🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 395 — White Privilege

Gabe Delahaye & Andrew talk about a caller’s question about the narrative of white privilege. Make sure to leave us a message about anything you think is racist at (323) 389-RACE.

• Like 2

Joshie, after reading your comment, it is clear that you do not understand white privilege at all, probably because you are directly benefiting from it. White privilege is not about money; it is about access. So, the poor white folks in Appalachia that you bring up (which only makes up .0000001 percent of the white population in this country, BTW), still have more access than any of Chris Rock's children will ever have --- and he's rich!

White privilege is not being treated like a criminal every time you leave your house. It is being given the benefit of the doubt that you are a human being that has intelligence and feelings. It is not losing your job because you are not a "cultural fit." It is not being The Other.

Your feeling that word is "clunky" is one shared by many of the privileged group because very few of you can wrap your mind around the idea that the way you have been treated is better than other people. And God forbid something tragic happen in one your lives, then it's all, "My parents died when I was 10! Was that privileged?! White people have pain too!" But what about the black child whose parents have died? He has to deal with that AND the fact that society sees him as a future criminal, no matter what he does.

Buddy, the word is perfect and fits exactly all of the parameters you stated -- privileged in prerogatives; privileged by choice; and privilege by the system and laws.

• Like 2

VYc0QqP.jpg

you are so so dumb shariq. go back and try to comprehend again. no argument was made that contradicts what white privilege is. you could save yourself a lot of time by just listening to people instead of trying to hear yourself talk

I got the point just fine, Joshie. White privilege is "clumsy" and a "clunky" phrase because there was this one white guy who was broke this one time.

Sign in to follow this