🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 178 — Wool Gatherer

Ku-Ku Vilaysack is back along with Whooch all-star Harris “Small Mouth” Wittels on this week’s WHO CHARTED! We’ll hear about the time Harris had an eyebrow piercing, the exclusive update on the future of Don’t Stop or We’ll Die, and how he spent his 30th birthday at Coachella while counting down the Top 5 Billboard Hot Rock Songs. During the Movie chart, Harris drops some wisdom as he explains what a Devil’s 3-way is, why he walked out of a Britney Spears show, and goes head to head with Howard during a round of Jaws is Better. Finally, Harris gets into why there are currently only 7 funny movies and why comedies don’t age well. It’s an episode filled with very important PSAs from the Wittler that you won’t want to miss!

Get prepared for summah by going to Howard Kremer’s Summah Summit on Saturday, May 3rd at 9pm at the Nerdmelt Showroom inside Meltdown Comics in Hollywood! Click here for tickets.

Make sure to grab yourself the Chart Theme Collection: 15 Charts for $3 over at howardkremer.bandcamp.com!

Also, just in time for summah, look cool in a Have a Summah t-shirt by going over to http://teespring.com/howardkremer!

"You know not know no jo-jayogrophy"

"Tropical Fruit Bubble Yum. Once it hit the market, it was just like 7 years, you just couldn't top it."

"Jaws is made out of simple ingredients found here on Earth."

• Like 1

Harris has a point about comedy not ageing well but I think he has targeted some of the wrong films and praised some of the wrong ones as well. Half Baked does not hold up at all, nor does Jackass. On the other and, what makes Dr. Strangelove no longer funny? That whole movie is basically one uncomfortable drawn out scene after another, which is basically what alt comedy is founded upon nowadays. I wonder what he thinks about Python. I went back and watched Flying Circus a bunch recently and I still think its very funny. Then again I don't mind putting it in the context of "it was okay to dress up and do silly voices in the 70s".

It's easy to be skeptical about anything that was trying to be funny even 10 years ago, but I think it comes across as aimlessly cynical at a certain point. Maybe if Harris emphasized that it was more of a laugh-out-loud type funny I would agree, but I think things can just be clever or make you smile and still be "funny". I will wholeheartedly agree that MacGruber is phenomenal though, so brilliant in its stupidity.

HUZZAH! The gang is back together! I'm elated that KuKu is back on the podcast! While Howard's departure will be missed while he's touring, the funny will be there in spirit. I like the idea of him and Brody taping their exploits on the road. It's been a while since I've done this but here we go....

TOP 5 KREMERISMS OF THIS WEEK'S EPISODE:

5. "He brings them to his home; He gives them the bone; And then he watches some clone- Orphan Black" - Howard on Harris' sex life. Not even 10 minutes into the show, Howard starting heavy funny. I'm sitting here at work a 7am and I'm laughing hard as hell.

4. "He's a drug chugger. He knows his stuff; pills powder, vapor..." - Howard on Harris' MDMA edification. Again, laughing here at my desk.

3. "Gathering wool; A man on the run. He doesn't stay over; he has his fun. He will use you; he uses his house to close to deal" - Howard on Harris having ladies sleeping over at his pad.

2. "Ladies, if you are feeling wooden and stiff, you want to feel young and whole again, see the Whitler"- Howard on Harris' "nickname" the Whitler.

and the Number One Kremerism of the Week (NUMBA ONE!):

1. "Too old to be chasing them girls all over that polo field...yeah!"- Howard's signing of Harris' summation of Coachella.

Not even 30 minutes in and I have Super brilliant Kremerisms.

I might have another 5 shortly....

tumblr_mib94dAvAE1s2g308o1_500.jpg

• Like 4

What a wonderful and triumphant return! Ku-Ku you bring the best Lady Sass in the biz. Ku-Ku & We-We you are my steel magnolias and that $hit is in full Bloom!

I been buying me up some Dragon Boy Suede and listening to back catalog Ku-Ku episodes keeping my day bright!

• Like 2

I agree with Wittels about Billy Madison and Wayne's World. Those were my childhood faves. Tommy boy and Anchorman/Step Brothers are somewhere up there too. But I still have a big appreciation for stuff like Caddyshack or Animal House even if it doesn't make LOL as much. Is this just a generational thing?

I think its common knowledge that Caddyshack is 2 different films. You've got all the Bill Murray parts that are funny, then there's the boring Chevy Chase golf stuff. There's a lot of old comedies I'd put over Caddyshack. A movie like Blazing Saddles is pretty old, but it still stands up strong with all the comedies that have come after it. Unlike Caddyshack. Silver Streak is another example. The first half is boring as hell. Then Richard Pryor shows up and its funny.

Cibo Matto name drop made me really happy!

GREAT episode. The joy in the room was palpable.

ALMOST FORGOT. The Apple Sisters have a great shut up song.

• Like 1

Great ep, Harris is always a great guest and happy to have KuKu and WieWie back together even if it's only for a week. I'm interested to see who Ku gets as substitute Wie for the next few weeks. Please bring Armen back!!!

Great episode. Enjoying the return of Ku, and Wittels is always fun. I should probably watch 'Shack at some point to see what the big deal is, but I like most of Harris' picks.

Technical Notes:

What's the deal with the music playing about 45 minutes in???

Yeah, what was that? Stard not realize that was all coming through? Also, this week was WAY echo-ier than last week, and sounded like there was no compression going on. Not quite up to Nerdist levels (ie. sounds like it's recorded in a board room across a giant table), but not going the right direction at Earwolf Location 3.

Yeah, what was that? Stard not realize that was all coming through? Also, this week was WAY echo-ier than last week, and sounded like there was no compression going on. Not quite up to Nerdist levels (ie. sounds like it's recorded in a board room across a giant table), but not going the right direction at Earwolf Location 3.

Sorry about that, small goof. I replaced the file.

I'm still attenuating the noise level in the larger second studio, the first round of panels wasn't enough. There is plenty of compression going on. In fact it's compression that amplifies the roominess. Sorry it bugged you, Earwolf 3 will be up to standard soon.

• Like 4

I think its common knowledge that Caddyshack is 2 different films. You've got all the Bill Murray parts that are funny, then there's the boring Chevy Chase golf stuff.

I wouldn't quite split it like that, because Dangerfield and Knight are also great (mostly "golf stuff"), but yeah, most of the stuff with just Chase and/or Noonan isn't so good. Anyway, I agree with Harris's overall premise, but would call Caddyshack a major exception.

Anyway, like everyone else has said, great to have Ku back and the show in top form.

I'm still attenuating the noise level in the larger second studio, the first round of panels wasn't enough. There is plenty of compression going on. In fact it's compression that amplifies the roominess. Sorry it bugged you, Earwolf 3 will be up to standard soon.

Ah, I see. I guess I didn't consider different studios. It wasn't terrible or anything, just sounding so different from last week made me take notice. Side note, I've really enjoyed the Stard / Howard rapport we've been able to hear in recent weeks, especially the Stard Alley ep.

Trust me, I would fire myself if I didn't have that setting already turned off. It wasn't the volume keys, it was some weird prompt in iTunes that apparently ignores that setting, that's why it was actually a pain to recreate on cue.

• Like 1

Trust me, I would fire myself if I didn't have that setting already turned off. It wasn't the volume keys, it was some weird prompt in iTunes that apparently ignores that setting, that's why it was actually a pain to recreate on cue.

Yeah, definitely not volume related. That was the classic Mac OS alert sound "Funk". You should be able to stop any alert noise, if you want, by turning the alert volume all the way down. But then you might sacrifice future comedy gold...

Sorry about that, small goof. I replaced the file.

Oddly, it seemed like the background music kicked in whenever Wittels was getting ready to go off on a rant. I thought you did it intentionally, like a "The More You Know" bedding.

Sign in to follow this