail is a great guest. Super funny and has great stories, knowledge, and perspective. I find it fascinating that he has a better grasp of the English language than the two first language English speakers!

Awesome episode. This felt like Whooch in its purest form, cursory discussions of the chart entries branching into really interesting/fun discussions.

amen! this made me feel like i was listening to an episode ages ago. perfect - the reason why i started loving Whooch.

I was really glad to hear of this ep's lineup in last weeks TwoCh, as I remember thinking that last year's episode (from August I think?) with Kumail and Natasha as guest host was one of my favourite episodes of 2013. Both are excellent guests and bring an excellent energy to the show.

And, atop all else, today is apparently Cedric the Entertainer's 50th birthday. Whether hanging out in the buff with NL was an early present or not is up to both of them, but I doubt he was too upset.

Sign in to follow this