🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 34 — The 11 Nations of America?

Where you live in the United States determines a hell of a lot more than whether "coke" means Coca-Cola or "every single carbonated beverage." It can also mean the difference between sauce on your pizza or nothing, the difference between honor killings or, uh, not honor killings, the difference between a time machine and an ... ATM? Yep. But, it goes deeper than how you pronounce "ruin" and "grocery" or whether you call toilet-papering a house "TPing" or "rolling" a house. It may be that we aren't all even living in the same nation.

On today's podcast Cracked editors Jack O'Brien, Kristi Harrison and Jason Pargin discuss America's crazy regional differences, and talk with Colin Woodard (author of 'American Nations') about his claim that the fifty American states are actually eleven distinct nations. Whether the land you live on was conquered by Spain (Florida), France (Louisiana), stuffy British slave lords (the South) or Braveheart (Appalachia) determines how you view the government, law and so much more. Throw on your headphones and click play above.

i kind of agree too, it's an interesting theory but it's far to neat and tidy and overlooks a lot of more more specific regional things.

For example, I grew up in Buffalo, NY, according to this theory its apparently part of Yankeedom, as well as the rest of the great lakes region but it's nothing like Boston or the rest of the New England. The language, the culture etc. doesn't really match as far as i know. It's very specific location has made it a weird hybrid of of a lot of cultures. It was founded by French fur traders, not the English and it's real boom into a major city was due to it's placement at the other end of the Erie Canal which lead to a huge influx of people and trade coming up from NYC, at the same time it also has a lot more in common with the midwest than the east, like saying pop instead of soda. plus there's all kind of other weird cultural traditions, like, is there anywhere else in the country where they celebrate Dyngus Day? it's a weird Polish holiday where you throw water on girls and hit them with pussy willows. it's real!

I agree that the "11 nations" theory makes sense in a lot of ways but that it overstates the significance. I would see it more as a base on which American subcultures are laid down upon, and not as basically what defines every subculture.

Sign in to follow this